Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 09:17

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: BHawthorne wrote:helifax
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2012, 19:35 
Editors
Editors

[quote][quote]works a treat, centre only task bar, windows open to single displays etc. I've not tested games, stability etc yet.

Anyone tested the driver in actual games? to see how it behaves?:)
Can it do 2x1 and 4x1?
No, the new driver can't do 2x1, and from that I extrapolate that it can't do 4x1 either.

I love the improvements to Taskbar centring, and windows now maximise to a monitor, rather than across three. This driver has, frankly, fixed my biggest issues with Surround.

The fact that a GTX680 costs basically the same as my GTX460 SLI setup did, and totally obliterates it when gaming is no bad thing either. Saints Row 3 @ 6064x1200, DX11, Ultra settings.

Post subject: Paradigm Shifter
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2012, 22:13 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote][quote][quote]works a treat, centre only task bar, windows open to single displays etc. I've not tested games, stability etc yet.

Can it do 2x1 and 4x1?
No, the new driver can't do 2x1, and from that I extrapolate that it can't do 4x1 either.

I love the improvements to Taskbar centring, and windows now maximise to a monitor, rather than across three. This driver has, frankly, fixed my biggest issues with Surround.

The fact that a GTX680 costs basically the same as my GTX460 SLI setup did, and totally obliterates it when gaming is no bad thing either. Saints Row 3 @ 6064x1200, DX11, Ultra settings.

So basically it is safe to game with it...No problems and no cards going out in flames?:)) That is good to know;))

Only website to show TRUE 3D Vision Surround Gaming Videos(viewable by anyone) only at
3D Vision Surround Gallery

E-mail and Paypal (for people who wants it): [email protected]

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2012, 22:09 
Editors
Editors

So basically it is safe to game with it...No problems and no cards going out in flames?:)) That is good to know;))

It's the coolest and quietest running nVidia card I've seen in some time. Idles ~30*C, loads at max (so far, in Saints Row 3 and Shogun 2) at 64*C. This is running on the same custom fan profile which only just kept my GTX460s from spontaneously combusting when playing new games.

Post subject: Paradigm Shifter
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2012, 23:06 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote][quote][quote]works a treat, centre only task bar, windows open to single displays etc. I've not tested games, stability etc yet.

Can it do 2x1 and 4x1?

That is unfortunate. The whole idea behind 2x1 and single GPU spanning is to set the bar low as possible for entry into surround-gaming club. I suppose only time will tell if they make this port standard across all 600-series cards. It's one step closer to lowering the bar all the way so anyone can piecemeal a triplehead system, but it falls short of what AMD allows. I suppose 2x1 option is less meaningful in a world where LCDs are $120 each though. Still for the economy gamer they have to buy a $500 card and 2x $125-250 LCDs to get the job done. That's pushing +$750-1000 dropped into a system at one time to triplehead.

Post subject: BHawthorne wrote:That is
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2012, 23:19 
Editors
Editors

That is unfortunate. The whole idea behind 2x1 and single GPU spanning is to set the bar low as possible for entry into surround-gaming club. I suppose only time will tell if they make this port standard across all 600-series cards. It's one step closer to lowering the bar all the way so anyone can piecemeal a triplehead system, but it falls short of what AMD allows. I suppose 2x1 option is less meaningful in a world where LCDs are $120 each though. Still for the economy gamer they have to buy a $500 card and 2x $125-250 LCDs to get the job done. That's pushing +$750-1000 dropped into a system at one time to triplehead.

Yeah, I agree... it could be done better. Still, most of the gamers who do try Surround are likely to play a fair amount of FPS games, so lacking support for a setup which puts a bezel smack in the middle probably wasn't the largest of their worries.

Had an interesting quirk today with the new drivers and Taskbar Centring. On a cold boot, the taskbar was centred, but at the top of the screen, unmovable, and half off the top. Killing the explorer process and restarting it did nothing; however, on a second boot (left off for a couple of minutes to make sure it wasn't a warm reboot) and it was how it should be. A few more restarts were all fine too. Curious...

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2012, 23:59 
Insiders
Insiders

Yeah, I agree... it could be done better. Still, most of the gamers who do try Surround are likely to play a fair amount of FPS games, so lacking support for a setup which puts a bezel smack in the middle probably wasn't the largest of their worries.
Had an interesting quirk today with the new drivers and Taskbar Centring. On a cold boot, the taskbar was centred, but at the top of the screen, unmovable, and half off the top. Killing the explorer process and restarting it did nothing; however, on a second boot (left off for a couple of minutes to make sure it wasn't a warm reboot) and it was how it should be. A few more restarts were all fine too. Curious...

I'm using 301.10 with Tri-SLI GTX470 at the moment. The driver is buggy. I think my issue is with 3D Vision and the new adaptive-vsync. YouTube overlays flicker and when you control-t turn off S3D in-game it doesn't stick. I think when the adaptive-vsync shifts it resets 3D Vision to on even when you toggled it off. Minor things like that are annoying me. It's not a game-stopper though.

The issue I take with the lack of 2x1 is also that lowering the bar for entry. It's more pronounced with projectors. 3x1 requires $1500 in projectors while 2x1 only requires $1000. I've been pushing 2x1 Eyefinity 120-180 degree projection for about a year now as a viable entry level configuration compared to triplehead. The lack of 2x1 on NVIDIA side is problematic. I suppose the Zotac DP-to-Dual HDMI adapter covers that though for $45 and the GTX680 DP port. That's still $45 I'd rather people not have to spend.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2012, 18:25 
Administrators
Administrators

I just noticed toms hardware has done a second review that details both triple monitor benchmarks and SLI benchmarks.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/geforce-gtx-680-sli-overclock-surround,review-32405.html

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

Post subject: helifax wrote:Paradigm
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2012, 23:02 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote][quote][quote][quote]works a treat, centre only task bar, windows open to single displays etc. I've not tested games, stability etc yet.

Can it do 2x1 and 4x1?

One thing I noticed!!! Using these drivers at least for a GTX590 is that the VDC is now 0.960 instead of 0.913. This will make the card work around 6-8 degrees hotter on watercooling. No idea about air cooling. So be advised and monitor the temperatures and voltages.
I know the GTX 590 has some weak VRM for the memory... you wouldn't want of those to pop;))

Only website to show TRUE 3D Vision Surround Gaming Videos(viewable by anyone) only at
3D Vision Surround Gallery

E-mail and Paypal (for people who wants it): [email protected]

Post subject: I've been using MSI
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 05:34 
Insiders
Insiders

I've been using MSI Afterburner to control fan speed. Not had temp issues so far because of that.

Post subject: Ibr.... Skip you busy
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 12:35 
Editors
Editors

Ibr.... Skip you busy Benchmarking/ testing or that didn't work out?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next