Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2008, 13:28 

This is a continuation of another thread, since I was unable to set up a poll in the other section. Also, this is a bit off topic, and once we're done voting, we can turn around and make it another announcement of sorts. So here's the vote details if you didn't follow the previous thread.

I, Cynagen, am the Primary Games Coordinator. I have procured another server for which I've allocated to WSGF and it's members. We already have a TF2 server live and playable, and I'm looking to expand the interaction level between our members further. On the other thread, we discussed a couple different games, and I've seen large support in the amazing 36 hours it took to generate 3 pages of posts, for a few games. This poll is the culmination of the (relatively) short thread before it. Now it's time for you, the users, to pick what game shall this server become dedicated to.

I've given a week on the vote, please post after you've voted, and share with us your ideas on the games presented to the vote. Whether you'll play any of the games we've listed, how likely you'd be to play.

Also, to those following from the suggestions thread whom may be a little concerned that i'm "jumping the gun" so to speak, I do ask that you take into account i've been sitting on this hardware for almost a month with it just collecting dust. I'd like to commission it into service sooner than later. The suggestions and the two games presented here are both great games, and I would love to see either hosted by us.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2008, 15:38 

I vote for nwn,

I have the game just need to reinstall it, since I've never played it online however I have no clue how interested in it I would be.

I'd have to buy battlefront so no vote unless I find it.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2008, 19:30 
Editors
Editors

Before I give my 2¢, just wanted to say thanks to you, Cynagen, for you efforts in providing servers for the WSGF community.

I would play either game, so I'm not sure how to vote, yet. It would be nice to have a different genre of game (NWN) available, but there are some points on SWBF2 that make the barrier-to-entry/likelihood to play much higher:

1) Drop-in gameplay, just like BF2, TF2, etc. (I don't know if NWN has this capability)
2) Like most shooters, 15-30 minutes of play can be satisfying. With NWN, sometimes it takes that long just to sell loot in a store.
3) Server can run a number of bots until they are displaced by human players, so you can actually play solo until other people join instead of practicing your sentry-building skills. ;)
4) Can support 32+ players. I'm pretty sure NWN has a much lower maximum. (again, I don't have hard data)

If SWBF2 is elected, I have some recommendations on maps to avoid. There is also a very nice 3rd party server manager available from Black Bag Ops.

@Mesh (and any others interested)--Best price:
SWBF2 $10 DVD version

I've got a bunch of SWBF2 game videos. If I posted some online would that help people decide if they want to buy the game? Sadly there is no demo.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2008, 21:28 

Anything that is low cost with CTF

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2008, 22:18 
Editors
Editors

Anything that is low cost with CTF

SWBF2 has lots of CTF maps. Some with 1 flag, some with 2. Can be very challenging with balanced teams.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2008, 22:42 

I vote SWBF2 or any FPS just because to me they are more fun especially with short amounts of time towards playing.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2008, 22:42 

Any more thoughts? I won't post my thoughts and I've banned myself from voting so I don't influence either way. We need to break the tie, it's 50/50 right now, 3 votes each.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2008, 23:39 
Editors
Editors

For those unfamiliar with SWBF2, here is a quick sample:

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2008, 00:54 

Nice video, is it all 3rd person or is there FPS too?

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2008, 05:00 

For those unfamiliar with SWBF2, here is a quick sample:

Oh god that brings me back...