Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2011, 23:18 

I'm Mark. I've been registered here for a while, but haven't really contributed in any way at all. That is mainly due to a series of unfortunate events. Basically I've had one defective 5970 and two defective palit 580 3gbs. Likely I'll finally be getting my RMA 580s in two weeks or so and that will mark the beginning of my existence in these forums. I will hopefully be running 6196x1080 and am currently looking for some games that run smoothly. Any recommendations? Basically open for anything be it racing, FPS or strategy (although I've heard surround strategy is pretty miserable haha). I could technically write a biography here, but I don't think you know me enough to care.

Cheers!

Post subject: Wow, tough run with your
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2011, 23:51 
Administrators
Administrators

Wow, tough run with your cards. Hopefully it's not a motherboard issue, strange to have so many DoAs.

All the best with getting it sorted. A great resource that this site has is the Master Games List. Check it out: http://widescreengamingforum.com/mgl Anything with a gold or silver medal next to it has great widescreen support, so check to see how those games performs in surround. Some great games for widescreen action are the Left 4 Dead series if you like a zombie shoot-em-up, HAWX or Wings of Prey for semi-arcade flight sims, Dirt 2 / Dirt 3 or Need for Speed Shift 2 Unleashed for racing.

Welcome to the forums!

Post subject: Not a motherboard issue,
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2011, 12:31 

Not a motherboard issue, switched mobos already (previously Gigabyte UD7, now Rampage Extreme III). Couldn't believe my analysis the second time round either, that's why I decided to test mobo first. PSU is a Corsair 1000 HX - that should not be the issue. I've heard rumors though that Gigabyte Germany does not live up to US standards (some companies complain about a large number of RMA requests).

Thanks for the link, will definitely give that a shot. In shift 2 do you have the option to switch view to birds eye cam? Didn't like Shift 1 very much, because in Cockpit mode I always feel like I have no control over the rear of my car (for some strange reason - probably just me). HAWX is definitely on my list - should I get the first or the second game?

Post subject: Yeah strange indeed!In
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2011, 13:23 
Administrators
Administrators

Yeah strange indeed!

In Shift2, you can get a high angle behind the car view, sounds like what you mean. Same as Dirt 2 and Dirt 3 - all great games.

Ironically, I loved HAWX1 far more than HAWX2 - if you use Steam, they usually come out on sale at Xmas, but if you can't wait till then and want to buy just one, get HAWX1 - far greater game.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2011, 17:34 

Behind car view that sounds right. I heard Dirt 2 was a good game. It said so on my radeon card (came free with it). Too bad my card didn't let me play it haha

I'll go with HAWX1 then to start, since I haven't played any flying games yet. Used to have a friend how was really into the MS Flight Sim series, but I didn't like them much.

How is steam? So far I've basically only used it for LAN weekends (CS, Day of Defeat...). Some people have told me their Crysis Warhead licenses randomly expired on steam. I just want to make sure that doesn't happen.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2011, 08:25 
Administrators
Administrators

:welcome

+1 for HAWX1, I quite enjoyed Wings of Prey also, good single player fun, but it can lag in online multiplayer I hear. :)

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2011, 10:28 
Administrators
Administrators

I find Steam to be great, not had a problem with them, although you do hear the odd story here and there but it's more unusual than usual - not many of my friends have had any issues that I can remember.

Post subject: Any particular set of NV
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2011, 11:47 

Any particular set of NV drivers that works best or should I just go with the most recent ones?

@ Delphium

Thanks for that second opinion. HAWX 1 is on the way to my house ;)

@ Timmeh

Looks like I will be using steam then.