Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 08:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: 30 Nov 2010, 15:47 
Founder
Founder

To celebrate forthcoming Christmas with WSGF fellows, starting from December 1st, 12:01am to December 19th, 12:59pm EST time, all WSGF members have a chance to WIN an award-winning HIS 6870 Turbo.

All you have to do is simply share your thoughts/ experience of Eyefinity (multi-display gaming) by replying to this forum thread, and then you will have the chance to win this awesome prize.

Enter this Giveaway to receive your HIS-Mass gift NOW! Merry Christmas!

Q: What's your thoughts/ experience of Eyefinity (Multi-Display Gaming)?

Terms and Conditions:[list]
[*]To sign up as a WSGF member, please click here. [/*:m]
[*]The prize winner will be picked from entries received by Midnight (EST) December 19th, 2010.[/*:m]
[*]The prize winner will be announced by 11:59 EST December 24th, 2010[/*:m][/list:u]

For More Information:[list]
[*]Eyefinity Technology[/*:m]
[*]The HIS Radeon HD 6870 Turbo Eyefinity4[/*:m][/list:u]

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2010, 15:57 
Editors
Editors

Awesome prize :rockout

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2010, 17:00 
I Donated
I Donated

nice piece of tech has the powers of awesome for sure

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2010, 21:30 

Yes I registered to be able to enter this contest.
But I followed the twitter for some time.

I'll try to find something in this forum where I'm able to contribute something. :searchplease

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2010, 21:50 

Considering that the 6870 is currently one of the fastest single core DX11 GPUs, and the fact that the 6870 is built on a now seasoned design it's hard to go wrong with this card.
Full HD single or multimonitor, Eyefinity or not, this card should be able to handle it all, time to enjoy some Tesselation I'd say. *laughs*

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2010, 22:11 
Insiders
Insiders

Thoughts and experiences on Eyefinity?

It's awesome. I'll never go back to single screen. Would there be any more to say?

Yes, it's a sweet prize.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2010, 22:51 
Insiders
Insiders

I'm very pleased with the way Eyefinity has brought surround gaming further toward being mainstream. I had resigned myself to not upgrading my video card this year but I'd love to put the 6870 through its paces on my surround setup!

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2010, 23:44 

Not sure what is meant by starting from Dec. 1, 12:01am EST. Not quite there yet, but I'm going to assume whatever I post right now is still valid?

Anyway, my thoughts / experience with eyefinity and multi-display gaming:

When I built my new rig last September, I didn't even consider eyefinity. The 5800's were brand new at a non-inflated price point and provided very solid performance. I had vaguely read about 'eyefinity' prior to building my rig but was only mildly amused by it since pretty much all the publicity was based on the 6 screen version (which I think is both somewhat clunky and extravagant). It wasn't until the 5870's launched and I had already purchased one did I come to realize the power of simply using 3 monitors side by side. I watched videos and reviews (thanks a lot to [H]ardOcp) and decided I definitely wanted this. It took months for Dell's P2310H to come back in stock (eyefinity rush? It was pretty much the only 1080p DP monitor below $200).

When I got my monitors, eyefinity was hands down the biggest game changer I've ever experienced. I discovered WSGF through this when I searched for different FOV fixes for various games (WSGF just kept coming up on google for that).

It's important to note that this wasn't the first time multi-monitor gaming was available. But I think the fact that ATI was behind it and marketed it really brought it to a more mainstream crowd (even if not a whole lot of people actually have a multi-monitor setup, at least your average PC hobbiest now knows about it).

nVidia's surround was certainly a step forward for multi-monitor gaming. With both companies behind this technology, it encourages game developers to further support multi-monitor gaming. My roommate has a GTX 480 SLI surround setup and we both love gaming on three monitors.

I think in the future, multi-monitor gaming will certainly take off if it becomes more available to the average consumer. Nvidia surround has an SLI cost of entry while ATI has the DP limitation. If either camp rids themselves of those constraints, the ease / cost of entry will be greatly reduced especially as monitor costs drop at the same time. Cards are also becoming increasingly powerful relative to the games we're getting these days. Maybe monitor companies could somehow work with nvidia / ati on this (Dell certainly didn't expect their entire stock of DP monitors to get bought out weeks after the 5870 launch).

The 6870 in this giveaway is the perfect example of a very cost efficient entry card for eyefinity gaming. It's certainly powerful enough to run most games in triple wide for a very reasonable cost.

Personally since I have 5870 xfire already, the 6870 would be a novelty card for me (probably give it to a friend of mine and get him started with eyefinity). But I did want to share my experience with multi-monitor gaming.

There's no way I can comfortably game on a single screen in most games now. I'll use a single monitor if I HAVE to - but that's like running an old game at 800x600 windowed mode because I simply just have to.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2010, 00:17 

My roommate has been running 1x3 eyefinity for 6 months now, 5760X1200 using 3 IPS monitors its just jaw dropping. However there are a few things I found that I would have to "live with" when you have a desktop this wide. Web browsing is much eaiser for me in one single monitor, so I typically resize the page so it fits. Movies also get resized, as with any photo editing or word processing tasks.
When it comes to gaming "Wide Screen Fixer" :bowdown is the ticket if the correct aspect ratio and FoV are not supported by the game. The 5760 eats through most of the games @ max rez (-Black Ops, but thats 6 and one 1/2 dozen to the other..)
Finally, the one feature I would like to see implemented would be an easy way to switch to extended desktops, i.e. using the middle monitor as the primary and the right/left as extended. As it is implemented now, you need to "disable" the group to gain the extended desktop functionality. If the profile manager could do all of these changes for you I would typically work in this mode, then switch to 1x3 for gaming. Right now it takes too much effort to disable the group and set it all up again to run in extended mode.
Overall a fantastic technology which I pary is in its infancy and only see more support from software developers. Oh and an optional 3d mode would be sweet too. :rockout

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2010, 00:37 

Playing on one screen won't ever be enough again! I've had Eyefinity withdrawal symptoms even on a 30" monitor. Increasing playable field of vision is the next step to making gaming closer to reality. Seeing this much in an fps must be considered cheating. Eyefinity is succeeding and more games are capable of supporting high resolutions out of the box. It's no surprise that my surround monitor gaming setup awes even those familiar with high end rigs.
I will never go back.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next