Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2013, 19:57 

Tanuki wrote:
The more I think about this the more odd it is. The licensing fees from the big third-party publishers are the main revenue source for the non-Nintendo consoles. Was told by an EA developer less than a year ago how season pass was basically mandatory. Now it is gone.

No way in hell that are walking away from that money on PS4.

-Timed exclusives?
-Digital only?
-Sony was only talking first party?
-Other?

As an aside, those are two ugly consoles. Betamax players.

Tanuki wrote:

I agree with you on this one!

The only thing Sony have said is "Our games won't have it, other publishers it's their choice"! Publishers Like EA, Acti-blizz etc won't walk way as you say!

i7 3770K (Ivy bridge) | Corsair Dominator 32GB | Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus Intel Z77 | Corsair H100i | 2 x Gigabyte ATi Radeon HD 7950 in crossfire | NXZT Phantom case | OCZ 1000W Powersupply | Samsung 840 PRO 256GB | 2x OCZ agility 3 60GB SSDs | 2x 1TB HDDs |

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2013, 22:10 

There's a complete lack of surprise. So given MS have also said their first-party stuff won't restrict used sales, the difference boils down to choosing whether the cloud access to games and no need to have your game discs to hand is worth the 24-hourly internet DRM check... the rest is going to be much of a muchness.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2013, 01:23 

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-is-removing ... -514390310

And a strategic retreat. The war has been postponed another gen. Or until we go all digital.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2013, 17:05 

Tanuki wrote:
http://kotaku.com/microsoft-is-removing-xbox-one-drm-514390310

And a strategic retreat. The war has been postponed another gen. Or until we go all digital.

but have you seen this ????
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news/steam-may-launch-game-sharing-future-in-the-near-future-381687

I hope it happens.... oh and if it does...game over consoles!

i7 3770K (Ivy bridge) | Corsair Dominator 32GB | Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus Intel Z77 | Corsair H100i | 2 x Gigabyte ATi Radeon HD 7950 in crossfire | NXZT Phantom case | OCZ 1000W Powersupply | Samsung 840 PRO 256GB | 2x OCZ agility 3 60GB SSDs | 2x 1TB HDDs |

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2013, 19:31 

I wouldn't put much stock in the game sharing thing. If it comes about it would be horribly limited to prevent reselling. Also Valve has existing license agreements with everyone that already sells on Steam.

EA and Ubisoft require Origin and Uplay but are going to allow their Steam games to be shared across multiple accounts? Don't see that happening unless a fee is involved.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2013, 20:43 

Tanuki wrote:
I wouldn't put much stock in the game sharing thing. If it comes about it would be horribly limited to prevent reselling. Also Valve has existing license agreements with everyone that already sells on Steam.

EA and Ubisoft require Origin and Uplay but are going to allow their Steam games to be shared across multiple accounts? Don't see that happening unless a fee is involved.

I think the idea is you cannot sell then and they never leave your game library, I think the idea is friends can see your "shared" games they can play them "through your account" in such a way that they never have the game (apart from a download they cannot use without your licence you are lending them.

You are right about Uplay and Origin but there are plenty of non Origin and EA titles :)

It's all speculation however so I guess it's another wait and see