Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 09:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Future multiscreen gamer
PostPosted: 21 Sep 2010, 20:55 

Hello,

I have been investigating wide screen gaming for several months now. Wish I could afford to drop $3,000 on a really nice system, but I'm not that well off. I have been gaming on XBOX 360 for about 5 years now, but only recently got a pc that is capable of any decent graphics. My pc is an ASUS G72GX notebook, with nVidia GTX260M built in. It has an HDMI out and VGA out. I currenlty play iRacing through the VGA out to a 22" monitor.

I was looking into the capabilities of softth, but feel that I cannot get enough monitor connections to make that work very well, since I'm on a notebook. My most likely solution is going to be to use Matrox's TripleHead2Go Digital Edition and 3 lcd monitors. I currently have a driving setup that I built from fiber board. It has a seat from a 1986 Integra and is made to hold a PC tower, XBOX 360 and currently has a 22" Envision monitor mounted and a Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo S Wheel. My wife named this rig 'The Man Cart', since I don't have a whole room in the house for my 'stuff'. It needs some modifications to hold my G72 a little better. Since I dumped the PC tower, there is a lot of space that needs to be used more efficiently. On the XBOX 360 I play Forza Motorsport 3, which has multiscreen capabilities, but requires one console for each screen, as well as a game disk for each console.

ASUS HD7950-DC2-3GD5-V2
Thermaltake Chaser Mk I
Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid RS-850
Corsair H100i Water Cooler
G-Skill Trident X - 2x8GB
Monitors: 1x ASUS VS238H-p + 2X ASU

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2010, 03:02 
Administrators
Administrators

Sounds nice!

Yes, the TH2G is probably your best option. Be aware that a GTX260M won't be able to run everything on max graphics on 3 monitors (seeing as it has to do three times the work of one screen etc) but it will still provide some awesome gaming.

Not sure where you are located, but I can help out with a cheap TH2G if you're in Aus/NZ.

Timmeh

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2010, 19:07 
Insiders
Insiders

I feel like this is not a good idea. Running three high res screens is heavy strain on the system. It could be done with lower res screens and the ingame video settings turned way down.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2010, 09:05 

i would have to agree even i dont run 1080p on all my monitors at once and i have a custom coputer made for my gaming needs i play at 1080i or 720p most days