Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Instant on
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2007, 02:32 

I wonder what the wear and tear issues would be on this. There might be significant wear on the RAM if it has constant power to it.

Does the HDD's stay on or just the RAM?

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2007, 02:36 
Insiders
Insiders

RAM wearing out due to constant power is not likely :)

The only thing powered is the RAM (and the motherboard of course)

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2007, 04:21 

Hrmm, i bumped my system bus up to 210 from 200, from within the bios and it seems to be staying that way according to Everest. Although i haven't left my system in Stand by for longer than a minute. I'll do some more tinkering around with setting and Speedfan to see if im missing something. I can't adjust the cpu multiplier or fan speeds on my KN1 SLI Lite though.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2007, 18:58 

What are the requirements for this power state (besides a motherboard that supports it, obviously)? I'm trying this on my ABIT NF7-S v2 but once I go into standby, I can't pull it out. I'm forced to power down and back up. I've tried this on my friend's computer (DFI LanParty NF4? I forget) and it works fine, so I don't *think* I'm doing anything wrong... >_>

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2007, 00:13 

What are the requirements for this power state (besides a motherboard that supports it, obviously)? I'm trying this on my ABIT NF7-S v2 but once I go into standby, I can't pull it out. I'm forced to power down and back up. I've tried this on my friend's computer (DFI LanParty NF4? I forget) and it works fine, so I don't *think* I'm doing anything wrong... >_>

I've no clue what the requirements are myself. I thought it would just be the motherboard since the bios is whats controlling this function (I'm assuming). Whats your O/S? I looked at your NF7-s manual and it doesnt describe in detail what is supossed to happen, so im not sure. The only thing i can think of trying is play with the different "power on" settings, and see if you can't get the system to wake up from a different source, like the keyboard. Do all the fans turn off as well?

I know i can't get my USB keyboard (Zippy EL610) to resume by pressing a key, so i hope you have better luck.

Heres the options i would play with from your manual. Probably easier to read if you have your manual, or download it from Abit.com.

Power Button Function:
Two options are available: Delay 4 Sec or Instant-Off. The default setting is Instant-Off. It is activated when the user presses the power button for more than four seconds while the system is in the working state, then the system will transition to the soft-off (Power off by software). This is called the power button over-ride.
Wakeup by PME# of PCI:
Two options are available: Disabled or Enabled. The default setting is Disabled. When set to Enabled, any event affecting from PCI card (PME) will awaken a system that has powered down.
Wakeup by Ring:
Two options are available: Disabled or Enabled. The default setting is Disabled. When set to Enabled, any event affecting from Modem Ring will awaken a system that has powered down.
Wakeup by Alarm: (NF7/NF7-S/NF7-M)
Two options are available: Disabled or Enabled. The default setting is Disabled. When set to Enabled, you can set the date and time at which the RTC (real-time clock) alarm awakens the system from Suspend mode.
Time (hh:mm:ss) of Alarm:
You can set the Date (month) Alarm and Time Alarm (hh:mm:ss). Any event occurring will awaken a system that has powered down.
User’s Manual
3-26 Chapter 3
USB Resume from S3/S4: (NF7-S2/NF7-S2G)
When set to [Enabled], this item allows you to use a USB device to wake up a system that is in the S3/S4 state.
Power-On by Alarm: (NF7-S2/NF7-S2G)
Two options are available: Disabled or Enabled. The default setting is Disabled. When set to Enabled, you can set the date and time at which the RTC (real-time clock) alarm awakens the system from Suspend mode.
Day of Month Alarm/ Time (hh:mm:ss) Alarm:
You can set the Date (month) Alarm and Time Alarm (hh:mm:ss). Any event occurring will awaken a system that has powered down.
Power On Function:
This item selects the way you want your system to power on.
[Password]: Use a password to power on the system, select this option then press . Enter your password. You can enter up to 5 characters. Type in exactly the same password to confirm, and then press .
[Hot KEY]: Use any of the function keys between to to power on the system.
[Mouse Left]: Double click the mouse left button to power on the system.
[Mouse Right]: Double click the mouse right button to power on the system.
[Any KEY]: Use any keyboard keys to power on the system.
[BUTTON ONLY]: Use only the power button to power on the system.
[Keyboard 98]: Use the power-on button on the “Keyboard 98â€Â

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2007, 07:57 

Thanks for your help. To my understanding, all I need is the motherboard and OS to work together. I'm currently using a 2 month-old install of XP Pro SP2. I'll try to play around with some things tomorrow morning.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2007, 04:07 

Did you get it working infernus?

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2007, 11:50 
Editors
Editors

I tried this on an Nforce2 mobo as well and it wouldn't return from standby. On my Nforce4 it works fine. I didn't have time to stay and play with the settings, but I'm not sure what the problem could be. It's like it can't wake up the Hard Drive or something. :?

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2007, 01:14 

OK, I'm impressed. Works a charm.

I changed in my BIOS to the [S3(STR)] option for the "ACPI Suspend Type" like you said.

Then in Windows i changed the function of my power button to "standby" instead of what it was currently on "Power Off". Now Windows says "Preparing for Standby" or whatever on the logoff screen for about 3 seconds, and the PC shuts down. Hit the power button and it's on before my monitor's even warmed up.

Thumbs up from me!

Edit: I can't understand why this isn't default?! :shock:

I swear to all that is unholy and M$, you say crap like that and you know what i got? Vista with default option to SLEEP when you hit the power button, but I never use the sleep so mine was on S1, and when I went to power back up, it completely jacked everything up, your wish came true in Vista, much to my anguish (had to reflash BIOS and reset all the settings, including finely tuned memory timings.)

Now as far as the questions go as to "Why isn't this working when I have it set to S3?", I'll be more than happy to answer; incompatible hardware. Not the harddrive, not the soundcard, not the motherboard, none of that. Wanna know what the most common culprit is? Video card. I'll explain why.

On my motherboard's options I have the option for S3 as well, but when I turn that on, I get an extra option that shows up underneath it: "Initialize video BIOS on Resume: Enabled" the other option is "Disabled".

When the computer goes to S3, it cuts off power to most of the motherboard, mainly the northbridge/southbridge, and thus cuts power to the video card (usually it's a southbridge connected device), just leaving the RAM powered so they don't clear.

Now here's the reason S3 doesn't work sometimes: Some video cards have to go through a whole boot procedure themselves before they can be used to even show the boot screens. The easiest way to tell if this is the case, is if your video card powers up the monitor and displays some sort of stats screen saying it's model and ram etc etc. This means it's got a funky boot that requires running before the card can be used. (This is usually the case, but there ARE cards out there without these screens that do need to do their own boot before BIOS can run.) Now with that "Initialize video BIOS on Resume" option I have, when I come out of S3, if I have one of these cards that are picky, I can set this to enabled, thus making the computer tell the video card the system is booting up, and waiting for it to become ready before running the system from memory again. If you don't have this option and you have one of these weird video cards, you need to try S1. It leaves more of the system powered on (almost all of it,) but tries to power down as much of the system as possible. It keeps the southbridge, the memory, and the power supply all enabled and attempts to power down the rest, this way if you have a weird card that needs it's own exclusive boot, you can still power down and save some money.

I hope people could understand that, I kinda rattled that off. I hope it was helpful and informative as well.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2007, 02:14 
Editors
Editors

Yep thanks, I'll look take a look in the BIOS to see if there's such option the next time i can. The card's an FX5200 though so i wouldn't have thought it would be one of these 'funky' cards.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next