Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 15:00

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2005, 21:21 
Founder
Founder

Hey Guys,

I've been out of the adventure/space-sim genre for a looong time. The last time I played a game like this was Wing Commander IV. Are there any good, widescreen friendly space sims or adventure-like games set in space that you could recommend?

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2005, 22:18 
Founder
Founder

What about the Star Wars space battle types??

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2005, 23:05 
Editors
Editors

I've not found any space combat games that were widescreen friendly...

...no, hold on... Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos works in widescreen, I think. :D

Other than that, X-Wing, TIE Fighter, X-Wing Alliance, Descent: Conflict FreeSpace, FreeSpace 2 (has in-flight graphics/nebulae effects that put even some modern games to shame!), Tachyon: The Fringe (best space combat game I've played since FreeSpace 2!), StarLancer, FreeLancer... all superb, all lacking widescreen support... and Edge of Chaos.

I've not seen a proper space combat game since Freelancer, which is actually quite sad... I used to love a decent space sim! :D

Post subject: EVE Online
PostPosted: 26 Dec 2005, 23:35 

I only played it for a short period of time but I did check with their support team when I was thinking about returning to see if they supported widescreen. They told me yes, then a friend I know that plays checked and confirmed it for me.

The game has a steep learning curve but it is a pure space sim from what I can tell.

Also, it is a fantastic looking game. They have a free trial too - it may be worth a look.

http://eve-online.com/

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2005, 02:59 
Founder
Founder

What about the Star Wars space battle types??

Definitely. I'm a sucker for those types. :)

Also, it is a fantastic looking game. They have a free trial too - it may be worth a look.

http://eve-online.com/

Thanks for that suggestion. I actually hadn't thought of going online, but this game looks pretty darn cool.

Other than that, X-Wing, TIE Fighter, X-Wing Alliance, Descent: Conflict FreeSpace, FreeSpace 2 (has in-flight graphics/nebulae effects that put even some modern games to shame!), Tachyon: The Fringe (best space combat game I've played since FreeSpace 2!), StarLancer, FreeLancer... all superb, all lacking widescreen support... and Edge of Chaos.

Thanks for those title, PS. I don't think i'd have been able to track them all down. I've checked out some of the websites for a few titles, Freelancer, Edge of Chaos, and they seem a little....ermm, hehe, out of date. :wink: When was the last good space-sim/adventure released? They all look pretty good though, and I'm definitely up for a classic (graphics be darned) if it offers good gameplay.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2005, 11:22 

But of course I would have to *cough* advertise X³ - Reunion *cough*

Looking at the rig in your sig, it'll run just fine on that (just don't try it at <2GHz with average GPU - though patch 1.3 made performance a lot better).

Just have a look around the Egosoft website. Don't be too alarmed by all the whining on the forums - latest patch just arrived and there are always people who don't like it. I do recommend you download it should you get X³ (prepare for 119MB). The game needed to be finished after release, and now it's mostly done.

Widescreen is supported, but only the HUD is not stretched. The 3D view is :( I just keep hoping they'll add it in time... support has always been good from Egosoft.

Oh and one more thing... if you're principally opposed to StarForce copyprotection or the like, then don't, cus' it's there. Hasn't harmed my system though, just like many others.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2005, 16:41 
Editors
Editors

Thanks for those title, PS. I don't think i'd have been able to track them all down. I've checked out some of the websites for a few titles, Freelancer, Edge of Chaos, and they seem a little....ermm, hehe, out of date. :wink: When was the last good space-sim/adventure released? They all look pretty good though, and I'm definitely up for a classic (graphics be darned) if it offers good gameplay.

You're welcome. :D I'm a space-sim junkie, although I've never been able to get into the X games...

Despite the fact that a lot of them are old, their graphics still hold up pretty well. OK, so the 'non-flight' bits are looking their age, but once flight starts, you jaw will drop. Seriously. :D

FreeLancer is reasonably new; Edge of Chaos might be old, but it's just about the best space sim I've played... once you can get through the slow bits. Some of the fan mods make the game a whole lot more enjoyable.

I still want to play the DOS version of TIE Fighter Collectors CD occasionally, so graphics shouldn't factor into a good game experience. ;) (In fact, I think one of the reasons modern games don't hold up so well is that they spend so much time on the graphics that they forget about gameplay...)

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2005, 17:47 

I still want to play the DOS version of TIE Fighter Collectors CD occasionally, so graphics shouldn't factor into a good game experience. ;) (In fact, I think one of the reasons modern games don't hold up so well is that they spend so much time on the graphics that they forget about gameplay...)

Ahh the memories... if there ever was a 'best game of all times' contest, that one should receive a nomination at the very least!

Maybe I should get it to run again on this heavily overspecced machine (for that game anyway). Although I doubt I could get so immersed again in the story after having completed it before.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2005, 19:48 
Editors
Editors

Ahh the memories... if there ever was a 'best game of all times' contest, that one should receive a nomination at the very least!

Maybe I should get it to run again on this heavily overspecced machine (for that game anyway). Although I doubt I could get so immersed again in the story after having completed it before.

I agree with the 'greatest game' comment. :)

Actually, though; it won't run on any of my 'newer' systems. It won't even run on the only remaining Win98 box I have. I think I'm gonna have to go hunting for some really old kit, to put together a Pentium Pro box or something like that...

As for storyline - depends how good your memory is, and how picky you are. ;) I've played so many games since TIE Fighter that I probably couldn't remember more than the outline of the plot... :lol:

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2005, 03:36 
Founder
Founder

But of course I would have to *cough* advertise X³ - Reunion *cough*

hehe, of course :wink: Actually thx for bringing that title up. It looks pretty interesting as well. As soon as I get my HD's up and running I think i'll give it a try, as well as Freelancer and Eve Online.

Actually, though; it won't run on any of my 'newer' systems. It won't even run on the only remaining Win98 box I have. I think I'm gonna have to go hunting for some really old kit, to put together a Pentium Pro box or something like that...

That reminds me..... of when I purchased my first Dell system back in '99 or 2000. It was a whopping 1.0ghz with 256mb of ram and an Nvidia TNT graphics card. :) I tried to play a few Lucasarts titles like Dark Forces II and Mysteries of the Sith and there was this horrible bug that caused the action to fast-forward like a vhs tape. I contacted Lucasarts tech support and the technician told me that my system was too advanced to play the game. :shock: