Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Papo & Yo
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2013, 00:27 

Widescreen Grade: A
Ultra-Widescreen Grade: A
Multi-monitor Grade: A
4k Grade: Incomplete

Read Full Detailed Report - Papo & Yo

Papo & Yo is a fantasy adventure video game, The game takes place in an unspecified Brazilian favela which the player has to navigate. The player takes on the role of Quico, a young kid who has run away from his home to escape his abusive and alcoholic father. Quico has the ability to turn the environment into a magical and dream-like world.

Lead developer Julian Barnoin came to say thanks for WSGF being a great resource while porting Papo & Yo from PS3 to PC. Read his blog post here

4:3

16:10

16:9

21:9

3x1

i7 3770K (Ivy bridge) | Corsair Dominator 32GB | Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus Intel Z77 | Corsair H100i | 2 x Gigabyte ATi Radeon HD 7950 in crossfire | NXZT Phantom case | OCZ 1000W Powersupply | Samsung 840 PRO 256GB | 2x OCZ agility 3 60GB SSDs | 2x 1TB HDDs |

Last edited by LuckyNoS7evin on 04 Jan 2014, 00:17, edited 10 times in total.
Edit

Post subject: Re: Papo & Yo
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2013, 01:10 

Quick one on this one, will try again with the screenshots as the 16:10 isn't right

In Fullscreen mode couldn't select any 21:9 res when on eyefinity and even in windowed mode couldn't select anything higher than 1920x1080, someone with 21:9 monitor may have better luck.

I hope I've filled everything else out right, shoot me down if wrong! Well not proper shoot more tell me :)

I do have to say thanks to Julien for coming, saying hi and mentioning the game, it's really surreal and some good puzzples

i7 3770K (Ivy bridge) | Corsair Dominator 32GB | Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus Intel Z77 | Corsair H100i | 2 x Gigabyte ATi Radeon HD 7950 in crossfire | NXZT Phantom case | OCZ 1000W Powersupply | Samsung 840 PRO 256GB | 2x OCZ agility 3 60GB SSDs | 2x 1TB HDDs |

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2013, 04:49 
Editors
Editors

You should be able to simulate 2560x1080 on a FullHD monitor with this tool
http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 43&p=11832

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2013, 14:39 
Founder
Founder

LuckyNoS7evin wrote:
Quick one on this one, will try again with the screenshots as the 16:10 isn't right

In Fullscreen mode couldn't select any 21:9 res when on eyefinity and even in windowed mode couldn't select anything higher than 1920x1080, someone with 21:9 monitor may have better luck.

I hope I've filled everything else out right, shoot me down if wrong! Well not proper shoot more tell me :)

I do have to say thanks to Julien for coming, saying hi and mentioning the game, it's really surreal and some good puzzples

You did excellent mate. Thanks a lot for this. To get a 16:10 res with Eyefinity, you have to either break you Eyefinity group or boot up with just one monitor plugged in. It's crazy, but that's how they role. I generally choose the one monitor method. That way when I plug the other two in, the Eyefinity group is still there.

Can you also grab screen caps for the cut-scenes and FMVs?

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2013, 15:16 

skipclarke wrote:
LuckyNoS7evin wrote:

You did excellent mate. Thanks a lot for this. To get a 16:10 res with Eyefinity, you have to either break you Eyefinity group or boot up with just one monitor plugged in. It's crazy, but that's how they role. I generally choose the one monitor method. That way when I plug the other two in, the Eyefinity group is still there.

Can you also grab screen caps for the cut-scenes and FMVs?

after my reply I had to delete it, went into the game to get a few screens and bam there it was an FMV :doh:

Just looking to see if it stretches or Hor+ etc

EDIT: After running through the FMV a few times (5) I noticed I got it wrong.... it seems to be vert- from 4:3 to 16:10 to 16:9 then from 16:9 to eyefinity it's Hor+, wha\t do i put that as? I've changed it to vert- as that's the main behaviour, I'm sorry I missed that in my first set of screens, I've uploaded a new set from in-game, I'm just sorting out the FMV ones now

Edit 2: Now added FMV screens

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2013, 20:11 
Industry Rep
Industry Rep

Hi guys, I thought I'd chime in about the FOV thing to explain how the game works.

You correctly deduced the aspect ratio behaviour (at least part of it).
I tried many different things and settled on the following solution:
Between 16:9 and 3x 16:9, the horizontal FOV expands.

Between 16:9 and 4:3, the vertical FOV expands. I wanted to preserve the original game behaviour as I didn't see any reason to change that part.
Essentially, the game is originally designed for 16:9 TVs and 16:10 monitors (which is all we have at work).
4:3 is our backwards compatibility mode for old-ass TVs, and we decided expanding the FOV was the most reasonable way to experience the game on these. Not that you'd want to...

As for the extremes, below 4:3 I go back to contracting the horizontal FOV again so that you don't get a huge vertical FOV, and above 3x 16:9 I start reducing the vertical FOV, as the horizontal FOV would become huge and normal rendering algorithms start breaking down at some point (not to mention the wall clipping and near plane issues). I decided 3x16:9 was a fair max limit to the FOV.

So there's essentially 4 different types of FOV adaptation going on depending on aspect ratio. I settled on this after playing with the window size in windowed mode to cover all possible aspect ratios (you can try and play with it), to be future proof.

If you can think of a better solution, I'll be happy to discuss it with you and make a patch if it does seem like an improvement :)

Julien Barnoin

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2013, 22:47 

jbarnoin wrote:
Hi guys, I thought I'd chime in about the FOV thing to explain how the game works.

You correctly deduced the aspect ratio behaviour (at least part of it).
I tried many different things and settled on the following solution:
Between 16:9 and 3x 16:9, the horizontal FOV expands.

Between 16:9 and 4:3, the vertical FOV expands. I wanted to preserve the original game behaviour as I didn't see any reason to change that part.
Essentially, the game is originally designed for 16:9 TVs and 16:10 monitors (which is all we have at work).
4:3 is our backwards compatibility mode for old-ass TVs, and we decided expanding the FOV was the most reasonable way to experience the game on these. Not that you'd want to...

As for the extremes, below 4:3 I go back to contracting the horizontal FOV again so that you don't get a huge vertical FOV, and above 3x 16:9 I start reducing the vertical FOV, as the horizontal FOV would become huge and normal rendering algorithms start breaking down at some point (not to mention the wall clipping and near plane issues). I decided 3x16:9 was a fair max limit to the FOV.

So there's essentially 4 different types of FOV adaptation going on depending on aspect ratio. I settled on this after playing with the window size in windowed mode to cover all possible aspect ratios (you can try and play with it), to be future proof.

If you can think of a better solution, I'll be happy to discuss it with you and make a patch if it does seem like an improvement :)

Julien Barnoin

As I'm up and about and messing with something codewise I thought I would give it a go and the higher ups can tell me if I'm wrong.

I think the general idea is 4:3 is standard, you should always then expand the horizontal FOV in each case of going wider, so in my series of screenshots above instead of losing a bit off the top and bottom when we go from 4:3->16:10->16-9 therefore chopping his feet off, we should just get more the the left and right of our views.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2013, 00:31 
Founder
Founder

We realize that 4:3 really isn't taken into account these days. However, we do want to see more hFOV between 16:10 > 16:9 > 21:9. You could just cut the hFOV in 4:3. If you didn't want to do that, you could make the on 4:3/5:4 resolution with a larger vFOV, while the widescreen aspect ratios follow the fixed vFOV and expanding hFOV. this could be for anything from 15:9 all the way through multi-monitor.

The other thing you could do is make the 16:10 and 4:3 (or just the 4:3) anamorphic in 16:9 widescreen. This would mean that they have the widescreen image formatting with black bars. Think how anamorphic movies work.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2013, 01:29 

skipclarke wrote:
We realize that 4:3 really isn't taken into account these days. However, we do want to see more hFOV between 16:10 > 16:9 > 21:9. You could just cut the hFOV in 4:3. If you didn't want to do that, you could make the on 4:3/5:4 resolution with a larger vFOV, while the widescreen aspect ratios follow the fixed vFOV and expanding hFOV. this could be for anything from 15:9 all the way through multi-monitor.

The other thing you could do is make the 16:10 and 4:3 (or just the 4:3) anamorphic in 16:9 widescreen. This would mean that they have the widescreen image formatting with black bars. Think how anamorphic movies work.

Thanks for clearing that one up :) when I noticed my mistake I made the edit but glad you cleared the rest up as that got a little complicated.

Still a lovely game

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2013, 01:47 
Industry Rep
Industry Rep

Like most game studios I'm sure, we work exclusively on 16:10 or 16:9 screens. We actually had have a colleague bring out an old CRT SDTV from his garage a few weeks before release so we could check that 4:3 actually worked :)
Try buying a 4:3 TV or monitor nowadays, it's not easy.

I do think it's a bit strange that the crowd of 16:9 gamers is requesting a change to the 4:3 mode that they'll never play. I don't think the game will be more playable for them if I do that, and you guys won't see any difference.

So, I'll think about what I should do for that, I certainly didn't come here to start an argument. I might add an option in the next build so that you guys can try it, I'll let you know if I do that.

Respectfully,
Julien