Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2013, 20:05 

Out of nowhere.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/7/384528 ... ing-system

Quote:
Nvidia has just unveiled a new handheld gaming system called Project Shield. Project Shield is powered by the Tegra 4 processor and can play console-quality games while still providing a mobile experience. The processor is capable of pushing 4K resolution video over HDMI to external displays. It includes advanced sound processing that Nvidia says rivals Beats Audio-equipped laptops, and a 33Wh battery that provides five to ten hours of play time or 24 hours of HD video playback. It features a 5-inch, 720p Retinal multitouch display with 294ppi pixel density, and has a slot for micro-SD card expansion. The Shield runs Android — pure Android without a skin, as Nvidia insists — and includes Google's apps for Gmail and the Play Store

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 00:29 
Editors
Editors

Watch the CES Event here:

btw! You think it's a Hand held? NO!
This small little thing can use your Nvidia GPU in your Computer, its own Controllers and Stream the Video to your TV! Thats awesome! If the price is not gonna be over 300$ (i asume 350-450$) Sony and Microsoft are done for! or at least Wii U is for sure!

:twothumb: :twothumb: :twothumb:

My next GPU might actually be a Nvidia! even tought i'm no big fan of consoles.... but if they manage to get Multiplayer working on that! And Splitscreen! Freakin awesome!

If they woul'd have made a Kickstarter they'd have gotten over 10mio$ for sure!

btw: Link. http://shield.nvidia.com/

System Specc's needed:
Attachment:
nvidia shield.JPG
nvidia shield.JPG [ 37 KiB | Viewed 8012 times ]

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 00:57 
Insiders
Insiders

Now this is interesting! The idea of streaming games from your PC to your TV wirelessly via an Android powered device is like a perfect mash-up of PC gaming, Ouya, and OnLive technologies for me. I mean, I already have a massively powerful PC and huge Steam library. But, it's never been convenient to wire HDMI and USB from my office to the living room.

I really hope Nvidia's forward-thinking enough to make the gadget platform agnostic on the PC side so that I can combine this with AMD cards, but I wouldn't be surprised if they use APIs locked to their Geforce 6xx series cards and higher. Will we have to wait and see what develops or have they already commented on whether it'll be tied specifically to Nvidia cards?

*Edit: I see where they're stating it will need Geforce cards, software, and drivers. So, I may be out of luck. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it anyway!

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2013, 22:21 

I don't see much advantage over a Wireless Xbox 360 controller and a long HDMI cable perhaps run over cat-6.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2013, 21:19 
Insiders
Insiders

I'm seriously thinking it's not worth its money. I'm not going to stream from my desktop to it (it's just silly to game on a damn small handheld screen when you're in wifi range when you have your full fledged desktop running :doh: ), for playing on android, I rather prefer my nexus 7, and I can hook up a PS3 controller when necessary. I don't see why hooking it up to your tv would be an advantage as I already can do it with numerous devices.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2013, 05:52 

NVIDIA probably should of unannounced this. Trivia question territory.