Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 21 May 2012, 16:58 

Hi all, between myself and a friend we've been building the following machine:

x2 Gainward 690 GTX'x in Quad SLI
16gb DDR3
Asus Rampage IV Extreme mobo
Core i7 3960 Extreme 3.3ghz CPU
x3 Dell 24" monitors (gaming res to be at 5760x1200)

All watercooled (GPU's aren't yet as EK haven't got any blocks ready)

Built machine, installed BF3, stuck straight on Ultra, 5760x1200, averaging about 25-30 fps

Would this be expected? Realise Ultra is pretty heavy on resources (with my old system, 9550 @ 3.7, HD 5970 I achieved a whooping 2 fps on Ultra!) but was expecting a bit more...

Has anyone else got round to trying a similar spec out and can comment? We've been using ATI cards for a long while, so just wondering if we've missed a trick with Nvidia in the setup? SLI appears to be configured correctly as far as we can see. Nothing is Overclocked yet though.

Not tried it on high settings yet.

Be interesting to hear comments on Nvidia multi-monitor setups, see what others have done past and present. :-)

Thanks all.

PostPosted: 21 May 2012, 18:04 

that seems similer to the framerates i got with 3 680's and an intel 3960 cpu. But i havent had time to tweak things yet. One thing to check is that you are running with pci ex 3 instead of 2. you need to edit the registry to enable it as its set to 2 by default. It may help.
This is from a google search.

1) Go to search under Start and type regedit.

2) Follow these folders in order: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Control Video

3) Here you will have to find your GPU, to do so, you will be looking for the folder that has about 4-5 different subfolders inside of it. Most of the folders inside of "video" will only have 1-3 (not the ones you want), while mine (GPU folder) for example had 5 (0001-0003&Video) The one you will be editing in is 0000. Select this file. Don't open it to allow more to drop down, simply SELECT 0000 (left-click it). You will know you have the correct place when you see prefixes that begin with NV_, OpenGl, drivers installed (Obvious NVIDIA stuff). Here is an example (not mine)

4) Once you know you're in the right place, go to Edit->New->DWORD (32-bit) Value

5) Name this file RMPcieLinkSpeed

6) For the value, put in 0004. Leave the setting at Hexadecimal. The file should look like the picture above after you hit enter.

7) Restart you PC.

Note: If you are using SLI, you will need to disable SLI. Than do this for however many cards you have. Finding each different GPU and making sure that the new file is in place. DISABLE SLI FIRST. So, if you have 2 cards. Do it twice, etc.

Let me further remind everyone that you do this at your own risk. I am NOT a tech guy in the least, but was fed up with not getting what I paid for. The steps are quite easy actually. If you decide to do this, good luck, and PLEASE POST YOUR RESULTS. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

As a side note, my GPGPU tasks are getting done quite a bit faster. Running 3 tasks at once at Einstein@home on the GPU (as usual), and when I restarted my PC and started them up, loaded up Precision, and my temps were ever so slightly higher (2-3C). Looked at my times, and they were decreasing faster than normal. Quite happy. Feel like I'm finally getting what I paid for.

3 x 42 inch screens @5860x1080
16 gigs xmp ram @2200

PostPosted: 21 May 2012, 19:58 
Editors
Editors

http://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/artikel/hardware/grafikkarten/22506-test-2x-geforce-gtx-690-im-quad-sli.html?start=9