Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Crysis: Detailed Report
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2007, 23:34 

Note the high numbers, I thought it is a video, who knows how FMV works?

I have a guess. Since it's FMV, each frame is extremely simple for your GPU to render - it really only has to draw one big rectangle for each frame. Let's pretend that this FMV is 24 frames per second. Each frame lasts 1/24th of a second, and your GPU has no problem rendering and re-rendering each one of these rectangles 40 or more times in the 1/24th of a second than it lasts. Each time your GPU successfully renders a rectangle, it tells the CPU that it has rendered an entire frame, and the FRAPS FPS counter increases by 1. My made-up numbers show that this can easily happen more than 960 times per second.

Allright, thank you.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2007, 00:55 

I have a guess. Since it's FMV, each frame is extremely simple for your GPU to render - it really only has to draw one big rectangle for each frame. Let's pretend that this FMV is 24 frames per second. Each frame lasts 1/24th of a second, and your GPU has no problem rendering and re-rendering each one of these rectangles 40 or more times in the 1/24th of a second than it lasts. Each time your GPU successfully renders a rectangle, it tells the CPU that it has rendered an entire frame, and the FRAPS FPS counter increases by 1. My made-up numbers show that this can easily happen more than 960 times per second.

Should not FRAPS simply display a constant rate? The number should not change. All the FMVs I have seen display a constant value.

I get the high FPS with static 2D images.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2007, 02:12 
Insiders
Insiders

Maybe you have vsync enabled and he doesn't. Or maybe your video card is just smarter.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2007, 02:31 

Or maybe your video card is just smarter.

Maybe misadlouhy's FRAPS is dumber.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2007, 14:49 

damn....i try to run it on my LG 194WT , resolution 1440 x 900, but my monitor goes standby and i just hear the sound......the i used hack method by adding dxd9.dll and resolution.ini with my desire setting.... it works ...but only during intro but after loading for the mission , it went error that said something regarding dxd9.dll....

what the problem?

i used ATI X1550....if my graphic card is the problem....maybe i am gonna change it.....

for all 1440 x 900 user that can play the game...can you tell me what kind of graphic card you used....thanks

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2007, 20:22 

I have Vista Ultimate and am half way through Crysis. So, just want to make sure I understand this. I only see one WS mode in the video options in the game. To see all I need to add them in the nvidia control panel? Some enlightenment please :D

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2007, 20:52 
Editors
Editors

damn....i try to run it on my LG 194WT , resolution 1440 x 900, but my monitor goes standby and i just hear the sound......the i used hack method by adding dxd9.dll and resolution.ini with my desire setting.... it works ...but only during intro but after loading for the mission , it went error that said something regarding dxd9.dll....

what the problem?

i used ATI X1550....if my graphic card is the problem....maybe i am gonna change it.....

for all 1440 x 900 user that can play the game...can you tell me what kind of graphic card you used....thanks
Dunno. I just tried Crysis at 1440x900 on my rig (X1950XTX - Cat 7... uh... 9? ) and it was fine... I'll try it with an 8800GT at some point in the next week and see how it does on that if you want.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2007, 21:12 

Hey, PS,

Is it true that in order to see the widescreen settings in the game you have to add them to Forceware?

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2007, 21:20 
Editors
Editors

Hm. Depends what you mean.

If they're not available as a Windows desktop res, they won't be available in the game. You will have to add them via the Forceware drivers (or Powerstrip, if for whatever reason you can't get custom res addition to work in Forceware - nVidia managed to break it for me in any set of drivers post series 80... :() I think there is a walkthrough for that in the Tweaks, Tutorials and How-To section.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2007, 21:27 
Insiders
Insiders

Modern games generally don't have a hard list of resolutions supported by the game, but instead grab a list of resolutions straight from the graphics card's drivers, and filter out any that don't meet certain criteria (typical requirements might include a minimum resolution, a maximum resolution, and a divisible quotient requirement).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next