Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:11

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2012, 00:50 

http://www.videogamer.com/pc/warface/news/crytek_all_our_future_games_will_be_free-to-play.html

But once Crytek has completed its current contracts with traditional boxed products, its studios will only produce F2P titles - supported by its new social gaming platform, GFACE.

"As we were developing console games we knew, very clearly, that the future is online and free-to-play," said Yerli.

Future is scary.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2012, 06:24 
Editors
Editors

I thought they stated that they wanted to continue producing AAA Titles ? And i dont asume these to be F2P.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2012, 23:16 

the games will be free to play, but they will probably start charging for ammo

3 x 42 inch screens @5860x1080
16 gigs xmp ram @2200

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2012, 23:39 

I have decided to generalize this thread to allow me to rant and ridicule with more ease.

Wii U got free-to-play.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/120606qa/index.html

With respect to the Wii U system, when we began working on it, one of our goals was to have a variety of purchase options and additional e-commerce options available at its launch. And because of that, we have prepared a Digital Rights Management system. We have designed the system from a technical standpoint to allow developers to freely take advantage of things like free to play and micro transactions.

TOR is not doing so hot.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/15/hmmm-the-old-republic-looking-at-free-to-play/

So basically, F2P’s finally coming of age, and players now demand it instead of recoiling in disgust at thoughts of nickles, dimes, and pay-to-win pyramid schemes. Meanwhile, BioWare’s made no bones about the need to evolve to survive – even as it attempted to tell us everything was a-okay mere days before, well, you know.

And we are moving to games being designed to maximize revenue. I guess quality isn't a great selling point for stakeholders.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2012, 19:06 
Editors
Editors

the games will be free to play, but they will probably start charging for ammo

IIRC..... kinda sure i do.... there was a game out there were you had to buy ammo but could play it for free! Don't remember name right now...

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2012, 23:28 

http://www.gamespot.com/news/microtransactions-will-be-in-every-game-says-ea-6383445

"I think, ultimately, those microtransactions will be in every game, but the game itself or the access to the game will be free," he said. "I think there's an inevitability that happens five years from now, 10 years from now, that, let's call it the client, to use the term, [is free]. It is no different than…it's free to me to walk into The Gap in my local shopping mall. They don't charge me to walk in there. I can walk into The Gap, enjoy the music, look at the jeans and what have you, but if I want to buy something I have to pay for it."

Enjoy the music people. Cause if you want a true experience you are paying $100+ a game for a service that you don't control and can be taken from you anytime.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2012, 05:16 

I feel this does a good job of covering some of things I yelp about.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/games-as-a-service-does-disservice-to-gamers-6383753/

It's no wonder publishers still love the idea, because it gives them an unprecedented level of control over the player experience...This makes the games ultimately disposable, while making the publishers utterly indispensable and inseparable from the games they sell.

In practice, the free-to-play approach inextricably links the business model with the game design...I'd rather have the Shigeru Miyamotos of the world choose games based on what they're inspired to create, not on which projects they think can be adapted to a viable business model to maximize average revenue per paying user.

I recently got an urge to play an older download-only title I bought that requires online activitation. The company I purchased it from is gone. The authentication launcher sends me to 404s.

I can either buy the game again from another vendor or pirate it. I didn't buy a game, I bought access.

Post subject: Well this will be
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2012, 18:55 

Well this will be terrible.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/259026/ouya_to_enter_gaming_market_with_99_androidpowered_console.html

All games must have a free-to-play element, whether it's a timed trial, a feature-locked demo or a complete experience filled with microtransactions.

Post subject: i like Trials for
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2012, 22:48 
Editors
Editors

i like Trials for MMOG's.
Most games in Android store already have a feature/level locked demo.
So only tha Free+micro transactions really bothers me!

i Wonder if the built in a Fan xD its a Tegra 3 ! Tablets Overheating .... Asus was it ?

Well, if they make a deal with Sony for their Android PS Store, they might get more games and better for joystick.

There are quite a few emu's for PS and Gamecube & stuff on Android!
With Tegra 3 they might even get PS2 emu! So maybe a lot "old school gamers" who want that retro feeling with old games might get this console.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2012, 20:14 

http://www.gamespot.com/news/ultima-iv-remade-as-free-to-play-ultima-forever-6386583

Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar is set to launch on iPad and PC later this year. The game, which Barnett said will be playable "start to finish" for free, is the second major free-to-play project from BioWare, the first being Facebook tie-in Dragon Age Legends.

Barnett said. So instead of "glass walls" preventing advancement through the game, Ultima Forever players will be able to buy additional means of transport or the ability to fast travel through the world.

Travel is a key part of gameplay in the original.

*Achieves partial Avatarhood in suck*