Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2012, 20:54 

Amazon/Gamestop/Ebay/etc. vs. Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo/EA/etc.

http://kotaku.com/5879202/sources-the-next-xbox-will-play-blu+ray-may-not-play-used-games-and-will-introduce-kinect-2

But that disc detail could be far less impactful to the next generation of game consoles than the assertion I've heard from one reliable industry source that Microsoft intends to incorporate some sort of anti-used game system as part of their so-called Xbox 720.

It's not clear if that means that the system wouldn't play used games or how such a set-up would work. Obvious approaches—I'm theorizing here—like linking a copy of a game to a specific Xbox Live account could seemingly be foiled by used-game owners who would keep their system offline. My source wasn't sure how Microsoft intended to implement any anti-used game system in the new machine.

A push in any way by Microsoft against used games would likely be cheered from publishers sick of seeing retailers like GameStop crow about their revenues from the sale of used games. But it could potentially anger consumers who rely on buying cheaply-sold used games or even pass games to relatives or friends.

Does this mean no more crappy launch DLC?

Welcome to our world chumps! -Random PC gamer

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2012, 22:03 
Editors
Editors

Seems like they've learnt something from Steam!

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2012, 19:59 

Looks like publishers don't want my money. I usually rent from Gamefly to try a game before deciding if I want to buy it. The same goes for PC games if it's available on consoles. If this is all true, of course. This is still speculation at this point.

I also watch people play games I'm interested in by watching them play it online. I decided to buy Dark and Demon's Souls this way. Of course this could be impossible in the future, too, if something like SOPA or ACTA is passed...

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2012, 20:37 

I think my position on this issue had been decided for me.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/prototype-2-radnet-edition-includes-55-dlc-drops-6349479

According to Activision, every gamer who preorders a copy of Prototype 2 for either the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 will score access to Radnet and its content through a onetime-use code. Additionally, the content will be available to those who pick up a new copy of the game at launch, though Activision warned these copies will be "limited."

Gamers who redeem the code will score 55 pieces of free DLC in the form of in-game events, challenges, avatar items, themes, and behind-the-scenes videos.

Post subject: I am all for no more
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2012, 20:56 
Editors
Editors

I am all for no more pre-owned games if they cut the BS DLC gimmick they are doing. We are not dumb, as somebody stated the other day in a thread "don't piss on my leg and tell me its rain"

I have seen games come out and then 2 weeks later DLC is out for it, we know this content was ready at launch, in many cases it was already on the disk or in the original game files just waiting to get unlocked and yet you without this game content from us just to charge an additional premium on the game we just bought brand new weeks before.

Makes me sick, and games like say Magicka releasing tons of DLC when they still don't even have the bugs fixed in the game. Our game crashed 3x on us last week when we tried to play.

Get rid of used games, but take DLC with it and also if your making more sales do the right thing and cut the cost of games to go along with it, watch as your sales grow even more since people are willing to buy more games when they cost less.

Authentic DLC is fine, like stuff you create for the game way after the fact and want to add it to the game as a way to prolong the games life, but when DLC was real it usually came in the form of free content or a full on game expansion.

DLC is an evil developer plot that we need to put our foot down on, and if they want to put a foot down on used games I think its time we come to terms with each other and make a mutual exchange.

Wishful thinking I am sure xD

As for this news specifically I do not think it will happen unless Sony does it also. I feel a considerable amount of people will put there money into the new PlayStation instead of the new Xbox if only the Xbox is going to be preventing people from buying used games and selling old games. I also feel strongly that somebody will quickly hack said system if it is implemented so the tech guru's will still be getting used games just fine while its the average joe that gets hurt the most, just like any other form of DRM, witch IMO this is very similar to a type of DRM.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2012, 20:20 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-07-witcher-2-dev-next-xbox-not-playing-pre-owned-games-a-bad-thing
No, Saints Row developer Volition - the next Xbox possibly preventing people from playing pre-owned games "can be a bad thing".

Those words belong to Adam Badowski, managing director of Polish Witcher 2 developer CD Projekt Red, who spoke to Eurogamer today.

http://altdevblogaday.com/2012/02/02/i-feel-used/
Most Game Developers will agree that the Used Games market is significantly impacting the revenue we receive. I think what most consumers don’t realize is that every time they buy a used game, there is ZERO money making it back to the Game Developers. All of those profits are going directly to the re-seller and making it more and more difficult for us to continue making higher quality products.

In completely unrelated news...
http://www.gamespot.com/news/psn-accounts-getting-a-name-change-6349822
The Sony Entertainment Network was first announced in August as a service that included Sony's three major online businesses: PSN, Video Unlimited, and Music Unlimited.

The new terms of service and policy agreements include a number of changes, among them a specific clause that preorders placed through PSN cannot be canceled.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2012, 23:27 
Editors
Editors

Read the Volition dev's blog earlier today, and shook my head. Despite being a PC gamer I do know a few people who play on consoles. Most of them are completely dependent on the trade-in/used game market to support their hobby. If used games get magically dumped with the next Xbox then they are not going to automatically start forking over substantially more money for all new games. No, they might very well leave gaming altogether or reduce the number of games they buy down to what they can actually afford per month/year/etc. Cost is a huge factor when it comes to buying habits (for any product), yet many of these industry insiders don't seem to understand this fact.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 13:01 
Editors
Editors

If they buy one Game directly in the shop instead of 4 Games 2nd Hand the Industry will be Happy! Little more profit made!

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 17:46 
Administrators
Administrators

Yet due to the 2nd market, consumers frequently purchased a game first hand, knowing that they could farm it off onto someone else, or would risk buying a game they might not normally like, knowing they could trade it in and recover some losses.

I forsee a higher percentage of pirated games being used instead.

My partner gained an xbox for her b-day recently, so I compared xbox to pc titles the other day and was shocked at how much more they where on the console.

So instead of tighening the grip on the consumer with what is already high prices, leading poeple to..
A) buy less games or get bankrupt.
B) pirate them
C) give up

If however they just lowered the prices, they would likely find more people interested in buying first hand, more interested in risking new games and the devs in the end would make more money.

Steam is a good example of this... with frequently low prices I find myself buying games left right and center, I've even a handfull that I have purchased and yet not even played yet! :s

Essentialy tightening the grip wont help the devs much at all, but actually making them cheaper and thus more appealing will help.

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 21:11 
Administrators
Administrators

It's so true.

I buy games on GOG.com because I know I won't have DRM issues, but games from Developers like Ubisoft, whose DRM was extremely painful, I probably won't buy again.

DRM / piracy protection only hurts the honest.