Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 13:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Crysis: Detailed Report
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2007, 19:55 
Insiders
Insiders

Are you *certain* that there aren't any FMVs? Because the demo has at least one.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2007, 20:18 

there are no story FMVs but there are "training" ones for multiplayer and they are vert- or atlest look it since the top and bottem of the hud in the FNVs are cut off

heres screens of the videos for multiplayer

4:3

16:10

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2007, 20:49 
Insiders
Insiders

Then I guess this game gets a B+. Which is too bad - I was really hoping this would be certified. Of course, there's still the chance that a future patch might fix this little bug - maybe by adding black bars on the left and right for these FMVs.

==Grading==

Calculated grade: B+

Major unresolved issues: None
Minor unresolved issues: None

Summary of widescreen-related flaws:
FMVs are vert -

Cranky's coverage estimate: 100%

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2007, 20:54 

there are no story FMVs but there are "training" ones for multiplayer and they are vert- or atlest look it since the top and bottem of the hud in the FNVs are cut off

heres screens of the videos for multiplayer

4:3

16:10

I thought that it is just video, and now I see it probably is not. Well, this "training" video (one option in menu under multiplayer is to watch this video) is like an old joke, the font of the title "Tutorial...", the voice.. seems odd to me, who knows when it was made. I would not look at it as on integral part of the game, and it definitely is not singleplayer anomaly. It is not even part of the multiplayer. It is just .. tutorial for Power struggle that can be watched from the multiplayer menu.

There is one strange video just when you start new single player campaign (later I found out that it is that FMV that Cranky shows on his VERT- pictures), i think it was in the demo as well: Nanosuit trailer - this video is different from all the other cutscenes in the game, because on my 1680x1050 it is in low quality so I noticed it right away. I think it is a video, but I thought, that that tutorial is video as well, so who knows..

So to sum it up, there is one FMV (Nanosuit trailer) at the beginning of the singleplayer game with no relation to the storyline that only introduces the possibilities of the Nanosuit and there is second FMV (Power struggle tutorial) which can be watched from the menu. These FMVs do not have any relation to singleplayer campaign or to the way how is multiplayer realized: first one is an advertisement (which is usually shown in other games when you start the game from windows, before game menu appears), the second one is *old* tutorial that does not represent the quality of widescreen in multiplayer. I doubt these 2 things will be fixed as - as I said - they do not have anything to do with the actual singleplayer or multiplyer game.

Therefore, for me both singleplayer and multiplayer are certified unless you find some real singleplayer or multiplayer widescreen annomalies :D

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2007, 21:28 
Insiders
Insiders

the second one is *old* tutorial that does not represent the quality of widescreen in multiplayer.

So is there a *new* tutorial in its place or something?

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2007, 21:37 

the second one is *old* tutorial that does not represent the quality of widescreen in multiplayer.

So is there a *new* tutorial in its place or something?

No, I meant old = low quality looking, different voice then in game, big red letters, probably made ages (months) ago.

The decision is yours of course. I just want to say, that for me it does not matter, that there are these FMVs. Gameplay is HOR+ so are menus, that is what matters most.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2007, 22:12 
Insiders
Insiders

If the FMVs are of any consequence at all, then this bug with them kind of has to count as a minor strike against the game. You are correct when you say that the game gets it right where it matters most, which is why Crysis still gets a respectable grade, but not a perfect one.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2007, 05:49 

yea
imo i think Crytek should of just left it out
that and the FMV when you start a new game both look like SHIT
or at lest made high res ones

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2007, 08:23 

Screenshots from multiplayer 4:3 (1024x768) vs 16:10 (1680x1050) resolution

Map loading screen

Joining game screen

Ingame

Available resolutions on my 1680x1050 monitor, Gf8800GTS, Vista 32bit, latest forceware

Tutorial (menu is in czech localisation, this is basic multiplayer menu with options Instant game, Internet game, Local network game, Tutorial)

Note the high numbers, I thought it is a video, who knows how FMV works?

Power struggle tutorial on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIFr_okLtE8

Nanosuit trailer on youtube (in retail game the trailer is cca 20sec longer) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPYF1IftGBc

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2007, 22:52 
Insiders
Insiders

Note the high numbers, I thought it is a video, who knows how FMV works?

I have a guess. Since it's FMV, each frame is extremely simple for your GPU to render - it really only has to draw one big rectangle for each frame. Let's pretend that this FMV is 24 frames per second. Each frame lasts 1/24th of a second, and your GPU has no problem rendering and re-rendering each one of these rectangles 40 or more times in the 1/24th of a second than it lasts. Each time your GPU successfully renders a rectangle, it tells the CPU that it has rendered an entire frame, and the FRAPS FPS counter increases by 1. My made-up numbers show that this can easily happen more than 960 times per second.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next