Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 04:26

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2008, 22:14 

Ok, here's the deal, I've procured another machine to run as a server for us. Single processor, 1gb of RAM. What games should we be looking at to host. This is of course going to be WSGF branded, but it's for the WSGF users. If you guys choose something too big for this one, I can move things around and make it happen one way or another. So people... what would you like to see a server hosted for?

Some early Insider suggestions were UT3, UT2k4, CS:S. Anything else we should be looking at? Suggestions with some backing (and are feasible with the hardware on hand here,) will be listed in a future poll.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2008, 23:28 

private WoW server?

or at least I've heard of such things :)

shame noone made one of those for autoassault, the only mmo I might have played.

anywho I'd vote for ut2k4, since I don't have UT3 and hate cs:s.

maybe if cs:s had a mod that isn't so, hmm, realistic.

Could also maybe make a nwn or nwn2 server? so us non-fps addicts might play :)

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2008, 23:40 

private WoW server?

or at least I've heard of such things :)

shame noone made one of those for autoassault, the only mmo I might have played.

anywho I'd vote for ut2k4, since I don't have UT3 and hate cs:s.

maybe if cs:s had a mod that isn't so, hmm, realistic.

Could also maybe make a nwn or nwn2 server? so us non-fps addicts might play :)

I'm actually a member of one of those private WoW servers... got a character on their triple XP realm (since there's only like 500 players on max at any time, maybe 150 of them battle-ready @ max level.) I was looking into doing that, but it's TONS of work, and maintenance, not fun for me anymore.

I heard votes from you for UT2k4, and NWN/NWN2 (just got NWN complete set, maybe that's something to look into afterall... didn't know it could be mmo or at least online.)

Ho' shit... NWN IS BY BIOWARE?! WHY THE HELL HAVEN'T I PLAYED IT! I'm throwing in my vote NOW for NWN server... screw a UT/CS server... We already have a TF2 server!

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2008, 00:09 
Insiders
Insiders

... COD4? With no punkbuster so we can have triplehead?

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2008, 00:16 

I haven't played nwn in ages, and never online. It was laggy single-player too ;).

NWN2 was more of a meh reaction, though regardless of reviews it's fairly close to the original.

I'm probably not the best advisor for this choice though, right now I play exactly 0 games online.

The only mmo I was ever having fun with is now defunct (autoassault) and I've always found fps and similar to be too laggy for me to enjoy.

The only fps I did enjoy was back in the quake2 days with a superheros mod. Alas the only server running that mod was stopped and the sequel on quake3 just wasn't fun, no servers for it either.

Speaking of bioware, how's that mass effect drm coming along? has it been patched out yet? I'm not buying it till it's cleaned out.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2008, 00:28 

A small note about private wow servers. I was originally a pioneer on them back as early as the wow beta when i was a youngster. I played on the exclusivly for a long time told everyone how awesome it was and i dident have to pay a thing... Then one day I decided to go out on a limb with a few friends and get the 14 day free trial of wow. Well let me tell you one thing I sure changed my attitude quickly. Im sure they are WAY better today than they were 3 years ago but there is no substitute for playing a decently non buggy game with thousands of other players at the same time on your server which does not happen with a private one.

With that said... I cant see any server that you have to know the info to get onto it working like NWN (presumably) or WoW. There will never be enough players. People would rather play alone than maybe get lucky and see someone online.

And with that said... Its a freaking pain in the ass to fill up a server.

Speaking of bioware, how's that mass effect drm coming along? has it been patched out yet? I'm not buying it till it's cleaned out.

No change. If your that interested in buying it you could always just pick it up and use a crack knowing that one day (presumably a year or so after the release) it will be patched out.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2008, 01:11 

A small note about private wow servers. I was originally a pioneer on them back as early as the wow beta when i was a youngster. I played on the exclusivly for a long time told everyone how awesome it was and i dident have to pay a thing... Then one day I decided to go out on a limb with a few friends and get the 14 day free trial of wow. Well let me tell you one thing I sure changed my attitude quickly. Im sure they are WAY better today than they were 3 years ago but there is no substitute for playing a decently non buggy game with thousands of other players at the same time on your server which does not happen with a private one.

With that said... I cant see any server that you have to know the info to get onto it working like NWN (presumably) or WoW. There will never be enough players. People would rather play alone than maybe get lucky and see someone online.

And with that said... Its a freaking pain in the ass to fill up a server.

[quote]Speaking of bioware, how's that mass effect drm coming along? has it been patched out yet? I'm not buying it till it's cleaned out.

No change. If your that interested in buying it you could always just pick it up and use a crack knowing that one day (presumably a year or so after the release) it will be patched out.

You forget that I can write a patcher that automatically injects the information into the game in order to get onto the server. That's how I can pick what server I want to play on my private server WoW client. I'm on 2 seperate private servers, so I just pick before WoW even starts up which one to inject into the realmlist.wtf file. (And yes, to those who've never seen WoW's directory, there ARE "wtf" files.)

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2008, 06:57 

HL2DM COOP

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2008, 11:34 

HL2DM COOP

Have those gotten any better at all? :S I tried one once and I thought it was pretty stupid, Then I went back to playing FollowFreeman and Synergy.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2008, 16:44 

Ashamed to say, I have never finished NWN. I suppose the NWN server would be a PW type of deal?