Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 16 Jun 2024, 03:23

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2010, 23:31 

Hi,

I still have an 4:3 19" monitor that i play with but i am a little concerned about the support of this format in future games eg Fear 2 at the start (before patch) only offered at 1280 *1024 letterbox, do you think that this is an isolated case or it´s something to worry about?

Because eg there are still lots of people that uses´s CRT´s to play

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2010, 00:18 
Editors
Editors

With the unquestionable trend of console-first development I'd say yes, expect some more cases of letterboxed games for 4:3 monitors in the future. There's no way to predict how many titles might behave this way, but it might be worth your while to do a fair amount of pre-purchase research for any multi-platform game when the developer does not specifically demonstrate how it will behave on the PC. Don't trust marketing folks any farther than you can toss 'em.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2010, 02:21 

Just FYI 1280x1024 is a 5:4 resolution.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2010, 03:23 

But if sometimes one just have to edit the .ini files to change the resolution or get user made FOV hack why don´t they fix that in the house?

I tried about 7 games and only Fear 2 do that even for 16:10!

I hate bad made console ports! :evil:

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2010, 03:34 
Editors
Editors

But if sometimes one just have to edit the .ini files to change the resolution or get user made FOV hack why don´t they fix that in the house?

Welcome to the $64 million question. ;)

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2010, 04:28 

Because your a minority, and they are businesses and at the end of the day they have to shave what they can to cut costs and improve profits.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2010, 23:15 

Nevertheless this must be an isolated case because from what i heard Monolith doesn´t have all the original Fear 1 programmers and the game itself is already very repetitive with is multiple expansions. Monolith used to be one of the best Games Houses with mitical old school games like Blood, Shogo but after No One Lives Forever™ 2 with the exception of Fear 1 it seems that there are a declining.

This is my rant

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2010, 05:02 

I liked FEAR 2, and they listened to the community and patched in non-16:9 support very quickly... win-win in my book. Some games like Assassin's Creed 1/2 and Mirror's Edge never got patched for that issue.

As for it happening again I am sure it will, pretty sure it does relatively often and you must just not be buying those games. With a 16:10 monitor I barely notice it to be honest.