Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:50

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2014, 01:44 

Hi all,

My name is Justin (born2beflyin). I'm not totally new to WSGF, since when I got my triplehead gaming rig FINALLY set up in the summer of 2012, I found this site through an internet search and have used it for support issues several times.

Though I have posted a couple times, I wanted to officially say hello in the spirit of joining the community and to let people know what I plan to be working on for the community (and myself) in the foreseeable future.

After a year of "kicking the tires," I've decided to finally put some effort behind bringing SoftTH into the DX10/11 era. I'll be launching a Kickstarter project within the next month or so to get some initial donations for work on SoftTH. Money donated will go toward my time as developer (to offset time away from my family, possibly even my real job, etc.) and toward game purchases for testing (as needed, though I plan to rely mostly on the community for debug help if feasible). If enough money is gained, I may even be able to pay another talented developer for his/her time on the project. I plan to work on SoftTH whether the project gets much funding/donations or not, but I will be much more likely to dedicate significant amounts of time and effort if their is a show of community support. I want to bring SoftTH forward for my own gaming purposes, and I want other gamers like myself to enjoy the benefits of SoftTH not being limited to DX8/9 games.

The (unofficial) NEW home for SoftTH: http://www.softth.net - currently contains just some preliminary info - to be greatly refined

Like SoftTH on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/softth

Get the source: https://github.com/born2beflyin/SoftTH (still barebones - to be populated very soon)

Let me know what you think. All constructive suggestions are welcome. I love SoftTH and am fascinated by what it can do, and I will never be satisfied with anything less than multihead gaming again. I'm sure there are others out there like me.

Thanks, and I look forward to your support and to bringing SoftTH 3 to life.

Justin
(born2beflyin)

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2014, 13:27 
Administrators
Administrators

:welcome

Still only the readme and licence files are there, how many months has this been active now?? :cry:

I wish you the very best of luck taking on this project, I hope you have the skills required to make it workout. :WWTH2Go:

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2014, 14:04 
Founder
Founder

Welcome. I see you've also found the SoftTH forums. Good luck with the endeavor and be sure to keep us updated.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2014, 15:54 
Editors
Editors

:welcome

Lucky to see someone working on SoftTH :rockout:

May i ask, what's your advertisement strategy for your Kickstarter campaign? just by creating a Kickstarter Page (and a Fancy Video (definitely Needed! With lots of examples)) you won't reach much of an audience.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2014, 20:14 

Delphium wrote:
Still only the readme and licence files are there, how many months has this been active now??

True, the GitHub repo has been active for months, but I haven't made a concerted effort to work on SoftTH since about a week after I launched the repo. I'm working on getting the code base "repo-friendly" at the moment and plan to import the new structure into the repo very soon.

Haldi wrote:
May i ask, what's your advertisement strategy for your Kickstarter campaign? just by creating a Kickstarter Page (and a Fancy Video (definitely Needed! With lots of examples)) you won't reach much of an audience.

Sure, I'm still developing my plans for getting the word out. Right now it consists of a pre-launch campaign of social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) and forum posts of screenshots and videos of results with the updated code. The idea is to create as much awareness as possible that SoftTH is back in active development, before the Kickstarter campaign launch, to see what kind of community interest/support is out there. Hopefully, people will "Like" the SoftTH pages, thus spreading the word to friends of friends of friends as much as possible. I also plan to promote with Facebook/Google+/Twitter ads depending on the amount of interest, or lack thereof, I've seen from the social media networking sometime before the Kickstarter launch. All of this will continue during the Kickstarter campaign.

I'm an aerospace engineer by education and a programmer/gamer/100-other-things by hobby, but my business/marketing experience is very limited. I feel I have the technical savvy to get the job done, but as you indirectly stated, marketing is key. Any suggestions/advice/help you have for me are absolutely welcome.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

If you like SoftTH, show your support by liking and sharing the SoftTH page on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/softth or http://www.softth.net

Thanks again,

Justin
(born2beflyin)