Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:06

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2010, 12:48 

Is anyone else as interested as me in creating a console games widescreen list?

For me the interest lies in simply knowing what kind of behavior the widescreen applications are. I ALSO think for multi-plat games that involve the PC, it might shed light on intended behaviors/FOVs.

There would be a list for 360, PS3, Wii, and then a handful of games from XBox 1, PS2, GCN, and N64. I'd love to know if Perfect Dark is Hor+ or Vert-, and same for Metroid Primes (vs MP:Trilogy on Wii), and Steel Battalion, and Final Fantasy XII, and God of War (vs GoW Collection on PS3)

Because I want to know which aspect gives me more, and never play anything but.

I think this site is the perfect place for such a simple list. The best part is typically only 2 aspects to flip between, and no solutions or anything to have to write about. Just what the behavior is.

I'll offer up the info for whatever console games I have access to atm. Here's previous gen titles I own that have widescreen, but alas most of it is away in another city so I cannot test...

[list]
-PS2 widescreen-
Bully
Dragon Quest VIII
Final Fantasy XI
Final Fantasy XII
God of War
God of War II
Guitar Hero 2
Mortal Kombat Armageddon
Shadow of the Colossus
Soul Calibur III
Tekken 5
Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
Xenosaga 2
Xenosaga 3

-Xbox widescreen-
Black
Burnout Takedown
Dance Dance Revolutions
Doom 3
Full Spectrum Warrior
Grand Theft Auto 3......................................Vert-
Grand Theft Auto Vice City............................Vert-
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas........................Vert-
Halo 2........................................................ Hor+
Mech Assault 2 : Lone Wolf
Mercenaries
Ninja Gaiden Black..........................................Hor+
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within
Steel Battalion: Line of Contact (720p too)
Super Monkey Ball Deluxe
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

-GCN widescreen-
Eternal Darkness
F-Zero Gx
Soul Calibur II

-N64 widescreen-
Banjo Tooie
Goldeneye 007...........................................Hor+
Jet Force Gemini
Perfect Dark..............................................Hor+[/list:u]

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2010, 13:30 

Because I want to know which aspect gives me more, and never play anything but.

I don't think you understand the purpose of this site.

Though i see nothing wrong with your suggestion to create a list for console specific game WS implementations. I'm just not sure i understand your intentions correctly.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2010, 13:48 

either standard or widescreen mode on any given one of those games will give you more viewable area than the other, or possibly exactly the same in cases of anamorphic implementations.

do you get it?

one has more

the other less

imagine now, a person wants to play in the mode that has, gosh golly gee, MORE to see.

imagine a list, that informs people which mode that is!

is this still over your head?

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2010, 14:01 
Editors
Editors

While a list like that could be possible, it is probably somewhat redundant.

Most to all current gen games support widescreen. I believe it's a requirement for 360 games, however whether the implementation is correct or not cannot be guaranteed. This site is here to offer solutions via edits and hacks for PC games which do not implement it correctly. The same could not be done for consoles. It would be a list of simply "Yes" or "No" with solutions that are unattainable. Would that be worth it?

Any games which didn't support widescreen would likely be over 3, 4 years old. As it is, we retire PC games that old from our MGL which do have solutions, so the longevity of such a list for consoles would be slim at best.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2010, 14:19 

@_@ ....what?

There are already lists about which games have widescreen. THOSE say "yes" or "no". This would be a database of what. kind. of. widescreen.

ie. Is Perfect Dark Vert- or Hor+ for its widescreen mode. Is God of War II Vert- or Hor+ for its widescreen mode. Perhaps ALL 360 games are Hor+. I don't know.

Jesus I'm aware of what the site currently does, that's why this is a proposed addition. And a simple one. Forgive me for thinking the "widescreen gaming forum" might be interested in a currently uncovered topic on "widescreen gaming".

Once you "retire" a game from the MGL (which is another possible debate for another time) - does it cease to exist from the site? Does the information about what kind of widescreen implementation or how to acheieve said implementation disappear? No? So how praytell, would a video game list that's "retired" still not do what it's one purpose was always to do - provide information.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2010, 14:45 

I'm sorry if you interpretted me as trying to be offensive. I'm merely confused about this "which shows more" way of describing different aspect ratios. There's a right way to do widescreen. (As you yourself say) But i don't think you understand what it is that you're saying because you keep referring to "seeing more" rather than it just simply being the correct WS implementation.

So yes. A list of console games and whether or not they are vert-, hor+, stretched widescreen (either hor/vert or both), letterboxed, side bits, megaratio thingy, vert+ (lol!) etc. etc. would be wicked

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2010, 22:59 

now i think you're just arguing semantics, and you really need to stop suggesting I don't know what I'm talking about and stick to you don't know what I'm talking about.

I'll try one last time to spell it out.

All arguments about how to do widescreen aside, (whether that's Vert- or Hor+ for example),

either Standard mode, or Widescreen mode, when selected for a game, will show you MORE viewable area than the other.

It could be that widescreen shows you more than Standard mode, cuz the game has a Hor+ implementation.

OR it could be that Standard mode shows you more than Widescreen mode, cuz the game has a Vert- implementation.

Do you see how one mode has more to see than the other?

SOME people will want to play on widescreen regardless of whether they are seeing more, less (or the same amount) as widescreen.

SOME people will prefer to play on whatever mode allows them to see the most viewable area. IE, if God of War 2 is Vert- for widescreen, then screw that and I'll stick to playing the game on Standard, even on my widescreen set.

The list would simply state what kind of widescreen the game has. Hor+ / Vert- / Anamorphic / Stretched / Whatever. It allows users to figure out which mode FOV has more than the other.

I can't make this any more clearer.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2010, 04:01 

now i think you're just arguing semantics, and you really need to stop suggesting I don't know what I'm talking about and stick to you don't know what I'm talking about.

I'll try one last time to spell it out.

All arguments about how to do widescreen aside, (whether that's Vert- or Hor+ for example),

either Standard mode, or Widescreen mode, when selected for a game, will show you MORE viewable area than the other.

It could be that widescreen shows you more than Standard mode, cuz the game has a Hor+ implementation.

OR it could be that Standard mode shows you more than Widescreen mode, cuz the game has a Vert- implementation.

Do you see how one mode has more to see than the other?

SOME people will want to play on widescreen regardless of whether they are seeing more, less (or the same amount) as widescreen.

SOME people will prefer to play on whatever mode allows them to see the most viewable area. IE, if God of War 2 is Vert- for widescreen, then screw that and I'll stick to playing the game on Standard, even on my widescreen set.

The list would simply state what kind of widescreen the game has. Hor+ / Vert- / Anamorphic / Stretched / Whatever. It allows users to figure out which mode FOV has more than the other.

I can't make this any more clearer.

Whatever man. I just said your idea was wicked and you go all capslock on me? :hide

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2010, 04:15 

ok well let's just nod and drink our coffee silently

edit: roomie is using tv, I want to go see what goldeneye/perfect dark does sooo bad

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2010, 04:37 
Insiders
Insiders

I think there's one really big hurdle to this proposal - comparison screenshots are one of the cornerstones of the MGL - it's a major reason that it is so consistent and accurate. Most of us don't have any way to submit comparison screenshots for video games.