Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Instant on
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2007, 01:41 

Why wait for a boot up if you don't have to!

On my ECS Kn1 board using the [S3(STR)] option for the "ACPI Suspend Type" when the system suspends, it completely shuts off, except for supplying juice to the ram. When i press the power button again on the case, it takes about 4-8 seconds to get back to the desktop with everything FULLY ready. It seems to only take 8 seconds if i immediately power back on after suspending, but if its been awhile, like if i wait for a few seconds or the next day it takes only 4-6 seconds. You can tweak it further if you go into Power Options in the Control Panel, select the Advanced tab and uncheck the box for "Prompt for password when the computer returns from stand by".

At first i was only curious about it because i assumed general system performance would degrade after a few hours or days of use with the same boot. A good "old"(?) reboot seems to fix all kinds of odd problems as well as freeing ram, so at first i wasn't all that excited. That is until i played Dark Messiah 3 times through in a row, over the course of about 15 days using the sleep function with no noticeable (to me) degrading in system performance what-so-ever! The HDD is hardly used when resuming for an added bonus.

This is a first for me so i'm really clueless about why i've only just noticed this, whether is because of the motherboard, or whether im just ignorant because i've never played with the ACPI Suspend Type setting before. But if you'd like your desktop to show up, ready to go, by the time you've gotten yourself comfortable in your chair, give this a shot.

Have fun,

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2007, 01:54 

I L I KE I T :!:

Do you need a special motherboard to get this function rockin? I think it is a great way to save energy vs saving time. I'm sick of turning my PC off then rebooting it after a day, or leaving it on all night because I thought I was going to get back to it.

Yes, I am a big fan of this one.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2007, 02:08 

I L I KE I T :!:

Do you need a special motherboard to get this function rockin?.

Thats what im wondering. Try checking your bios under Power Management(make sure you don't need to scroll down). I checked my MB manual and its description of the S3 option reflects what im seeing. I have no other MB or manual to check. Im off for dinner, ill be back shortly, i hope you all love this as much as i do.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2007, 02:12 

What are you having for dinner?

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2007, 05:22 

lol, im going to my local Whole Foods, which is a contemporany grocery store that sells organics and healthier alternative brands and they have a "food bar". I had an assortment of greens, curry and a slice of pizza. :lol:

Did you try it yet?

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2007, 06:19 

Mmmmm curry, greens, pizza mmmmmmm.

Negative, I am work, I have to earn a living so I can eat those things above. mmmmmmmmmm.

I will try this some time at home.

Post subject: Re: Instant on
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2007, 08:10 

One other thing of note. When you log back on from Stand by, XP loads up the user selection screen first and requires you to select yourself, even if your a single user :roll: . I spent the last couple night trying to figure out how to disable this extra work because i have a feeling it adds a second or more to the resume process, although im not 100% sure. Its just that im seeing the desktop photo flash across the screen just a few seconds after i press power on, then a few seconds goes by and the user selection screen pops up.

If you disable the user selection option, Xp will force a password protection window to pop up which may or may not also affect resume times. Im still trying to figure out how to bypass both of these requirements because im just a single user with no need for a password.

Get TweakUI from Microsoft XP's Powertoys; using that, there is a setting called Logon. Inside that setting is a sub-setting called Autologon; you can set that to your account, and it should bypass the logon screen all together.

Nice find on the Suspend stuff; I always ignored it as I thought it was designed for laptops.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2007, 08:57 
Editors
Editors

Hibernation rocks, I use it all the time on my Mac Pro. :rockout
Currently I'm running a boot for about a month or so. :P

I recommend it to everybody if it's available to your system.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2007, 09:31 

Evil: I gave TweakUI a try, but i only works for the normal boot. In fact i think i've tried doing that before directly using "control userpasswords2" from "Run". Nice program though, thanks.

Im going to keep looking for an answer, and if anyone else wants to troubleshoot, i won't stop ya :D I'll post if and when i find an answer. I also noticed that you just have to press enter for both the user-selection "welcome" screen and the alternative password protection screen, so its not a horribly big deal, but would be nice to solve imo.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2007, 10:02 

SOLVED!!! Now its a 3 second boot!! (after you wait a sec as described above)

Ok, so its really simple. To disable the password prompt: go into control panel> power management> advanced, and then unckeck the "Prompt for password when comuter resumes from standby" and thats it for a 3 second psuedo-boot. Im running a 3800+, 1 gig ram, ECS KN1 SLI Lite and a 7950 GX2. So a faster system might bring better results i can only assume.

3 seconds people! lol :lol: :shock: :)