Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2008, 22:06 
Editors
Editors

I could be pursuaded for SWBF2, and add it to your DR list. :-)

Yes, Master! ;) I'd be happy to add that to the list, though you realize that list is starting to get a bit long, right? Not a complaint--I like being busy. I can't stand being unproductive, and the phrase "I'm bored" isn't part of my vocabulary.

Another bonus for SWBF2 is that it's only $10.

If we are avoiding shooters, my vote goes back to NWN. If we do that, please leave the server on version 1.68, 1.69 renders the game inoperable for me and a number of other folks (see bioware forums).

I might dust off my dedicated SWBF2 server just to have it available for WSGF players. I'm interested in how well it will perform on my net connection, as well.

Cynagen, you've got me curious. Just how much computer hardware do you live with?

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2008, 23:27 

I could be pursuaded for SWBF2, and add it to your DR list. :-)

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/Star_Wars:_Battlefront_II

We're incomplete on the info. I might be good enough to get Certified, we know it is Native Hor+ with no HUD Stretch.

I didn't even think of this. I have it and it would be awesome.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2008, 23:54 

Cynagen, you've got me curious. Just how much computer hardware do you live with?

I currently have in my apartment...
My main computer, HTPC, 360, FreeNAS PC, 1 Rackmount server, 1 Tower server, one mobo with server class processor (2 gen back), 2 P4 PCs that are not in service.

That's 2, 5, 7... 7 computers. Umm, and 3 more in the apartment that are a friend of mine's, one of his fried in a thunderstorm a couple months back.

10 computers total. 1 fried, 3 not mine. And the 360.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2008, 00:17 

Besides the obvious maintain/support aspect of the software on the server, why choose?

I mean, does it take that much ressource to run one of those dedicated server consoles that you couldn't say, run a ut2004 + tf2 on the same box?

Heck even put a schedule, half day one, half day the other or something.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2008, 00:25 

Besides the obvious maintain/support aspect of the software on the server, why choose?

I mean, does it take that much ressource to run one of those dedicated server consoles that you couldn't say, run a ut2004 + tf2 on the same box?

My 2.4GHz Celeron, 512mb ddr1 laptop lags on Source dedicated servers just to give you an idea of how much it needs :/

My CS1.6 Clan has lots of problems with shared hosting because we are such a CPU hog when the servers full.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2008, 00:26 

Umm... TF2 eats one of my dual processor boxes entirely. My servers are 3 generations back. Pentium 3.

Pentium 3, Itanium, Xeon, are the last 3 major processor generations from intel that were widely used. I'm 2 generations back on all my server hardware cause it was all free for me to take. The TF2 server eats lots of time on the dual P3 I've got it installed on. UT2k4 would need at minimum the same entire dual P3 to run even halfway decent framerate (think 30fps), when it should be running 10x more framerate than the clients. TF2 runs about 300-400fps with nobody on it, and that's less than 10x TF2's preferred fps (60). Nobody complains right now because of the great scaling system that Valve put into the net code.

Oh and if I have to run windows to make a server for the game, forget it. There has to be a linux dedicated server, as that's the only way I can make the TF2 work, or any other high-action game.

I've never released the entire specs to the public on this server before, only select individuals, so feel privledged a bit...

Dual 933Mhz Pentium 3
1gb SDRAM 133Mhz
Pair of Atlas 9gb 68-pin SCSI for OS in RAID1
Pair of Quantum Fireball 18gb 68-pin SCSI for game servers in RAID0
I forget the manufacturer of the RAID controller card, but it's got 128mb onboard that I installed (SD100).
Linked through on a Microsoft 10/100 switch to my primary router.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2008, 00:40 

TF2 runs about 300-400fps with nobody on it

For the sake of comparison, Major server providers usually offer 300/500/1000FPS constant servers. With the 300FPS being for the jank $20/month servers, 500 for an average server and 1000 for a higher end server.

Fine fine... it was just an idea...

Yeah I know :p but I dont see a point of hosting basically a laggier version of an official server with basically nothing changed. Running some mod would be decent but it would probably be a worthless effort.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2008, 01:05 
Editors
Editors

...1 fried...

:lol:

That's an impressive list for an apartment. I think the max # of computers I've had running at one time is 6. Now I'm down to 4: primary, server, 2xHTPC. My old rackmount server (now gone) was amazingly loud. If I had tried using that in our first apartment, my wife likely would have chucked it out our second-story window. :)

@Mergatroid-
A fellow player! Look for me online. I try to play once or twice a week in the evenings when time allows (not so much lately).
Xfire: generaladmission
In-game: GenAdmission

I'll post details on my server when I can get it back up.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2008, 03:24 

gee, never thought the servers to be that ressources hungry. Of course I've never run one myself to know.

I figured like for eve online private server why need a separate box for each, now I know lol.

Think those friends with knowledge of eve might know how to run autoassault if only for me to have a single person server? it's the only mmo I've ever liked and all others are ruined now that I'm back to walking.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2008, 03:37 

SWBF2 seems to be incompatible with vista so even if I got it, I couldn't play it. What kind of game is it anyways? rts?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next