Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:23

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Logo Contest Winners!!!
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2006, 18:05 
Founder
Founder

I realize this is a long time in the process, so I appreciate everyone's patience. I'm still not fully decided *what* I'm going to do about the logo.

I've had a number of conversations through IM, PM and IRC about the logo. A lot of people like the globe (as the site has a large WW presence), even though the "cog" aspect may not truly represent the site.

Given all that, I am working with Paddy and some of the other contest entrants to see what we can come up with. In the mean time, I've gotten some help from Paddy for a slight re-working of the current logo to better showcase the site name and reduce the filesize.

But, thank you to everyone for their time, support and great input. The contest winners are as follows:

Grand Prize: Placebo
1st Runner Up: JohnnyWakko
2nd Runner Up:Chris_thecarguy
3rd Runner Up: Praetorian

In addition, the following folks won T-Shirts through the random drawing:
illy
metal-head
jeff_sterling86
Jokester
ViscousXUSMC
borbosha

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2006, 22:23 

Hazaa hazaa

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2006, 22:41 
Editors
Editors

oo, glad placebo won, but where did this globe come from? It wasn't in the Voting Round #2 :?

Its quite nice, but doesn't really show the wideness of widescreen.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2006, 00:16 
Founder
Founder

oo, glad placebo won, but where did this globe come from? It wasn't in the Voting Round #2 :?

Its quite nice, but doesn't really show the wideness of widescreen.

It is a modification of the logo we've had for a while. While there was a lot a liked about each of the logos submitted, none of them completely fit the bill.

Chris's had great style, and fit in the site well, but looked like an older CRT monitor. I tried changing the aspect to a more WS ratio, but it didn't quite look right. Would make a great shirt though

Placebo's was great as well, but I had implementation issues on getting it to layer behind the banners and left-nav like I wanted.

Paddy's had a nice tech/gaming aspect, but I had the same implementation issues.

Johnny's was good as well, but it would have to be re-worked (which I don't have time for at the moment) in a higher res. And, I love the retro aspect of the joystick. We might still look at it in the future. Especially for a shirt, or if the site is re-designed.

A number of people on the IRC, and in the Insider chat we had on this, liked the globe. They like how it represented the WW aspect of the forum membership, and didn't want to loose it. Since the "cog" didn't really represent WS (though it did represent the "work" we do on getting games to work, at lesat to me), I removed it. And, the animation took up a ton of bandwidth.

So, I just decided to tweak what we had, while I work with Paddy (and some of the entrants) on a more permanent solution.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2006, 00:44 
Editors
Editors

Ahh cool
Would the current logo look good with the WSGF shaped around the globe? That way the text would look "wide" and would still represent the WW aspect of the forums like you were saying.
Just an idea, i have no idea if it would make the logo look messed up. Im no designer.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2006, 03:04 

I'm glad Placebo won (can you guess who I voted for? :) ), but my sincere thanks and congratulations to all who entered! I'm jealous of your artistic abilities! :)

pat----

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2006, 04:43 

congratulations to all the winners!

i won a t-shirt! awesome! how do i get it over here so i can get it on my body? :D

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2006, 05:08 

Ibrin

I don't quite understand the globe as yet. Is it a "globe" as in the world?

When I look at it I see a silver circle inside a blue circle (which looks like stone marble seeings the white marble texture and the shiny appearance)

Is there something I am missing?

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2006, 05:41 
Founder
Founder

illy,

i need to send PMs to everyone to request snail mail addys. will do tomorrow (it's late now).

JW,
Yes, it's the globe as in the world...

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2006, 05:02 

Thanks to all the people who voted for mine! It was great fun designing the logos, I think a lot of people turned out really snappy looking stuff and I'm really glad to have been a part of it.

And of course thanks to Paddy for providing the prizes, and to Ibrin for finally telling me that I had won (would've never found this thread otherwise)

I'd just like to say that this is a great forum, there's nothing quite like it on the Internet that's such a resource for both the hardware and software sides of widescreen gaming. I came here almost half a year ago when I was a clueless dweeb, and here I am now with a 20WMGX2 that I love.

Gaming in widescreen is the best way of pissing away my junior year of high school ever!