Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 27 Jul 2024, 02:23

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2014, 01:32 

Until my own setup I had never physically seen or tried a multi monitor gaming setup. Ive had dual monitors for a while for non gaming tasks and I saw that the models I have were on sale for $100 off. So I decided to goto best buy and grab one.. worse case scenario I didn't like it and I would just return it right? yea right... This is the most amazing thing! I have no idea how I played games before =/ I have 2 long time friends who are/were AVID console gamers. Both use to give me crap for preferring PC to consoles. "The $$ you spend on graphics cards is crazy!" they would say.. "I dont really see much difference in this game on your pc compared to my xbox.." blah blah blah.. we all know the type! Both of them are now saving to have me build them a beast of a machine for tripple monitors.

Anyways.. the first thing you do with a multi monitor setup is start loading up your games to see how they look and if your PC has the balls to play them. The next thing you notice is that many of them do not act right when forced to crazy wide resolutions. I quickly found this place searching for a fix to a problem and it has been an invaluable resource ever since, so I thought it was time to stop by and say hello. My PC specs are below.. its really showing it's age now with the tri monitors but I have to say I was extremely surprised at the GPU usage (or lack of?) when rendering 3 times the amount they had to before. Obviously there is a usage hit but it was far less than I expected and ive been able to run games pretty maxed out that I KNEW there was no way I would be able to without severely dropping the settings.

3x AOC i2757fh 27" 1920x1080 IPS
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Asus Sabertooth 990fx r2
AMD FX-8350 @ 4.2 cooled by an H100
2x EVGA GTX-580 SC 1.5gb (REALLY wishing I had sprung for the 3gb cards now)
8gb Kingston HyperX @ 1600
2x Samsung 840evo 250gb SSD's (One for windows, one for linux)

The 580's are still really good cards, I just wish I had sprung for the 3gb versions.. 1.5 was really stretching it with newer games.. and with 3x the resolution it is just not enough at all anymore. I tried to get my buddy with 2 EVGA GTX-580 Classifieds and 3gb to trade me for mine + $100.. he was smart enough to say no =P This rig has to do until next year, as I am waiting for ddr4 and the 800 nvidia series before building a new rig. :triplewide: is the way to go!

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2014, 14:07 
Editors
Editors

:welcome

Triplewide is the way to go! The only bad point of this is that you feel horrible when a game is broken and you try to play it on single monitor.
I mostly give up after 5 Minutes.

:triplewide

2x580 is the older generation but the cards surely do have some fire left in them!
As for the performance triple monitor is not exactly 3x the performance needed. As you do have 3 times the pixel count but not 3 times the objects rendered in the field of view. So the Vram is not 3x as much.