Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2006, 07:37 

Yea, if I use centered output I get black bars on all sides. But if I use fixed aspect ratio scaling I get black bars only on the top and bottom and none on the sides. It looks like it is trying to make it 16:9 and not 4:3.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2006, 21:29 

Hi to all , I'm new here ... and from Italy , so excuse my bad Eng.Lang. :D , got the same problems of all that come in this thread (play with the right aspect-ratio on wide monitors) ... I've got a GeForce-7300LE and a PackardBell Maestro 19"Lcd (native res. 1440x900 at 75Hz) all gone well while playing wide games, but with Zylom's ones (gamehouse is the same) and the trylogy of Power of Chaos and others It's a really matter to play with all the game screen stretched :( :( I'll tried to find the mentioned options in the factory nvidia settings menu ... no luck for this :( So I'm here to ask you if I could try to use the omega ones , the answer is just for the time-to-date of this ones (2005) ... thanx in advance for any type of suggestions :D

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2006, 21:31 

So ... no one of the senior could help me a little bit ? :(

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2006, 22:20 
Editors
Editors

So ... no one of the senior could help me a little bit ? :(

Take a look at this if you are using a DVI connection:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php?title=Nvidia:_Finding_the_Digital_Flat_Panel_Settings_Tab

That tab won't be availible if you are using a VGA connection. Maybe Powerstrip can get black bars when using vga, I haven't tried it.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2006, 07:57 

Good Afternoon All,

(I posted something similar to this elsewhere on this forum, but probably in the wrong place ... so I have re-posted here, and apolgize if this offends.)

I have tried all the usual fixes described on this bulletin board, but to no avail. I play Red Baron (but not at present), Fighter Squadron, and Battle of Britain - all of which are 4:3 games with no game-based widescreen option.

I have an nVidia based Albatron PC6600GT video card and a Viewsonic VA1912w (widescreen) LCD monitor.

I have downloaded last month's drivers from nVidia (version 9.1.3.1), and Viewsonic's most modern drivers. I have clicked the Fixed Aspect Ratio Scaling option on the nVidia's software and also chosen the timing option for Fixed Aspect Ratio scaling in the Advanced Timing Options.

BUT ... everything is still stretched!! What else can I do? What have I NOT done?

OR does the 6600GT series not ACTUALLY support Fixed Aspect Ratio Scaling, despite the fact that it appears to do so in the drivers?? Or, does the Viewsonic have a process which re-stretches everything. I do not believe that I have a 1:1 option on the OSD.

Regards,
George (and getting a bit desperate)

P.S. I have not tried the PowerStrip option, because I have spent SO much time on fiddling with this, and it would APPEAR that the nVidia control panel SHOULD be able to fix the problem. (Another contributor has had trouble with his VA1912w too. Extra frustration comes when Viewsonic phone support say their monitor "doesn't have a driver or software", but on their website they have THREE drivers, and without a driver installed, the screen runs in about 16 colours.)

PPS: I had no trouble getting my Dell laptop with ati X300 Mobility Radeon to work ... just unclicked the "monitor scaling" option and all is perfect 4*3 with black bars at the edge. I thought that it might be the same with nVidia :(

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2006, 15:39 

GeorgeBoles...

Sometimes a monitor automatically scales the image being output from your PC, no matter what you set your control panel to. It can be very frustrating.

For example I just purchased a LG L204WT (hi everyone, first post!!) and it'll automatically scale any image size 1280 X 1024 or under up to the panel's resolution. It's a pain in the butt as I would perfer black bars to a stretched image.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2006, 22:16 

Hello all, second post here. I posted first about this problem lower down in the forum, but this seems like a place is should go, either instead of or aswell as. :)

I recently bought myself a new setup with a 19" Widescreen Chimei CMV 938D. Now, my video card (Nvidea) has the option to fix the aspect ratio, but unfortunately it does not seem to be working and I think it may be down to the monitor itself.

Does anyone have any suggestion as to what I could do to force my monitor to show 4:3 things with black bars instead of streching everything to buggery?

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2006, 23:58 

I too can not get this to work.
Benq fp92w + xfx 7600gs agp. Latest Forceware drivers ( 93.71 ).

Yes its connected via DVI ...

I am wondering if I should plug it in with d-sub and start playing with custom timings.

Post subject: ATI INF File
PostPosted: 25 Nov 2006, 04:14 

I have a Toshiba with a Radeon Mobility 9000 IGP that has the Fixed Aspect Ratio scaling if I install the original older driver that comes from Toshiba, but I lose it if I upgrade to a more recent version of the Catalyst driver series. I would like to get this functionality back.

I was looking through the older drivers INF file for any potential clues to what might be going on and I came across this entry:

[ati2mtag_RS300M_SoftwareDeviceSettings]

HKR,, DALRULE_GETLCDFAKEEDID, %REG_DWORD%, 1

In the Toshiba INF it has a value of "1" (on) but in the INF from the more recent revision of the driver it has a value of "0" (off). However, I don't know enough about INF/Registry entries to really do anything useful with it. I know EDID has been mentioned before as having something to do with this situation so I thought this might be helpful.

The link below is to the full INF:

http://members.aol.com/miscfilestorage/CX_15460.inf

If the entry I mentioned isn't anything important I figure the answer must be somewhere within the older drivers INF file since the entries in it are much different than the modern drivers INF. Hopefully someone that knows more about how these drivers work and the structure of the INF's can do something with it.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2006, 06:54 

Is this helpful to anyone working on the ATI "Fixed Aspect Ratio" problem:

http://ati.amd.com/developer/sdk/ccc/ATI.ACE.CLI.Aspect.DeviceLCD.Graphics.Shared.LCDImageScaleProperties.html

http://ati.amd.com/developer/sdk/ccc/ATI.ACE.CLI.Aspect.DeviceLCD.Graphics.Shared.LCDImageScale.html

The second link says that UseCenteredTiming=0, ScaleFullPanelsize=1, and ScaleMaintainAspectRatio=2.

This setting must be stored somewhere, otherwise it wouldn't remember what is selected. We just need to find out where it it stored and change the 0 or 1 to a 2, so it uses that setting instead.

I could be wrong since I really don't understand exactly how this works, but hopefully someone around here will know how to use it or knows someone that can make it work.

Does anyone know if we can access this using the CLI or the DeveloperConsole directly?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next