Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:53

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Game Resolution Switcher
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2005, 13:29 

0.5.0 is now out on the site, with a radicially different GUI. It also adds support for the Doom 3 expansion and Quake 4.

The code base behind the program has been changed quite a bit this time, and hooks now exist for some exciting features in the future. While I also won't be bound to this, expect 0.6 to adjust the FOV to look right for games like Unreal Tournament 2004.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2005, 21:51 

Quickly following 0.5.0 is 0.5.1 now on the site. It's nothing major, but does add support for the two new popular simulation games. Black & White 2 and Civilization IV now are supported.

Either grab the new version off the site or use the in program upgrade option.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2005, 20:56 

umm are you aware that you have hard coded in the timebomb to suit month/day/yr dates instead of the australian day/month/year date sytem? The result is that aussies cannot use the software at all!

Cheers

DropBear

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2005, 01:01 

Brown bag release 0.5.2 is now on the site. Fixes one bug, the accidental hardcoding of the wrong date format into the program. It now works no matter how you have your date format set.

Sorry about that.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2006, 08:40 

0.6.5 is posted, allowing GRS to run again. I've extended the timebomb out to 90 days, and made some improvements as well. Not sure where I am going with the program now, but this gives me another 90 days to decide. I'd really like to get an OS X version working as well, but the new job has kept me pretty busy lately. I still need to expose the FOV functionality in the public version sometime, the code is in there, but it is not to the point I am comfortable with releasing it.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2006, 23:23 

great apps there. I am new to widescreen community as I just got my ws yesterday. Still trying out new stuffs but was also having problems with games not supporting WS.

Anyway, they way you are doing your GPS seems to be a lot of hardcoding. Would it be possible to support something like plugin where others can help to create WS support for other games? I mean, you will have limited time if all the coding need to be done by you alone. And by allowing third party to help, more games will be supported.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2006, 03:37 

My overall plan was to try and get it to the point where the game details are held in an XML file that the program loads and parses. Thus, adding new games would be possible for those technically inclined, but without needing to tinker with source code. Lately I haven't done much with the code, but have been feeling the itch to go back and revisit it. I'll likely toss this towards the top of the list, so that even with dry spells in new program code, the games it supports can be expanded.

Not sure what I am going to do about Vista though. Pretty much the program can't run under the default vista user login, and even running it as an admin cripples some functions. Sadly the security in Vista is pretty much just a paper sheet bolted on to ancient code that only gives the illusion of security. It also manages to break a lot of things and inconvenience users.

PostPosted: 04 May 2007, 19:26 

I am VERY interested. I would love to span Half-Life accross all three monitors! I just went to download the BETA but I am a couple months too late.

Is there and updated release?

-TV

PostPosted: 05 May 2007, 23:49 

then the game will be set to 1440:1050 and will result in black bars on the left and right sides. This way the game is not distorted.

Just a note: Proper 4:3 resolution for 1050 is 1400x1050, not 1440x1050.