Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 07:11

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 2008 WSGF Awards
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2008, 07:20 
Founder
Founder

The WSGF presents its first annual awards. For full details visit http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/2008_WSGF_Awards

Press Release

WIDESCREEN GAMING FORUM PRESENTS AWARDS TO PC GAME DEVELOPERS WITH BEST AND WORST SUPPORT FOR WIDESCREEN DISPLAYS

High Profile Developers Recognized for Embracing or Penalizing Widescreen Owners

HOUSTON, TEXAS, October 22, 2008 - Widescreen Gaming Forum (WSGF) announces the recipients of its first annual awards.

Field of Vision - This award recognizes developers for implementing proper support of widescreen and Surround Gaming displays.

Valve Software (Half-Life 2) - For their 100% track record of producing games that become WSGF Certified for perfect widescreen support. Their Source engine provides perfect widescreen and Surround Gaming support, enabling any developer to embrace widescreen.

Introversion Software (Darwinia and Defcon) - The indie developer, which bills itself as “the last of the bedroom programmers,â€

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2008, 08:09 
Editors
Editors

Here we go, eyes to the web for the feedback.

Post it to hexus.net too?

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2008, 08:25 
Founder
Founder

Post it to hexus.net too?

I sent them a tip on it, but I think you have better contacts, no?

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2008, 19:34 
Editors
Editors

I think I missed the whole affair, but congrats to the team for putting this all together, this is great !! :D

Oooh how I'd love to see where those Narrow Minded trophies ("narrows"?) will be in the coming months... Probably secluded from dust, direct sunlight and inquisitive looks. (Please consider planting webcams into next year's trophies !) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2008, 03:32 
Founder
Founder

I wanted to pass along some feedback I've received:

From Introversion (posted in their forum):
You know how even your best friends can be really annoying at times, by banging on about the same thing again and again when no one else is interested? This usually happens when they have had a few beers, and it doesn't seem to matter what signals you send, they just do not get the message that they are boring the hell out of you. Well with Chris it's the compression of dynamic range of music to suit radio play, and ratios. 16:9, 4:3, 7:8 he'll talk for ages about it (if you ever invite him around to watch a DVD, you had better make sure you set up your projector correctly).

Well it turns out that his fanatic obsession with ratios has finally been rewarded. WideScreenGamuingForum.com have honored us with the "Field of Vision Award" for having an "exemplary record of supporting widescreen and/or Surround Gaming". Many of our dev team have found themselves on the receiving end of a stern and tedious lesson on the basics of aspect ratios, but now they will enjoy the fruits of all the hard work. Thanks guys, if you keep your fingers crossed, Chris might deliver Subversion in glorious 2.35:1!

And from Infinity Ward (from a private email):
Thanks for the email. We saw the announcement yesterday and we're extremely excited to receive the honor from your community. We can't wait to proudly display the award in our studio and will be putting up news of the award on our official site shortly.

We really appreciate you guys taking the time to recognize and support our game and we hope to stay in contact with you throughout the development of our future project(s) to get your community's insight and certification on future titles from Infinity Ward.

Thank you and pass it on to your community.

I also traded some emails with Hothead Games (who made Penny Arcade Adventures). They have a strong passion for widescreen as well, and are going to keep us in the loop for beta testing on future projects.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2008, 03:38 

Sounds great all around Ibrin! :D

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2008, 10:09 
Editors
Editors

Great stuff Ibrin ... 8)

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2008, 12:59 
Editors
Editors

it made me tear. Awesome work.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2008, 13:03 
Founder
Founder

Couldn't have done it without the community, and without a lot of hard work from the Insiders.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2008, 20:19 
Editors
Editors

Nice.