Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2005, 16:56 
Founder
Founder

The WSGF has garned a little bit of press coverage in print and on the web. This thread collects those mentions. If you see any new ones, please let us know.

he site got a mention in the UK Edition of PC Gamer. Paradigm Shifter was nice enough to let me know and pass along a scan. You can check it out here: WSGF in PC Gamer UK

And then in an article on Extreme Tech

And most recently in the July 2005 issue of CPU Magazine, by Alex "Sharky" Ross, in his monthly column

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2005, 04:36 

Found you through a posting on the [H]ard|forum, in a thread about the Dell 2005FPW. I'm trying to get Doom 3 with the 1.3 patch to run in a resolution other than 640x480.

I read CPU on a regular basis, so that's the first mag I thought of. Congrats on the mention. I'll let you know about which games, so many to choose from, it's a toughy.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2005, 03:31 

You are absolutely correct. :D

I had no idea that Sharky was going to mention us (he didn't contact me). Did you find us through CPU? Let me know which games you want, and I'll ship them out to you.

Hi Ibrin,

Sorry for not letting you know in advance but I wanted to thank you in any case for running such a nifty place. I've been hooked on Widescreen monitors, TFTs and TV's for years. Ever since I got some silly-expensive 65-inch Widescreen Mitsubishi Diamond TV in the winter of 1998. I just can't go back to 4:3 whether it be for gaming, movies or general PC usage. I've actually been a lurker for a while and often check out threads etc.. about compatibility problems and the like with different games. Not to mention some folks having fixes. It's really useful having a spot like this where folks like us that review all the ATI crossfire, Nvidia SLI etc... stuff can figure out certain issues (namely the widescreen kind). OK off to play Doom III (I mean test) in 16:9 on one of the two 20 inch Dell FPWs on some next gen hardware . (I'm ordering the 24s next).

Anyways keep up the great work folks.

Cheers!

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2005, 19:24 
Founder
Founder

Sharky,

Thanks for mentioning us in CPU, it was a very nice suprise. CPU is one of the few magazines I read from cover to cover (I'm a subscriber :D ). I must have shown that page to a dozen people. Thanks for coming out of lurker mode, at least for a moment. If there is anything that we can do for you, please let us know. And, if you need a place to cast off those 20" panels, just send me a PM. :wink:

-Ibrin

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2005, 03:20 
Founder
Founder

We got a new mention today, at AnandTech, in their review of the HP2335:

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2467&p=8

I had actually e-mailed Kristopher Kubicki after his shoot-out between the Dell 20" and the Apple 20". As he put it in his latest review, I gave him "some flak" about how their thoughts on gaming on a widescreen. In this new article he quotes two paragraphs of my article, mentions me by name (I guess that's not a secret anymore 8) ), and calls me a "colleague." Pretty good day, if you ask me.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2005, 19:36 
Editors
Editors

Hehehe... :D
Good job, Ibrin!
He even said that he was outclassed by you when it comes to widescreen gaming. That was a good complement! :)

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2005, 05:44 
Editors
Editors

Btw, I have seen press coverage in other languages also. Here is one in swedish:

"Ett forum dedikerat till att få spel att funka i widescreen/HDTV-lägen hittar ni här:
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/"

http://www.nordichardware.se/Artiklar/?page=4&skrivelse=344

Translated it will be like this:

Here you can find a forum dedicated to make games work on widescreen/HDTV:
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/

I also saw one in german, but cannot find it again...

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2005, 16:11 
Founder
Founder

Babelfish translates this one:

http://golem.de/0509/40707.html

As:

A comparison between the broad picture and to the normal picture opinion with plays a gallery of the Website offers widescreengamingforum.com.

---

Pretty cool they actually mention the screenshot section.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2005, 01:36 

In the latest issue of PC Gamer US, #143 if I'm not mistaken (Neverwinter Nights 2 is the cover story), in the Backspace by Gary Whitta, he says "...or go online to one of the user-run support groups such as Widescreen Gaming Forum (http://www.widescreengamingforum.com) to seek out a custom hack that will force the game into your monitor's non-standard resolution..." while he talks about his new 2005FPW.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2005, 06:11 
Founder
Founder

ooh. i need to go find that one ASAP.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next