Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 21:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello Everyone!
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2012, 04:54 

I have been lurking around here for a while, but only recently joined. I work for Microcenter, and for the Reddit fans here my store was the one with the Gabe pictures on the tabs that made first page in gaming a few days ago. And it was not a customer that did it. :D I work in the BYO computer section pretty much helping people build gaming rigs and what ever else people want to do. So, I have a pretty health knowledge of PC hardware but still read what ever I can to keep learning. Hence my lurking visits here. Lots to learn here to help myself and my customers.

Anyway, let's move on to the part I'm sure will interest most of my fellow nerds here the most. My rig. I will just let my pics and links do all the talking. I am sure others have crazier rigs than mine, but I am pretty happy with it and have more planned.

3DMark Vantage - p47253 http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/4012645

3Dmark 11 - p16930 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/3152737

The pic above is a tad outdated, I have upped the RAM to 32GB to run a pair of RAM caches. This is why.

The HDD's are in RAID 0. Minor mistake in the making of the pic. :)

Quick rundown of the bits and bobs.

CPU - 2600K @ 4.8Ghz daily / 5.1Ghz benchmarking and can be seen in links above.
Mobo - P67 Asus Maximus IV Extreme
RAM - 32GB Corsair 1600 Vengeance
GPU's - EVGA GTX 680 SLI

That covers the main bits. Have some parts to start a proper water rig sitting here. Need fittings and tubes yet. Then the CPU loop will be made. Have not decided on the GPU blocks yet. Not sure I am keeping the current cards. Might get some 4GB ones or wait for 685's to hit. If they ever do.

Feel free to comment or ask questions.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2012, 20:34 
Editors
Editors

:welcome

Nice rig.

I'd go full Water cooled! So awesome when your computer is (totally) silent! Got two HD7970 +i7-3930K Watercooled. CaseFan is 180mm@700rpm. nearly silent. Even with CPU & GPU at full load, its wonderfull!

About that RAM Cache, do you see any difference in normal usage ? or just in benchmarks ?

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2012, 06:09 

You see some in some areas. Like games I use a lot load faster. Works best if you never shut down. Not sure if they plan to add some way to store the cache on a drive or not. Where I noticed the most improvement was in video capture and editing. Everything is just faster and smoother. Has no effect on the rendering, just what I am actually working on.