Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: AussieTimmeh wrote:DRM /
PostPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 21:27 
Editors
Editors

DRM / piracy protection only hurts the honest.

The whole World knows that, except publisher!

I mean, why invest a lot of money into a DRM when 1 week later Razor / Skidrow or some other group has made a fully functionally Crack ? I just don't geht it why they're so obsessed with DRM's ! Is it because they benefit from DRM something more than just "anti copy protection" ? do they gather information about computer and send them anonym like Origin does ? Is it so they can count how many people are using their game ?

At least Ubisoft went back a little on their gamelauncher and now you don't need "Always internet connection" anymore!

Post subject: its a crap world out
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2012, 18:36 

its a crap world out there.
between drm and all these games that you "must" be online for. its getting ridiculous.
and bringing DLC into this just adds to the flame. theres characters in Soul Calibur 5 that wont come out for dlc for like another month, but they are already in the game. you fight "random opponents" they will come up. so they were on the disc, in the game, and can already come up. you just can't use them unless you "buy" the ability to do so.. when it comes out, cause its not even out yet.

and don't even get me started on Dragon Age: Origins..
Travel random encounter, "can you help me" "YEs, yes i can" message pops up -IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE BUY THIS DLC!
BULL MOTHER@#$%(#$ S#!%

and killing the used market? Jezz they are just digging graves here.
i have an xbox 360. and i only have 4 titles i bought new. but i have like 20 games.
if i couldlnt get used titles i would have never bought the system. seriously, i bought it with the idea of getting second hand stuff.
So they are also hurting the console makers

Post subject: lol
PostPosted: 29 Feb 2012, 23:34 

lol

Post subject: bump
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2012, 18:14 

bump bump

http://www.gamespot.com/news/next-playstation-to-lock-out-used-games-6368582

A tipster has told Kotaku that the PlayStation 4 is named "Orbis," and that it will feature an anti-used game system, offer no backwards compatibility with PlayStation 3 titles, and ship in 2013.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2012, 19:57 
Editors
Editors

What? PS3 in 2013? Thought there wouldn' be one before 2014! But X-mas 2013 or january 2014 isnt so big difference -.-

Well Xbox gets Hacked pretty easy... PS3 is still Safe? I think they will sell more XBox 720 than PS4! If they are on the same performance Level.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2013, 03:21 

bump

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... ame-Market

Quote:
Used game sales are a bit of an issue. Sure, buying a used game cheap at GameStop is great for the consumer, but developers and publishers complain at how they see absolutely no revenue from that sale, thereby preventing game-makers from taking risks on new IP, etc. There's no legal way to restrict someone from reselling their property, but that hasn't stopped Sony from coming up with a dastardly plan anyway. The patent - filed on September 12, 2012 but only made publicly available this morning - outlines a system in which RF tags on game discs interact with the console, allowing only one owner to access the game. Sony hasn't commented whether this new system will make it into the PS4, but the technology exists if the company chooses to use it.

PostPosted: 21 May 2013, 21:43 

Update:

XboxOne will require a fee to activate used games. PS4 has the same kind of tech but appears to be letting the publishers decide to use it or not. XboxOne has no backwards compatibility. PS4 has no local backwards compatibility but plans for streaming PS4 games via cloud in the future. So PS4 also has no backwards compatibility.

WiiU does both but I got a good CPU and Dolphin and Xenoblade 2 has no release date.

I look forward to playing these games on emulators in the future. PC master race!

PostPosted: 21 May 2013, 22:15 

Tanuki wrote:
Update:

XboxOne will require a fee to activate used games. PS4 has the same kind of tech but appears to be letting the publishers decide to use it or not. XboxOne has no backwards compatibility. PS4 has no local backwards compatibility but plans for streaming PS4 games via cloud in the future. So PS4 also has no backwards compatibility.

WiiU does both but I got a good CPU and Dolphin and Xenoblade 2 has no release date.

I look forward to playing these games on emulators in the future. PC master race!

I'm really surprised people didn't know there wouldn't be backwards compatibility with Xbox 360 or PS3 games. The chips going into the new consoles are x86_x64 architecture which is nothing like the 360 or PS3 as they are now. In mag and on sites the architecture of the chips has been known since almost the start of the year, but people act surprised now when there is no backwards compatibility.

On the note of used games both Sony and Microsoft have shot themselves in the foot. Sony less so as they are letting devs/publishers choose but think about it, are they going to reduce the buying cost of the games? probably not! In fact with each generation of console we have been through the cost of a game has increased! PS4 games were under pre-order for £55+ I can't find the links now but I think I saw this on amazon.

Unless they go to a more "steam like" pricing model it's the consumer that is getting :shh:at on! I know you can sell games for the new consoles but for the love of god buying a game for 40+ then tradin value is reduced due to the new buyer having to purchase a "licence" it going to kill the used games market and people will buy less.

i7 3770K (Ivy bridge) | Corsair Dominator 32GB | Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus Intel Z77 | Corsair H100i | 2 x Gigabyte ATi Radeon HD 7950 in crossfire | NXZT Phantom case | OCZ 1000W Powersupply | Samsung 840 PRO 256GB | 2x OCZ agility 3 60GB SSDs | 2x 1TB HDDs |

PostPosted: 22 May 2013, 00:32 
Founder
Founder

To some degree this isn't new to PCs. We've never been able to resell our games, or trade them in. On Steam, you can't even give it to someone when you're done. I could at least do that with physical media. I see it as an issue with console gamers. Maybe they'll come over to the dark side.

PostPosted: 24 May 2013, 19:51 

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/publishe ... il/0116137

Official resellers. Margins basically same % as new. This most likely would kill reselling online and I am unsure if it would affect the buy back prices or if retailers would just accept getting stuffed.

Maybe Gamestop peeps will start pimping new games again? lol

Thinking about how EA felt comfortable enough to dump Season Pass a few weeks ago I think guarantees that Sony's used blocking tech will work similar.

Sort of random aside...looks like PSN and Live games don't carry over at all to the new systems. That is kind of like everyone's "Steam folds" worst case scenario.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next