Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 11:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2015, 04:45 
Editors
Editors

Ran across this today via reddit:

http://www.tribesuniverse.com/ (Downloads are refreshingly strings-free. )

I have many fond memories of Tribes 2. Definitely need to put this into the family gaming rotation in the next year or two.

Nice job Hi-Rez.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2015, 18:05 
Editors
Editors

The only game i've played from Tribes was Ascend, and that only for a short duration ^^

But it's nice to get a download link for old games from the publisher himself :)

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2017, 23:22 

Thank you for posting this.

I spent most of a summer as a kid playing this since I wasnt old enough to drive and was living in BFE. I use to play the original tribes on dialup. Then I shotgunned two 56k modems and the lag drop was a game changer. The best part about the games was the ease of mods. Almost every server used different mods or scrips. Running your own dedicated server was free as well, I modded a little turret to make a chaingun turret and ran it on a modded map. I logged in and spectated and thought it was funny to watch that thing wipe out the random person that logged in to checkout the server.

My all time favorite server was the diamond multimedia servers where you had almost unlimted jet pack and every weapon was auto. They also had a nuke option. I accidentally nuked my own base and to punish me the mods did this command which kept me from being able to shoot and had a large cactus sticking out of my crotch.

I only mention this because these were great games at a time when a lots of customization were available. Before the COD buy your upgrade business model.