Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 20:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 12:03 

Hey guys!

A lot of gamers have been caught off guard by the latest happenings in the world of cryptocurrency mostly because of radically altered graphics card prices. I won't be surprised if this isn't the last time cryptocurrencies cause a shortage of gaming GPUs... Do you know any other reasons why graphics card prices skyrocketing? What are your opinions? :idea: :?:

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2017, 09:32 

Skai_47 wrote:
Hey guys!

A lot of gamers have been caught off guard by the latest happenings in the world of cryptocurrency mostly because of radically altered graphics card prices. I won't be surprised if this isn't the last time cryptocurrencies cause a shortage of gaming GPUs... Do you know any other reasons why graphics card prices skyrocketing? What are your opinions? :idea: :?:

Agreed:/ I'm interested to see how this will play out:)

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2017, 13:54 

i don't think so, i see a lot of gamers who are playing, dabbling with crypto currencies on the side and then ending up making profits and buying stuff they need

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2017, 23:43 
Editors
Editors

Didn't the currency drop this week and mining broke down?
So all the fuss is already over?

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2017, 11:41 

I guess..Bitcoin crashes all the time, it will suffer from prices drops, and will also enjoy price increases.. Cryptocurrencies were once underground and obscure before it became mainstream, similar to gaming

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2017, 15:41 

Skai_47 wrote:
I guess..Bitcoin crashes all the time, it will suffer from prices drops, and will also enjoy price increases.. Cryptocurrencies were once underground and obscure before it became mainstream, similar to gaming

i would actually disagree that it fluctuates so often, my friend invests in it and so far there was one drop this month, but now it is steadily increasing. before the drop it also had stable small fluctuations

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2017, 17:42 

Dojuer wrote:
i don't think so, i see a lot of gamers who are playing, dabbling with crypto currencies on the side and then ending up making profits and buying stuff they need
You don't think what? That graphics card prices have skyrocketed as a result of mining? Because they clearly have, just check the prices online. AMD cards usually over MSRP, when they're available. Even on the Nvidia side prices have risen, and the 1070 is almost as much as the 1080.

And I find the claim that a lot of gamers are making a profit by dabbling in mining dubious. From what I've read, you can certainly dabble in it as a hobby and maybe make a few bucks if your electricity costs are low enough. But making any kind of serious money requires a commitment and a dedicated setup.

It's absolutely a problem for gamers, but not necessarily one for vendors. They could make dedicated mining cards that would be more appealing for miners, and this return the GPU prices back to normal, but if their cards are selling out at MSRP or above I'm not sure that there's much incentive for them to do so outside of the positive PR.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2017, 11:32 
Editors
Editors

AMD did create special Mining cards.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3204149/ ... ifies.html

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2017, 13:40 

Timobkg wrote:
Dojuer wrote:
You don't think what? That graphics card prices have skyrocketed as a result of mining? Because they clearly have, just check the prices online. AMD cards usually over MSRP, when they're available. Even on the Nvidia side prices have risen, and the 1070 is almost as much as the 1080.

And I find the claim that a lot of gamers are making a profit by dabbling in mining dubious. From what I've read, you can certainly dabble in it as a hobby and maybe make a few bucks if your electricity costs are low enough. But making any kind of serious money requires a commitment and a dedicated setup.

It's absolutely a problem for gamers, but not necessarily one for vendors. They could make dedicated mining cards that would be more appealing for miners, and this return the GPU prices back to normal, but if their cards are selling out at MSRP or above I'm not sure that there's much incentive for them to do so outside of the positive PR.

I guess I was wrongly informed, thanks for clarifying.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2017, 15:49 

Dojuer wrote:
Timobkg wrote:
Dojuer wrote:

I guess I was wrongly informed, thanks for clarifying.
I didn't realize just how bad it had gotten until I looked at current prices.

The GTX 1070 is starting at $480, $100 over its MSRP. It suddenly makes the $550 1080 look like a better value by comparison.

The GTX 1060 6GB starts at $290, only slightly cheaper than the launch price of the 970.

But AMD stock has been completely decimated, to the point where people are putting (heavily) used RX 480 and 580 cards up for $400.

The good news is it looks like Vega will be less appealing to miners, and mining is starting to dry up for the less dedicated as evidenced by the used cards increasingly flooding eBay.