Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:17

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 19:00 

Recently built a house and I have one room 10X13 or so to dedicate entirely to gaming (Note I have a different bigger room in the house meant for a media room, as not to confuse the two).

This Room has NO windows and only 2 doors on it (the door to get in and a closet). Shape is rectangle. That being said I really want to plan this room around PC Gaming. I'm not taking about an IKEA desk with a few lamps in with a recline but a customized "gaming room". The starting point I'm struggling with is the desk. Should I go with something floating in the middle, something in the corner, something in the middle with display mounted on the walls...who knows.

I'm running large panels (triple 27s) so a minimum viewable distance of about 3 feet is required. I also typically run a few PC on the side for other things. What else would you do? I know this is an open question but Im particularly interested in what others are doing for high end desk needs.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2012, 13:30 

The one problem with corner unit desks (I have one) is that it makes it difficult to look up from your monitor and set your focus on something distant from time to time - which you should do; especially when gaming for long periods. I have a mirror set up along one wall just above my left side monitor (triple monitor set-up) to provide a larger sense of the room and make the corner feel less claustrophobic. The other pain in the butt part of a corner set-up can be those times when you need cable access and need to pull the desk away from the wall to make working behind it easier. Doesn't happen often, but having felt pads on the bottom of the desk (hardwood floors) makes the effort much easier.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2012, 23:16 

Hello, new to this forum, but I couldn't recommend a obutto enough..
They have a newer version out now, I have had the older one for a year or 2 now and love it..

Attached files

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2012, 00:53 

Had no idea something like that was out there (was thinking of trying to build my own). Shows how hard I looked (not at all). Sorry for a slight hijack, but is the triple monitor mount built in/easily removable? If not I'm thinking this would go nicely with the Pixelwix projector screen when that gets going.

As for the gaming room, LED lights are pretty sweet if you haven't considered them already (especially when you can hook them up to your PC for different modes/moods). Maybe even something like amBX (although I've not seen anything on that since Far Cry 2), or possibly some open source alternative. Also, I don't know if you've already thought of using the closet to hide away the noisy stuff. I don't have one unfortunately, and fan noise often annoys me to the extent that I'm wanting water cooling on my next build. Anyway, I'll probably have some useful suggestions after a decent nights sleep.

"Personally, I see it as a virtue - trying to make the world a slightly better place _without_ trying to impose your moral values on other people. You do whatever the h*ll rings your bell, I'm just an engineer who wants to make the best OS possible." - Linus Torvalds

Post subject: Ya mounts are included
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2012, 23:00 

Ya mounts are included (extra) but I made mine.
The newer Obutto looks sweet, alittle more cost but more refined I think..
The newer triple mount will take alot larger monitors than the original

Attached files

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 11:58 

Dont knock ikea. you can put together some handy things for pc gaming.
Mine is all ikea with a few modifications

3 x 42 inch screens @5860x1080
16 gigs xmp ram @2200

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2012, 20:50 

CoolMan=GCHQ= wrote:
Dont knock ikea. you can put together some handy things for pc gaming.
Mine is all ikea with a few modifications

That is so cool!