Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
 Post subject: Yuoaman wrote:For those
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2012, 13:03 

For those wondering what the issue looks like here's an image of how the main menu lines up even with the HUD fix:

I read about it in the steam forums. i think there is no way to fix that. I have it too, but its not that of an issue.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2012, 20:46 

It may not be for you, but it's night unplayable for me - having to spend time fumbling around the screen to find where the interface elements actually are isn't my idea of fun.

Post subject: Semi-success
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2012, 08:37 

Hi folks.

First, let me say thanks for all the hard work everyone has put in to getting this old gem to run on modern hardware.

I have KoTOR via Steam and I've replaced the .exe with the Fairlight 1.03 version. I've successfully run the patch and installed the updated HUD files so that my game is running in 1920x1200 and hardware mouse is enabled so that everything lines up nicely. The problem I'm having now is that my keyboard does nothing. I can click on screen elements and I can move forward by holding the left and right mouse buttons, but I can't steer. Before, I could use the arrow keys to move around and hitting ESC would bring up the main menu - none of this works since running the patch detailed here.

My Specs:
AMD Phenom 9850 Quad Core
8GB DDR2 800MHz
Samsung SyncMaster 245BW (24")
Sapphire RadeonHD 4870x2 (Catalyst 11.12)
Logitech G11 Keyboard

Any advice would be appreciated.

Post subject: completely illogical
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2012, 21:17 

I know this thread is ancient, but I never expected to need to ask for help again. I can only hope someone is willing and able to help even after all this time.

I have played KotOR I many times; I began on a bad-quality 1024x768 monitor with pathetic graphic support, and when I got my nice widescreen monitor and new graphics card, I was astonished to find there were actually certain graphic elements that hadn't even existed on my old setup. I enjoyed using the widescreen hack very much, and was very thankful to this site.

However, I have not played it in quite a long time because of computer problems--the game itself wouldn't install, and eventually the myriad issues got to the point where I had to transfer all my data elsewhere and wipe my hard drive.

Now, I can install KotOR perfectly well, but I'm having problems with the widescreen hack. Before, I had done it several times with the manual method (I uninstall and reinstall KotOR now and then because even if you uninstall mods properly, things seem to get left behind somehow at times); now, I can't get it to work either manually or with UniWS. (Strangely, the first few times I tried UniWS, I got error messages, then it seemed to work suddenly.) When I implement either and then attempt to start the game, I get a message saying "Please insert the Star Wars®: Knights of the Old Republic (TM) Play disc.", even though the disc is already in. Pressing Retry only brings up the same dialogue box again; pressing Cancel aborts the attempt as it should. Attempting to start the game by a shortcut, by the launcher, directly from the swkotor.exe file in the game root directory, or from the autorun.exe file on the disc makes no difference.

But when I replace the modified swkotor.exe with a backup unmodified copy, the game runs just fine. The disc is somewhat scratched, but it always worked before, and if that was the problem, it wouldn't run even with the backup copy.

The most absurd part of this is that it all worked just fine for me before. While I did wipe my computer and reinstall Windows, my hardware didn't change at all (except I had to revert to a *$&%^ cave man mouse because my nice one went schizophrenic), and I haven't had any other problems of this sort.

I have tried everything I could think of, including reattempting the modifications both manually or by UniWS many times over to be sure I didn't miss anything and messing about with the "read only" setting on files. I have also searched to see if anyone else has experienced a similar problem, but my resources have come up dry.

Some specs in case it matters:

• NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS card

• 1680x1050 Samsung SyncMaster monitor

• HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H42L

I also tried loading an ISO of the play disc onto a MagicDisc virtual drive, but there was no difference.

• I wasn't using the pre-rendered movies portion of the patch since my computer seems to get hiccups when I do (it was suggested to me before that it might be a codec problem). When using the manual hack, I skipped the step for that; when using UniWS, there is listed in the instructions here a modification to the patches.ini for UniWS that removes that part of the patch, which I also implemented.

On another note, which may or may not matter, I tried comparing the modified and unmodified swkotor.exe files with a program called FileAlyzer by the Spybot crew. There was a great deal of dry code data there, most of which I didn't understand, but from what I could tell, there wasn't any real difference; though, as I said, I am far from an expert.

I would very much appreciate any help anyone might be able to provide. I really want to play this game again; and though I could always give up and play it non-widescreen, I'd really like to explore all my other options first.

Thank you very much!

Attached files

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2012, 11:50 

Thanks for the guide, I've got the game running in 1920x1080, however I have a problem with the HUD.

I've patched the game using the tool, and I downloaded the hud files to put into the override folder. The problem is that in game, the hud isn't placed correctly. For instance, the menu is more to left then it should be.

Would anyone know how to fix this?

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 18:50 

Hi, I just found this patch after trying to install KOTOR again on my new laptop. I patched it for 1600x900, but it seems like the link to the HUD fix in this thread is dead. Does anyone have another link to that?

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2012, 15:17 

I wrote an automated program to patch for a given resolution and automatically rescale the HUD and backgrounds. You can find it a couple of pages upthread. It doesn't seem to work for crazy-large resolutions but it can probably manage 1600x900.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2013, 00:12 

A little editing and clean up would be nice on the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic front page :)

The first link "this page first." gets a 404 page not found error.
The second link " The UniWS should perform the first 3 steps automatically." also gets a 404 page not found error.

Where is the link to a handy step-by-step process? I stumbled across one for a "Steam" Installation, but I have the original CDs. I am sure there are many similarities, and maybe they are exactly the same, but a mention of this would nice to read before messing with game files :)

I just upgraded my computer (still with Windows 7) and am trying to get SW:KotOR running. I installed, ran the 1.03 patch, copied the fdx-sk13 swkotor executable to the install folder, and ran UNIWS patcher using the 1024x768 resolution. I also altered the .ini to 1920x1080.

I get to the LucasArts splash and the game minimizes. I cannot get it to maximize and end up using task manager to close it down. I know I am missing something, as I have gotten this to work swimmingly on my old machine. Unfortunately, all of my games got deleted trying to get my new machine up and running (my bad) so I cannot just copy the whole game folder over.

Thanks for your hard work :)

PostPosted: 16 May 2014, 10:24 

hello guys
is there anyway to add wide screen support to my collection edition of this game?

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2014, 15:02 

I know a lot of people have asked about this and some have even gotten help in this but none of the links I have found work... I want to run SW:KotOR in 1600x900 resolution but I cant find a working link to HUD files anywhere.... I am currently running the game in 1920x1080 resolution but because I have a sucky GPU every time there is smoke or explosions the game lags like hell. this wasn't a problem on my old screen which supported 1440x900 resolution and so I'd like to try if 1600x900 would work too. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next