Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2012, 23:15 
Editors
Editors

Collection of Information

By using Valve's online sites, products, and services, users agree that Valve may collect personally identifiable information (as defined below). Valve will not share personally identifiable information with other parties except as described in this policy. Valve may also collect aggregate information and individual information. "Aggregate information" is information that describes the habits, usage patterns, and demographics of users as a group but does not describe or reveal the identity of any particular user. "Individual information" is information about a user or user’s machine that is presented in a form distinguishable from information relating to other users but not in a form that personally identifies any user or enables the recipient to communicate directly with any user. Valve may share aggregate and individual information with other parties without restriction.

Source: http://store.steampowered.com/privacy_agreement/english/

IF you're not happy with that, just don't accept and never again use Steam... simple isn't it ? ^^

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2012, 00:31 

Well if it gets out of hand we can just file a class-action lawsuit.

Our little Steam is growing up.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2012, 01:16 
Editors
Editors

So if you do not accept the TaC, you just loose your games forever?

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2012, 08:39 
I Donated
I Donated

That bit there isnt actually new.

It was just called something else in the previous EULA.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2012, 11:27 
Insiders
Insiders

I don't really mind if steam collects information. Have giving the whole privacy thing up anyway.

Philips BDM4065UC(3840x2160) Acer Z35(2560x1080@200hz); 980 Ti Hybrid @stock ; 6700K 4.6ghz (1.35v)/D15; 16GB 3200mhz; Asus Maximus Ranger VIII; AX860; 1TB 960 EVO; 750GB 840 EVO; Teufel Concept D 500; Sennheiser HD6XX; Windows 10 (latest build)

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2012, 12:20 

So Steam has been added to (or was already on) the vast list of companies that trade in statistical information on customer behaviour, in an attempt to better tweak their products to the customers' wishes, resulting in better sales.

I am stunned.

$)

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2012, 12:32 
Editors
Editors

You know that saying. "Give them your little Finger and they taker your hand!"

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2012, 13:09 
Administrators
Administrators

Doesn't bother me, I nearly aways click the allow button when something asks to collect usage information, as it helps them improve the product and as such gives me a better product as a result. This sort of thing will largely be given or sold to developers to better target and tweak there games, and I'm not going to complain about getting better games.

This is all none personally identifiable information, meaning it doesn't track back to you, or comprises your privacy in any way, and really how many of you click the take part button when the hardware survey comes around, its the same thing.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2012, 17:58 

It comes down to trust for me. I trust Gabe more than EA. Therefore if this was the agreement to Origin (which I won't use) then I would not accept it.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2012, 18:27 
Insiders
Insiders

It comes down to trust for me. I trust Gabe more than EA. Therefore if this was the agreement to Origin (which I won't use) then I would not accept it.

Here here!

Ignoring the fact that I have a lot invested in Steam and that it's where I keep my entire library, they've been around long enough and have a strong enough track record that I trust them not to do something foolish or selfish. Don't get me wrong, Steam isn't perfect. But in the world of technology, you're always having to choose the least of the evils. And Valve is about as far from evil as the best of them.