Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 11:50

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: matrox triplehead2go
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2014, 01:28 

I built a triple Dell monitor setup using a Matrox triplehead2go for flight sims about a couple years ago. Worked great and no problems. I hadn't used it for 3 or 4 months when I fired it up again a couple weeks ago. It was dead in the water. The monitors read "going into power save mode." I disconnected the Matrox and ran a video cable from the video card in my computer to the center Dell. Fired up the computer and got a working display. Any ideas people? There's a lot of complaints about Matrox's triple and dual heads to go, but I didn't find clues about fixes. The triplehead2go has good ventilation and I didn't smell any burnt varnish. I don't feel like trashing a two to three hundred dollar box and buy a new one just yet. And from what I've read online Matrox's customer support is crappy. So I thought I'd ask here.

Post subject: Re: matrox triplehead2go
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2014, 15:13 

hey mate, its been awhile since i used these but i got the matrox th2g digital edition (vga & dvi in, 3x dvi out) and digital se (dp in, 3x dvi out) and if i remember correctly both have power status leds. Red for stand by and green for power on. If the th2g unit is NOT showing red then i suspect you may have a dud usb power cable or port on the computer. If the led shows green but the monitors are going to sleep (no signal) then maybe the default resolution of the dell monitors are not supported out of the box from the matrox th2g unit and you will need to install powerdesk (matrox software) to get custom res support. This is especially so for the digital edition unit. Its still possible you might have a dud unit but double check your hardware and software before spending coin. I hope this helps in some way. Also if you do need to get new hardware then another th2g company is called mview (http://www.mviewtech.com/class_en.asp?catid=829) but these days upgrading your video card is probably cheaper, for example a Radeon 7770 can do 3 monitors out of the box:
http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentatio ... 1723&lid=1
(Im sure there are other better cards but doing some reaserch into this will yeild better results than a th2g unit)

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2014, 15:22 

After some troubleshooting, I've discovered the power-on light on my th2g doesn't come on. I tried another usb cable and still no light. I also tried multiple usb ports on the computer and no light. Anybody have any other thoughts I should try?

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2014, 00:03 

I can only suggest the obvious, try it on a different computer - or perhaps disconnect all other usb devices to reduce power load.
No led light at all is not good news. I own a couple but have never encountered no led light.

If 'about a couple of years ago' in your first post means less than 2 years, the warranty might still be active. Th2go units have kept their resale value, so it might be worth asking for a RMA repair even if you are planning a replacement.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/support/rma/home/