Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
Last visit was: less than a minute ago It is currently 06 Mar 2021, 11:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]




 [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: 28 May 2013, 11:47 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 16:25
Posts: 163
Location: Gloucester, UK
I just don't get why they still do this, US gets a Tuesday release date while UK gets it Friday!

Now I know it's down to "tradition" but I don't think that cuts it anymore, why do it? Is there more of a reason than just tradition?

Sorry I'm a bit pissed due to the fact I can't play GRID 2 until Friday and the US lot get it today :(

_________________
i7 3770K (Ivy bridge) | Corsair Dominator 32GB | Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus Intel Z77 | Corsair H100i | 2 x Gigabyte ATi Radeon HD 7950 in crossfire | NXZT Phantom case | OCZ 1000W Powersupply | Samsung 840 PRO 256GB | 2x OCZ agility 3 60GB SSDs | 2x 1TB HDDs |


Top
  
 


PostPosted: 28 May 2013, 13:50 
Offline
Editors
Editors
User avatar

Joined: 08 May 2011, 18:58
Posts: 2286
2 words!

Server Load!

_________________
We gonna send it to outa space!


Top
  
 
PostPosted: 28 May 2013, 13:58 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 16:25
Posts: 163
Location: Gloucester, UK
Haldi wrote:
2 words!

Server Load!


To be honest I doubt that's the problem, don't forget the UK still get "some" Tuesday releases and a couple of examples off the top of my head are every Call of Duty since World at War.

EDIT: also just looked it up and World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria arrived in shops across the US, Canada, Europe, Russia, Southeast Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, Argentina, Chile and Brazil on the same day! Now talk to me about server load :)

_________________
i7 3770K (Ivy bridge) | Corsair Dominator 32GB | Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus Intel Z77 | Corsair H100i | 2 x Gigabyte ATi Radeon HD 7950 in crossfire | NXZT Phantom case | OCZ 1000W Powersupply | Samsung 840 PRO 256GB | 2x OCZ agility 3 60GB SSDs | 2x 1TB HDDs |


Top
  
 
PostPosted: 28 May 2013, 14:17 
Offline
Administrators
Administrators
User avatar

Joined: 02 Nov 2009, 12:14
Posts: 1031
Location: Lincoln, UK
Actually you can blame brick and mortar retail stores, how do you think they would react if Stream released a game on Tuesday, while they don't release things till Friday. That's basically the reason for it, in the US release day is and was Tuesday, in the UK it was Friday. When digital distribution came, then getting the goods to store and on shelf's wasn't an issue anymore, but then if that was the case the retail outlets would have a massive disadvantage, so the likelihood is that retail stores refuse to stock a game if the digital release date doesn't match there normal release date.

_________________
: ) Skid : )
My Multi-Monitor Focused YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/SkidIncGaming
My Twitch channel which I've been known to stream on from time to time: http://www.twitch.tv/SkidInc
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."


Top
  
 
PostPosted: 28 May 2013, 14:24 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 16:25
Posts: 163
Location: Gloucester, UK
Skid wrote:
Actually you can blame brick and mortar retail stores, how do you think they would react if Stream released a game on Tuesday, while they don't release things till Friday. That's basically the reason for it, in the US release day is and was Tuesday, in the UK it was Friday. When digital distribution came, then getting the goods to store and on shelf's wasn't an issue anymore, but then if that was the case the retail outlets would have a massive disadvantage, so the likelihood is that retail stores refuse to stock a game if the digital release date doesn't match there normal release date.


Ye my point it that this is "tradition" for the UK, I knew it was due to the retail stores but why not change it? The reason it's Friday dates back years, the thing is in this day and age it can change and should. Why stick to Friday it's only because this was chosen back when internet and all the newer technologies available to us today weren't available.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-23-why-are-we-stuck-with-games-being-released-on-a-friday

This is a good article with my exact same point. There is no reason for it so why is it still this way!

_________________
i7 3770K (Ivy bridge) | Corsair Dominator 32GB | Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus Intel Z77 | Corsair H100i | 2 x Gigabyte ATi Radeon HD 7950 in crossfire | NXZT Phantom case | OCZ 1000W Powersupply | Samsung 840 PRO 256GB | 2x OCZ agility 3 60GB SSDs | 2x 1TB HDDs |


Top
  
 
PostPosted: 28 May 2013, 14:31 
Offline
Administrators
Administrators
User avatar

Joined: 02 Nov 2009, 12:14
Posts: 1031
Location: Lincoln, UK
LuckyNoS7evin wrote:
Skid wrote:
Actually you can blame brick and mortar retail stores, how do you think they would react if Stream released a game on Tuesday, while they don't release things till Friday. That's basically the reason for it, in the US release day is and was Tuesday, in the UK it was Friday. When digital distribution came, then getting the goods to store and on shelf's wasn't an issue anymore, but then if that was the case the retail outlets would have a massive disadvantage, so the likelihood is that retail stores refuse to stock a game if the digital release date doesn't match there normal release date.


Ye my point it that this is "tradition" for the UK, I knew it was due to the retail stores but why not change it? The reason it's Friday dates back years, the thing is in this day and age it can change and should. Why stick to Friday it's only because this was chosen back when internet and all the newer technologies available to us today weren't available.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-23-why-are-we-stuck-with-games-being-released-on-a-friday

This is a good article with my exact same point. There is no reason for it so why is it still this way!


Because UK retailers still think THEY will make the most money if a game comes out the day before the weekend, which makes more sense then releasing on Tuesday for the same reason. The reason why it's Friday is fairly sound, buy the game on the Friday, you have all weekend to play it, can't explain why America is Tuesday though.

_________________
: ) Skid : )
My Multi-Monitor Focused YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/SkidIncGaming
My Twitch channel which I've been known to stream on from time to time: http://www.twitch.tv/SkidInc
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."


Top
  
 
PostPosted: 28 May 2013, 14:36 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 16:25
Posts: 163
Location: Gloucester, UK
Ye :( as I said just pissed off a little especially on a game I want to play, with a few friends too.

I know I did the DR for GRID 2 but didn't want to risk a US VPN for long.

_________________
i7 3770K (Ivy bridge) | Corsair Dominator 32GB | Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus Intel Z77 | Corsair H100i | 2 x Gigabyte ATi Radeon HD 7950 in crossfire | NXZT Phantom case | OCZ 1000W Powersupply | Samsung 840 PRO 256GB | 2x OCZ agility 3 60GB SSDs | 2x 1TB HDDs |


Top
  
 
PostPosted: 28 May 2013, 14:38 
Offline
Administrators
Administrators
User avatar

Joined: 02 Nov 2009, 12:14
Posts: 1031
Location: Lincoln, UK
LuckyNoS7evin wrote:
Ye :( as I said just pissed off a little especially on a game I want to play, with a few friends too.

I know I did the DR for GRID 2 but didn't want to risk a US VPN for long.


It sucks, but really it's America that has the odd release date, the only reason we care is because it make them get the games first, and us have to wait.

_________________
: ) Skid : )
My Multi-Monitor Focused YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/SkidIncGaming
My Twitch channel which I've been known to stream on from time to time: http://www.twitch.tv/SkidInc
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."


Top
  
 
PostPosted: 29 May 2013, 02:15 
Offline

Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 23:55
Posts: 2866
Tuesday is for most media releases in the US. There are a bunch of financial reasons why.

Sellers obviously want to be able to sell at the same time so they follow along even if it means holding products already in stock for days/weeks and not selling before the announced date.


Top
  
 
PostPosted: 29 May 2013, 23:56 
Offline
Editors
Editors
User avatar

Joined: 08 May 2011, 18:58
Posts: 2286
hum.... i was able to buy the game via Greenmangaming today (was few minutes after Midnight... so it was 30.05) haven't tried to install it yet. Wonder if that works.

_________________
We gonna send it to outa space!


Top
  
 
 [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  




Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group