Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 23:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: WSGF Approved Game
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2005, 20:16 

We need to turn up the heat on these game manufacturers, to stay ahead of the widescreen curve.

I suggest a simple marketing campaign where we design a "Wide Screen Gaming Approved" Logo copyright it and then provide it free for game manufactures to put on their boxes as either a sticker or right on the box.

The requirements are:

1) Must support different aspect ratios
Portrait 3:4
Projectior 5:4
VGA 4:3
Wide Monitor 16:10
Notebook 15:9
HDTV 16:9
(others?)

2) Must allow for FOV to match screen aspect ratio (proportional to 4:3)

2) Support must be within normal configuration control menus

3) Must have properly scaled Text, HUD and 3D graphics

4) Must support AA, TLF and AF in the game controls (thats not widescreen but seriously people....) *Ok maybe we scratch this one.*

Then we follow that up with a press release to all the gaming magazines and G4 TV. Hopefully some writer for the gaming rags will ask the manufacturers about this with new releases.

Anyone a graphic artist? (Similar to the Explicit Lyrics or THX Logo)

I will volunteer to help with the press release and pay for the production of 25 press packets and mailing (for manufacturers and press)

In all we probably need 50 PPs, a logo and a WSG approved website, Emailbox, and CD-R's with electronic version of the Logo and information for each press packet.

I would also suggest that we start by getting one or two smaller gaming companies who's games already support this to sign up (for free) that way we can include their logo in the Press Packet. Who makes Ground Control 2? Maybe the Quake folks would sign up?

Anyone interested?

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2005, 19:17 

The idea is quite nice indeed. This would also enable us to see when an approved game supports widescreen before we buy it.

But (there's always a but):
The cost of such a project, although I have no experience in such things, would be quite large I imagine. Since Ibrin seems to have trouble enough breaking the cost of this forum even, I doubt there would be enough money to set this all up.

But to build on your suggestions for the requirements: I think you should split up the different aspects into different logos. It's too much to ask to support all aspects, especially the unconventional ones, like 3:4. There could be one logo designed to show the supported aspect(s).

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2005, 02:28 

I too, had given this subject some thought, and had even gotten to the point of almost actually writing some of the companies that have been supportive of WSG...

Unfortunatly, I never did send any of those emails, but who knows... I may yet get around to it.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2005, 04:56 
Founder
Founder

I had the same idea. Great minds think alike. Maybe we could get one or two developers to jump on board and include the logo on their box. All we'd need is a press kit, some way to validate support, and then let them provide links back to the forum in their product documentation.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2005, 05:59 

I had the same idea. Great minds think alike. Maybe we could get one or two developers to jump on board and include the logo on their box.

OK that's a good place to start.

Who is doing right? What developers are making the games totaly Widescreen compliant.

I mean you run the game, adjust the menus and Voila your playing widescreen with good FOV and high rez...?

I was going to say UT2004 but then I realized that 1920x1080 was only in the menu because I hack it in there with the console. The original UT is the only game I have that works correctly "out of the box".
But those are just the games I play. .....Anyone?

Ibrin is right we need a developer or two to sign up.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2006, 06:51 
Founder
Founder

I had the same idea. Great minds think alike. Maybe we could get one or two developers to jump on board and include the logo on their box. All we'd need is a press kit, some way to validate support, and then let them provide links back to the forum in their product documentation.

I was thinking about this idea the other day, and realized that few if any developers would feel obligated to implement widescreen support that met such stringent (though needed, admittedly) standards just to have a widescreen approved logo on its box. The market just isn't there right now, and I have a feeling that the need to mandate such widespread support for widescreen would have to come from the top down, as it did from Bill Gates for the xbox 360.

Even then however, Bill mandated widescreen support because that is where the future of television and home entertainment is headed, Microsoft made that decision at Bill's behest after some serious pre-release market research on the buying habits and makeup of its key consumer demographic.

Still, I can't count out the idea of a grassroots movement completely. Or even media pressure upping the anty. I suppose the simplest way to implement the latter idea would be to have already established periodicals like PC gamer add a 'widescreen' rubric to their grading criteria. The biggest obstacle to that would be deciding what constituted proper widescreen support, and who would get a say in deciding that.

Third party/end user grass-roots media (like our beloved WSGF :D) can exert more influence toward that end, but I imagine that it might have to take the next step and move toward print media rather than remaining an internet only source for the widescreen community. Lots of possibilities there. :wink:

edit/update

One other thing I thought i'd mention with regards to media. I was browsing a home theater enthusiast magazine's web site last week, and belatedly noticed that they had a section on gaming. Not huge mind you, but a nice crop of reviews for PC and console games as they relate to home theater gaming. Like widescreen pc monitor's, I think this is an emerging (though very small atm) enthusiast segment. Not too sure if it will ever branch out beyond that though, due to the technical learning curve for some, the lower resolutions that television's support and the inability of pc's to invade the living room (even with Viiv) but...hehe...I digress...anyway,

All of the reviews were played on big screen televisions, but I noticed that despite the focus of the website/magazine (i.e. widescreen televisions as a central part of the home theater experience) that most of the widescreen issues were only mentioned in passing. The reviewer would be like, "Well this particular game fills up the whole screen" while in another they'd say, "Well this particular game only plays at a 4:3 aspect ratio". Ok, all fine and good, but never once did they really say anything beyond "Wouldn't it be nice if this game supported widescreen television resolutions and aspect ratios". In other words, there was really no focus, constructive criticism of the lack of support, or admonishment (civilized admonishment, of course) to the developer to add widescreen support in. There was also no critique of the way the game handled widescreen (which I'm sure would drive Paddy and Cranky nuts ;)

One wonders if this is somewhat intentional on the part of the reviewers and publishers, but for now it does serve to point out how even mainstream media outlets are somewhat conservative when it comes to grading, evaluating and propagating the need for more widescreen support.

[second edit/update]

Something else came to mind to, with regards to mainstream media. I think it was only a year or two ago that the hardware editor at PC gamer was still hanging on to his recommendation of a CRT for his top of the line gaming machine. Just the other week, I was browsing through an issue at the local bookstore and read that the entire office uses 19" LCD monitor's at the PC gamer office for their gaming. That makes sense, as a 19" LCD is most likely going to provide you with the broadest compatability possibile and offer a good balance of resolution and size. They are quite aware however of widescreen LCD's but have yet to really come out and embrace them fully. Methinks their reasoning might be similar to that of the Home Theater Mag I mentioned above. I.e. the sense being that although things might be moving in that direction, widescreen gaming still remains an enthusiast market. So, in the meantime I think most publications are playing it safe during this era of transition and waiting to see how the market plays out. Its a conservative approach, but one I can definitely understand.

PostPosted: 02 May 2007, 08:59 
Editors
Editors

I wouldnt mind designing a logo, even if its just for fun.

now that HD stuff is getting big, widescreen is sure to get big. Already on the back of say an Xbox game case you will see the little "icons" with the game features and "16:9" support is one of them.

All PS3 games are supposed to support widescreen I think, if the console market is going to be able to do it thats a good foot in the doorway to get PC game's with some sort of marking.

PostPosted: 02 May 2007, 09:58 

ALL Xbox 360 and PS3 games MUST support 720p and I think 1080i for the 360 also. So I guess thats a step in the right direction. :)

This approved widesreen game tag would be a really cool idea, but I think it needs to be a little more lenient. Maybe the games have to support say 4:3, 5:4(Pretty much every game supports those now anyway), 16:10 and 16:9 all with the correct FOV and no stretched game elements. Games that support 3:4 etc just have that printed on there also.

PostPosted: 02 May 2007, 17:17 

[quote]I had the same idea. Great minds think alike. Maybe we could get one or two developers to jump on board and include the logo on their box.

OK that's a good place to start.

Who is doing right? What developers are making the games totaly Widescreen compliant.

I mean you run the game, adjust the menus and Voila your playing widescreen with good FOV and high rez...?

I was going to say UT2004 but then I realized that 1920x1080 was only in the menu because I hack it in there with the console. The original UT is the only game I have that works correctly "out of the box".
But those are just the games I play. .....Anyone?

Ibrin is right we need a developer or two to sign up.

Valve.

Even the legacy GoldSrc engine got upgrades to support widescreen properly. (Half life 1 and Mods)

PostPosted: 02 May 2007, 18:35 

My question is, when are we going to get off our asses and actually formulate these ideas into a sane rubric and install ourselves in the market as the Widescreen rating authority, for/by widescreen users.

Also if we're really serious about this, we might want to think about a dedicated website to the project. "WideScreen Gaming Forum (ratio) Approved" sounds very authoritative enough, but we need to back that up with stance. Nothing puts you in the stance of authority faster than a domain dedicated to a project. I would love to volunteer for this job (maintaining the website).

Now onto who I think would work great for this project:
Cranky as the rubric master for this project, director of testing
Ibrin as project manager
Paddy the Wak as PR/Press/Developer relations

These guys have already proven their ability to work well and closely with one another here on the forums, I see no reason why they would fail on this project.

Anyone else with any ideas or nominations for positions in this project?

Oh and I have an idea for a sticker layout. I'm gonna draw it out, take a picture of it, and then post it here later.

Go team Widescreen!

EDIT: My sketches came out messy, and I did them kinda small, so it'd be a pain to snap with my phone's camera and then blow up for detail.