Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 05:39

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Site Redesign Launched
PostPosted: 27 May 2006, 05:29 
Founder
Founder

Hey all. Just wanted to let you know we've redesigned a large part of the site. Most all of the "non-forum" content has been moved to a Wiki. You can hit it by clicking the "Home" link above, or http://www.widescreengamingforum.com All the old pages redirect, so everything should be good. Let me know what you think.

PostPosted: 27 May 2006, 08:50 

I really like the style of it, and love the games / cards / monitors section, that makes a lot of sense particularly for new people wanting info.
It feels right.

I dont understand however the graphics card bit;
ON the main page you say
helpful if your video card has Aspect Scaling
for non native games - am I missing something, or doesnt every card scale? Or am i misunderstanding that with the abililty to change resolutions. Either way, with my setup it's my monitor that scales, not my graphics card, so am i unusual? Maybe I am having one of those days....

Followingf the link, you have begun a list of graphics cards - nice idea i think. This is a wiki? So we can all enter our own cards?

PostPosted: 27 May 2006, 10:03 
Editors
Editors

Aspect scaling is the option to show a non native res with black borders.
That is a GFXcard option or your monitor can have a build in option for this.
But since most monitors don't have this it can be "helpful if your video card has Aspect Scaling". :D

This is indeed a wiki but we decided to let the editing be for the Insiders only.
This to prevent bad things from happening. :wink:

PostPosted: 27 May 2006, 10:41 

Good to learn stuff, didn't realise most people scaled with their graphics card. Just when you feel like you know stuff....

Insiders hey? Not regular posters then....

PostPosted: 27 May 2006, 11:33 
Editors
Editors

Insiders hey? Not regular posters then....

Nope, only Insiders. :)

PostPosted: 27 May 2006, 13:08 

Looks really nice, cool idea to have a wiki! Good work!

PostPosted: 27 May 2006, 14:38 
Founder
Founder

[quote]Insiders hey? Not regular posters then....

Nope, only Insiders. :)
Yea. I know it sounds odd, that you've got to pay to work on the site. But, I've done this for a couple of reasons:

1) Not allowing just anyone to sign up prevents spammers. The easiest way to do that was to leverage the Insider list. Being in the Insider group automatically gives you a Wiki login.

2) I want to make sure those people who update the Wiki are committed to providing solid info for the site. I figure if you've paid cash, or have done two detailed reports, then you're committed. No "drive by" editing.

3) it helps to ensure accurate info. We've had a number of instances where people posted innacurate info for a solution. Either posting an invalid solution, or arguing against a solution. Creating an entry barrier helps to ensure that the people who can edit are people who've been around a while and understand Widescreen.

Now, there are benefits to being an Insider. We are going to start doing a lot more Insider raffles. I'm working to secure hardware for testing/review. I just got ctrlsteef one of the Wacom widescreen tablets to review. That's a $300 piece of hardware he gets to keep. I'm finalizing an agreement with Nvidia for site sponsorship. They have already collected some shirts and games for us to give away. And, they are working to secure cards for people to bench/review.

And, one of the Community Relations Mangers from Nvidia has just signed up on the board. He will be availble to answer questions for Insiders, and will be offering briefings about Nvidia tech and hardware in the future.

So, become an Insider, help the site, and get a chance at free Nvidia swag and games (in addition to anything else I can come up with). Once you've "really" proven yourself, then you'll be able to get free hardware to review. Hopefully, it all makes sense, and would be worth the $2/month.

But, that all being said. We've still got a lot of work to do on the Wiki. We need to migrate all the game info over, and create a page for each game. If anyone is willing to put in some time doing that, I will make you an Insider on a trial basis (no work, no Insider :wink: ).

PostPosted: 27 May 2006, 15:01 
Founder
Founder

Yes the site is indeed incredible for helpfull advice :D

In my case, the thing I like the most is the contact I have had with the so many wonderful folks here. I have made many friends & we have all shared in each others lives & supported each other through both the good times & the bad.

Ibrin & the others have indeed created a wonderful, warm, safe & caring community here.

I think I also so very much enjoy the zero tolerence policy here against flamers - who are the bane & cancer of the Inet forums.

Paradigm shifter (AKA Thor) & his Ban Hammer has enforced that amazingly well.

PostPosted: 27 May 2006, 18:52 
Founder
Founder

I've figured out how to make an image a link to a page (rather than go to the Wiki "image page"). The images on the front now link to the appropriate pages. Soon, I'll split the monitor image into three separate images, and three separate links. Also, I figured out how to take of the little "external link" image.

PostPosted: 29 May 2006, 15:05 

Interesting.