Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2009, 11:21 

Widescreen Grade: A
Ultra-Widescreen Grade: B
Multi-monitor Grade: B
4k Grade: Incomplete

Read Full Detailed Report - The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena

Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena is the sequel to Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay from Starbreeze Studios in association with Vin Diesel's Tigon Studios. The game includes the original Butcher Bay game with enhanced visuals to match the sequel. Gameplay focuses on first-person stealth, melee combat and shooting, along with a strong focus on story, dialogue and cinematic moments. One of the most overlooked shooters in recent years, Dark Athena deserves a purchase from all FPS fans.

Note: This report uses screenshots from the Butcher Bay campaign, but Dark Athena was tested and works exactly the same way.

4:3

16:10

16:9

21:9

3x1

Last edited by StingingVelvet on 14 Jul 2019, 02:12, edited 6 times in total.
Edit

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2009, 11:34 

I wrote the "Pixel Ratio" section as best I could. I messed with it for an hour or two in order to understand exactly what it does and was left with the conclusion that is completely useless unless you want to distort the image.

Still, if anyone else gets the game, plays with it, and has a better idea of how to write the section, please feel free to post your info and I can include it in my report.

EDIT: Added another screenshot comparison in the Pixel Ratio section.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2009, 14:09 
Editors
Editors

Why oh why is this one anamorphic while the consolish Wheelman is fullscreen and 'almost Hor+' :cry: The world has gone crazy ! Thanks for the DR, I've been waiting for this game - and still am : the Euro release is 3 weeks from now... pirates are laughing. I'm not. :evil: Again if no one does, I'll test TH when I get the game, however depressing it is with anamorphic titles.

Check 1440x900 again :!: I think the problem might be on your side (see Wheelman DR). And... why bother testing 4:3 & 5:4 resolutions ?

(Pixel ratio seems like a pretty stupid feature, but on second thought, some people seem to prefer a fullscreen stretched game to black bars... The fools ! Respekt the aspekt !!!)

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2009, 14:46 

Why oh why is this one anamorphic while the consolish Wheelman is fullscreen and 'almost Hor+' :cry: The world has gone crazy ! Thanks for the DR, I've been waiting for this game - and still am : the Euro release is 3 weeks from now... pirates are laughing. I'm not. :evil: Again if no one does, I'll test TH when I get the game, however depressing it is with anamorphic titles.

Check 1440x900 again :!: I think the problem might be on your side (see Wheelman DR). And... why bother testing 4:3 & 5:4 resolutions ?

(Pixel ratio seems like a pretty stupid feature, but on second thought, some people seem to prefer a fullscreen stretched game to black bars... The fools ! Respekt the aspekt !!!)

Funny thing is that Riddick is a very PC title in a lot of ways... it has a ton of video options, a small pinpoint target reticule and good controls (mouse wheel for dialog, etc.).

As for 1440x900, you're right... for some reason my GTX 260 is not allowing me 1440x900 in my desktop either, so I guess it is an unsupported resolution? I'll alter this report and Wheelman's report to reflect this... which means Riddick could become certified.

As for testing 4:3 resolutions, I just list all the ones in the game menu and go through them one by one... I suppose I could cut the 4:3s out, but it doesn't really bother me.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2009, 16:46 
Insiders
Insiders

Any singleplayer anomalies?
If not, all we need to do is test 1440x900, and it can be certified.

Pixel aspect was an option in the first one too. I think the option is there for plasma TVs and projectors, where the pixels aren't always square. For instance, there are 16:9 plasmas with a resolution of 1024x768, and there are projectors that can stretch the pixels to make a 2.35:1 mode.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2009, 17:37 

No anomalies (other than bad self-shadow artifacts, which is completely unrelated).

If Pixel Ratio isn't that huge a deal would you like me to snip it from the report? Don't matter to me either way...

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2009, 23:46 
Founder
Founder

Have you tried going into the NVIDIA control panel and adding 1440x900 as a custom res? That should solve it.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2009, 00:30 
Insiders
Insiders

Nice to see good support. Quite surprisingly, i really enjoyed Escape from Butcher Bay. Enough to play it through twice. Almost got all the items..

Now that I've read this report, I'll certainly be grabbing Dark Athena.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2009, 03:45 
Insiders
Insiders

If Pixel Ratio isn't that huge a deal would you like me to snip it from the report?

It's up to you. I don't think I even mentioned it in my DR of EfBB, but there's nothing wrong with including it.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2009, 06:28 

Have you tried going into the NVIDIA control panel and adding 1440x900 as a custom res? That should solve it.

Worked... sorry for my noob-ness there.

Added 1440x900... grade is certified.