Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 May 2024, 14:23

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Wow, 7800gtx and 2405fpw
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2005, 23:42 

Hi all.

I am playing WoW a lot (as always) and have noticed something on my new rig; 2405fpw, 7800GTX.

I can't remember the name of the zone, but it's the ELF one where the small town is by the sea and the whole map is dark and grey (there the ships depart to Metheril harbour etc).

I've noticed two slightly annoying things and I'm not sure if it's just the fact that on the 2405fpw everything is so large and sharp at 1920x1200 that I hadn't noticed it before I got the Dell, but, the little chunks of large grasses kind of "shimmer" when I move. Also, some parts on the ground kind of "wiggle" around when I run forward...like the textures are adjusting themselves or something.

I hope that explanation is adequate.

Is it normal and the fact that the Dell with 1920x1200 is so darn sharp and huge that I just didn't notice it on my old system at 1280x1024 ?

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2005, 00:15 

Hi 1000,

The shimmering you are talking about is somewhat normal. Nvidia did have some problems like you were describing, but apparently fix it driver updates. What version are you using?
If you google nvida shimmering you should find lots of info on it, and some solutions. Seems like some rigs are fine and others not.

Good luck

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2005, 02:33 
Founder
Founder

I'm also using a 7800 GTX. I'm in the blasted lands right now, but i'll see if I can get to Elf territory and check out that discrepency you mentioned.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2005, 03:51 

in regard to screen 'wiggling'
I had same thing.

Try turning on (or off) the 'smooth mouse' option in video settings... I had the same thing, sometimes even getting choppiness. changing the setting of smooth mouse fixt it

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2005, 04:12 
Founder
Founder

I always turn this on by default. But what exactly is mouse smoothing?

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2005, 06:11 
Founder
Founder

Mouse Smoothing:
As the name implies, ticking this setting will mean your mouse movements will result in smoother movement on screen. Ticking this option will not affect your framerate appreciably if at all.

Some of these settings are set up as constants in game code. So, for example, if you want the mouse smoothing strength to be modifiable from the settings menu move the slider to increase or decrease it. This selection variable variable would be altered by a function called when a user modifies the setting. The mouse smoothing function would then use this variable in its algorithm.

Essentially it would be having the many mouse movements on the X & Y axis points averaged - then that average is applied to the mouse decreasing jerkiness & "smoothing" its motion. It also increases the "refresh rate" of the mouse.

For gamers it would be important in some cases to check the default "out of game" mouse settings in the control Panel untick the mouse acceleration if the mouse makers software does not have a setting to "disable acceleration in games" select that.

I took this off a site - a good read.

http://www.planetunreal.com/inoxx/hardcore/hardcore.htm

"Mouse Smoothing is a nice option if you don't have better: the standard Windows 95/98 Mouse is terribly slow, it uses a refresh rate of 40 or 44 Hz, that means that if you play and you have 80 fps, your screen will be refreshed every 12 milliseconds, but your mouse can only send information to the PC every 25 milliseconds. It's extremely annoying when you turn the head, because the mouse refresh rate is so low that it's very jerky, loosing all the benefits of a smooth, fast Framerate. It's really disturbing to realize that you have a hardcore PC with a fast, expensive CPU, a fast, expensive Graphic Card, everything well tweaked to have the maximum Framerate, but the overall gaming experience can be completely spoiled by a $20 mouse which can't transfer your orders properly to the computer.
Luckily there are 2 solutions. When you enable Mouse Smoothing, the motion is interpolated. It's not perfect but it's a tremendous improvement and most players will enjoy the game like this. But Hardcore Deathmatchers are not "most players" and they need something better.
Download PS2Rate, this program is awesome if you have a PS2 mouse ( that's the Round Plug, if you have the rectangle one, called Serial, you're out of luck ) and I have it running on my PC all the time. Basically you can change the refresh rate of your Mouse up to 200Hz. Now that's accurate ! So if you use this program, you won't need Mouse Smoothing. If you have a USB mouse, the refresh rate is 125 Hz so you probably won't need mouse smoothing either.
Logitech Mouse drivers for windows have a built-in 'ps2rate' slider where you can change the sampling frequency of your bus mouse too. Fianlly Windows 2000 has an option somewhere to adjust your mouse speed. Since I don't have this OS yet I can't tell you where."

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2005, 08:58 

I just got my 2405 in, and running on my 6800 GT, wow looks and plays like shit. i'll fiddle with it a bit more, if i cant get anything to work... =( i dont know what to do

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2005, 09:43 

Its OK! Fixed the problem with WoW. cant run it in window mode, or it looks terrible

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2005, 22:17 

Man, I'm so glad I stumbled on this thread.

I've had the same exact problem with the 7800GTX and the Dell 2005FPW. I posted about it, but was told I probably had an inadequate power supply (I don't, it's fine, but I couldn't figure out the problem).

The funny thing is that I suspected the mouse all along -- I got the logitech cordless laser mouse, and the problem arose right after I installed it.

I should have went with my first instinct. Damnit. At least it will be fixed now.