Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2009, 04:31 

FINAL UPDATE: Knightmare, the fellow behind KMQuake, has released an unofficial quake 2 patch with perfect widescreen support. This renders a patched exe obsolete.

Previous stuff, disregard:
EDIT: idiocy removed. polite summary: aprq2 is not ideal for single player as it can break enemy AI. I think the cranky hermit was correct to list it as a solution, though, because even now, no simpler solution exists.

UPDATE: I made a fixed exe with widescreen video modes, which is essentially the same as nnsdev's exe, except that you can set the correct FOV up to 180 without the gun disappearing. Otherwise, no changes are made; completely compatible with mission packs, as well as r1gl.

UPDATE3: Actually, I want to take the time to do this properly. Do not bother testing this yet. I've contacted knightmare, and I'm hoping to implement his autoscaled-fov code so that widescreen gamers would have a minimalistic and ridiculously straightforward widescreen solution. I expect to have a final version in a week or so. Until then, my existing file is linked below.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2009, 04:50 

We all knew about this but we had a pool going to see how long it was going to take before someone would notice.

I think DaFox won. Maybe he can help you?

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2009, 05:17 

We all knew about this but we had a pool going to see how long it was going to take before someone would notice.

I think DaFox won. Maybe he can help you?

:lol: that's really funny. why didn't anyone change it? there are a bunch of threads on the steam forums about people installing the apr engine, or the r1gl renderer, or some foolishness that breaks something else, when all they want is widescreen.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2009, 06:34 

why didn't anyone change it?

It was in jest.

Solutions can change and update in a lot of different places in the site over time. There are no definite responsibilities for working on the wiki. It is considered a community effort. So in short, no one knew, so no one updated it.

I will try and get to it tomorrow if no one else does.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2009, 08:49 
Editors
Editors

RANT

I urge you to keep the tone a bit down. Just because people didn't know about a changed solution doesn't make them dumb.
If you have extra information like you did you can post it in a normal way and leave all the namecalling away. You are not making
a good impression of yourself by signing up and ranting like this from the start. Thanks.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2009, 20:23 

(edited to correct my idiotic mistakes.)

You are not making a good impression

Yes, I agree. Sorry.

Will something be done, though? If I start behaving better, can you show me how to fix the wiki?

ERR, EDIT.
@TANUKI: If you're able to change the wiki, here is some additional information.
1. The simplest solution for just playing quake 2 is the hacked .exe hosted in your downloads section. However, you're stuck with 90 degree FOV, or your gun disappears.

2. If you want a proper FOV, use one of the following engines (which do not break gameplay):
KMQuake 2
Quake 2 XP

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2009, 21:55 
Editors
Editors

Someone with wiki access get on this please... it's in everyone's best interests to get this updated. :)

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2009, 01:43 

update, i'd like to explicitly clarify that i'm an idiot.

1. the fixed .exe from the downloads allows does work with the mission packs. but, while it allows widescreen resolutions, it keeps a 90 degree FOV. increasing to 100 makes your gun disappear, and there is no native command to bring it back. r1gl has this problem too. therefore, r1gl is of no use at all.

2. r1gl has this problem too. therefore, r1gl is of no use at all.

3. anyone who wants to play single player in widescreen with proper fov should use kmquake engine, though the eye candy will overwhelm those with integrated graphics.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2009, 04:17 
Insiders
Insiders

stop telling people that the solution is to download THE ACTION QUAKE II ENGINE.

Where on the website does it say we should?

HERE IS THE REAL SOLUTION:
get nnsdev's recompiled QUAKE2.EXE from 2005, which is HOSTED on your DOWNLOADS PAGE. It's exactly the same as regular quake 2, but with widescreen resolution options.

Aprq2 and KMQuake2 have both been found to be better for widescreen, because you can increase the FOV.

to see some of the damage you've done, do a google search for "quake 2 widescreen steam."

The first item I'm seeing is a thread where someone recommends KMQuake2. The second item I'm seeing is this thread. I don't see any results on the first page that indicates we have caused "damage."

Anyway, the first part of the wiki anyone should look at when searching for widescreen solutions is the MGL. You will note that it lists KMQuake2 as a widescreen certified Quake II engine. Before discovering KMQuake2, aprq2 was believed to be the best WS engine for Quake 2. The Quake 2 page itself still reflects that. There's nothing horribly wrong with Aprq2, nor was there since I made that page in 2006, but it is out of date, since KMQuake2 is better.

And I updated it to KMQuake2.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2009, 04:38 

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723827

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782557

however, you're right, i definitely was exaggerating, and you seem to have known a lot more about this than i did. i beg your forgiveness. i think i need to grow up. good work.