Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 23:30

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Final Fantasy XIII
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2010, 05:29 

Yeah, I played the original through in its entirety (Metal Gear Solid) and it was ok, not great. The real issue is that watching/reading the story is like 60% of the game and it's just not very good to me. When I say this people usually tell me it's over my head, which is just a way of feeling superior because it really, really isn't that complicated or deep. I get what it is conveying, it just does not do it very well. I played parts of 2 and 3, neither seemed any better. I remember some extremely long dialogue in 2 about love while you're in the middle of a mission my friend was playing, it made me literally want to scream.

If the gameplay was amazing I could get over it, but it's really not. Splinter Cell 1, 2 and 3 did a much better job with similar gameplay.

I'd say the best PS3 games at the moment are Ninja Gaiden Sigma (Ninja Gaiden Black on the original XBox is better, though), Resistance: Fall of Man, Uncharted 1&2, and God of War Collection (haven't played GoW3 yet but I'm sure it's just like 1&2 and therefore one of the best games on the platform).

Ninja Gaiden and God of War I have no interest in, those wacky-wacky combo action games do not appeal to me, I played God of War 1 and was bored within an hour, never played it again. Resistance Fall of Man I liked, I played it early on when I had a PS3 briefly. It was very Half Life in a lot of ways, which I enjoyed, and the graphics had a clear and crisp look to them rather than muddy detail like a lot of console games. I wouldn't call it a great game though, and I wouldn't buy the system to play it again or its sequel, which I heard was not as good.

Uncharted 1 and 2 goes without saying... those, Demon's Souls and FF13 are the games that make me want a PS3.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2010, 22:32 
Editors
Editors

I forgot all about Valkyria Chronicles. Very good game. Superb storyline.

Eternal Sonata is pretty good too - although a bit "childish" in the way it is presented. Star Ocean 4 is pretty good. ES and SO4 are both originally from the 360, but the ports have a lot of extra stuff, bugs fixed and are generally more polished.

Honestly at this point I'm more tempted to point you in the direction of Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts Covenant on the PS2. Absolute essentials of any self-respecting console RPGer. Amazing games that deserve much more attention than they got. They're quite dark, they're "alternate reality history" if you want to think of stuff in such a way... Rasputin always makes a "good" bad-guy. :D The 'Judgement Ring' battle system looks easy but is quite technical and has a fair amount of 'customisability' available to it.

I liked MGS1, but failed to get into MGS2 at all, and equally found MGS3 a fairly difficult trek. MGS4 was better, but to be brutally honest, I got annoyed with all the FMVs.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2010, 10:32 

oh yeah, shadow hearts ... loved those games and theyre still standing proud next to my final fantasy collection and ps3 games :)

ofc, god of war 3, but i didn't think i'd have to mention that ^^

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2010, 19:16 

I made an emergency purchase of a PS3 about a week ago (after my motherboard had to be RMA'd because the computer wouldn't even post, but that's fixed now).

I'm really liking it. I've been playing a ton of free downloadable demos. I purchased Uncharted and am having fun so far. I'm also enjoying playing Netflix OnDemand movies in the living room without having to set up my wife's netbook every time.

I got Disgaea 3. Now I just need Demon's Souls and I'm set.

I rented Bayonetta and beat it fairly quickly. I like the button mashing brawlers but they make better rentals than purchases.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2010, 22:05 
Editors
Editors

I got Disgaea 3.

You like?

Now I just need Demon's Souls and I'm set.

I want. 'Tis not available in Europa. :(

I rented Bayonetta and beat it fairly quickly. I like the button mashing brawlers but they make better rentals than purchases.

Always the way. Particularly with the new ones... I beat Ninety Nine Nights on the 360 pretty fast; although when I turned up the difficulty, then I had problems.

About the only 'button mash' games I've ever bothered to replay seriously were the Devil May Cry series.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2010, 12:35 

I liked the first Disgaea a lot, the second was OK but not as good. I haven't gotten far enough in the third to know how it ranks with the other two, but I can say that I prefer the Disgaea series to FFT.

Is Little Big Planet worth getting?

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2010, 16:14 
Editors
Editors

I liked the first Disgaea a lot, the second was OK but not as good. I haven't gotten far enough in the third to know how it ranks with the other two, but I can say that I prefer the Disgaea series to FFT.

Is Little Big Planet worth getting?

If you're online, yes.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2010, 23:55 

http://news.filefront.com/final-fantasy-xiii-pisses-folks-off-and-allegedly-bricks-their-ps3s/

Sony and Square-Enix have been slapped with a lawsuit over charges that the PS3 version of Final Fantasy XIII bricked systems.

...Sony laying blame on the software and Squeenix pointing fingers at the hardware.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2011, 00:27 

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6286340.html

Bogus or not bogus?: Looking not bogus. Creating a Final Fantasy sequel by appending a "-2" to the game's name isn't common, but it does have precedence with Final Fantasy X-2 in 2003. Further, the publisher is holding the "1st Production Party Premiere Event" in Japan on January 18, an ideal time to unveil a new installment in the franchise.

The first was decent when you got through the 20-hour intro.

I want six character battles.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2011, 10:10 

The first was decent when you got through the 20-hour intro.

I want six character battles.

Unfortunately I never made it past 10 hours. It was a let down for me. Good thing I decided not to buy it for xbox360 and just played it on my roommate's PS3.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next