Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:59

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2011, 08:46 

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, but I have read the FAQ's on this website a couple of times.

I'm a owner of a "normal" computer, but I'd always loved a tripple screen setup when I first played the Sega F355 challenge.
A couple of weeks ago I heard about the Ati Eyefinity possibilities, I have the dream to makes this work on my own computer ;)

What I want to do;

Upgrade my ATI card (4890) to a ATI 6950.
Buy 2 additional 23inch screens (probably a LG, because of the price).

I don't want to spend more than 600 euro to make it work. (220 for the 6950, 2x 150 for the screens, so that should be possible)

But this is where my questions starts :)
I'm not a massive gamer (most of the times I play some older games) like Starcraft, Flight Simulator 9 and Anno 1701, so I think that one ATI 6950 would be fast enough to support the 4000+ res. I'd have to admit that i love Battlefield Bad Company 2, so this game might be become a problem with a tripple screen setup. Currently i'm able to run it without any speed problems with my 4890 on a res of 1650x1250 or something like that...

I have read some tests about the 6950 and I found out that this card is able to achieve about 30 frames or more on modern games.... But is this enough? By how many frames is a game considered as good playable, and not to be a slideshow? 40, 50?

But I have some questions about the additional screens. I can't find this in the FAQ-list. Currently i have a Samsung B2233w with a DVI-sub connector, but if I buy some additional (cheap) screens they might have another connector. Like HDMI, DVI or maybe VGA (i want to avoid the last one). Is this a problem? Because how can I connect 3 screens at one graphical card? Most of them have only 2 ports? And what about the connection itself. Can i please some converters? Do i have to buy an addition cables? And will windows stretch my screen?

I hope that you guys can help me with this.... :)

Thanks in Advance,

Frank Elfert from the Netherlands.

Post subject: Hi Frank! Welcome to the
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2011, 03:38 
Administrators
Administrators

Hi Frank!

Welcome to the forums, I am sure we can answer your questions.

Probably best to copy and paste your questions into a new thread in this forum, the right people should be able to help you out.
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forums/multi-monitor-gaming/amd-eyefinity-discussions

Some quick answers: The Eyefinity cards have more than two connectors on the back. They vary from card to card, but you can find more information in this article: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/article/amd-radeon-6970-6950-review
Also, anything above 30fps I find acceptable to game with as super smooth
As for Windows, in Eyefinity mode, it will see your desktop as one very wide monitor. Things should not stretch, but the backdrop will span across all three monitors.

Anyway, you'll get more answers in the Eyefinity section I hope.

Welcome and enjoy the forums.