Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2012, 20:04 
Insiders
Insiders

There are a number of peeves I have with this game so far. Some minor, some notorious. First off, there are some issues relating to some of the menus. I present two pictures, one of which is at a 1024x1280 resolution (0.8 AR) and the other of which is at an 3000x800 resolution (3.75 AR). In this, you can see that the menus are not vert- or hor-, but both vert- AND hor- and this is really where I'm bothered by this game.

Sure, it's a little irritating to the eyes to see that they've forgone their vector graphics UI for much crappier pixel graphics (which you can see easily on 30 inch screens, or anything with about 1500 vertical lines or more) that you have to stare at constantly as you play. But it's very irritating to know that a AAA company like Gearbox hires programmers that think there is an appropriate situation to choose cropping over scaling.

The only time it is ever an acceptable solution to crop is when you're supporting 16:9 primarily and wish to add backwards support for lower ARs such as 5:4 and 4:3. But even that is going to piss off the 16:10 veterans that lose a bit from the sides.

But, and this is directed very much at Gearbox, it is dishonest to say that you've ensured proper "nVidia Surround" support when you clearly haven't. Before the game is even played, it's clear that this isn't the case. I think Borderlands 2, from my limited experience so far, is awesome. But a company like Gearbox should be making gold, not really shiny silver.

In short, scaling is ALWAYS preferable to cropping. Always. And never ever is it appropriate to crop both vertically and horizontally. With that kind of coding, you're forcing your customers to bend to an aspect ratio they may not be playing at.

I'll just give Gearbox the benefit of doubt and call this a symptom of consolitis. But it still needs to be fixed. In that, I suggest this game receive a slight bump downward on our grading scale until all of the problematic menus have been fixed. And not because this is a "blemish" but because it's a blemish of the worst kind. I've never seen a game take an approach that cuts off screen space from every side.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2012, 20:25 
Insiders
Insiders

Zen, I will look into that when I get my copy today to see if it's a problem with Surround as well. It could just be an Eyefinity issue, but I will try to confirm it none the less.

Azza Fusion 4000 Liquid Cooled Full/Mini-ITX Tower - AMD Ryzen 1700x CPU - Tt Water 3.0 Ultimate CPU Cooler - ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Extreme - 2x EVGA GTX 980 in SLI - Geil 16GB - Klipsch 5.1 THX Speakers - Vertex 4 128GB SSD, Sandisk 256GB SSD, Samsung 512GB 850 PRO SSD, WD Black 320GB & Two times Toshiba 5TB (one for Games and the other for Storage) - Logitech G502 - Corsair K65 RGB - Logitech G13 - Win10 Pro 64bit - 2-over-1 Viewsonic VA2448M 24" (2x 1920x1080 Secondary) & Samsung CHG90 Series Curved 49" (3840x1080) - Ergotech Monitor Stand - Shout out to WSGF for the upgrade on my stand!

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2012, 20:58 

My gripe is that when the NPCs talk, the text doesn't scale with the UI, so it hangs over my bezels in Eyefinity 5760x1080 :P

Post subject: I can confirm that the
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2012, 21:59 

I can confirm that the problem with some menus, or at least the Network Options menu, occurs with Nvidia Surround.