Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Who is most deserving of the Indie Developer of the Year 2013 award?
Poll ended at 28 Jan 2014, 10:08
Colossal Order 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Flying Wild Hog 47%  47%  [ 7 ]
Klei Entertainment 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Minority 27%  27%  [ 4 ]
Ninja Theory 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
Pocketwatch Games 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 15
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2014, 10:08 
Administrators
Administrators

The following developers are in contention for the 2013 Indie Developer Of The Year awards for the reasons outlined below. Please cast your vote so that we can reward the deserving developers and encourage them to continue supporting our community!

:cheers:

Indie Dev of the Year
The independent studios put up a good showing this year with many titles fully supporting our community.

Colossal Order - An independent game studio based in Finland, Colossal Order are best known for their work on the Cities In Motion series. The second installment features perfect implementation of all widescreen and multi-monitor support.

Flying Wild Hog - This small developer from Poland have earned their nomination with their second consecutive gold standard game in Shadow Warrior. This developer built their own game engine from scratch and their flawless implementation of widescreen and multi-monitor support have earned them their nomination.

Klei Entertainment - Klei is an independent studio from Canada, and both of Klei's games that we have tested achieved gold including their latest game Don't Starve, which is fully Hor+ and achieves gold in all our required certifications.

Minority - Another independent game studio in Canada, this team are the makers of the Papa & Yo game. The lead developer Julian Barnoin even came onto WSGF to thank us for being a great resource while porting the game from PS3 to PC. They obviously took note, because Papa & Yo implements widescreen and multi-monitor perfectly and earns them a nomination in this years awards.

Ninja Theory - A small studio that has only released 3 games over 10 years or so, Ninja Theory did it perfectly with DmC: Devil May Cry. Fully supporting our widescreen and multi-monitor requirements is impressive considering the game was originally released only for console.

Pocketwatch Games - This tiny developer has stormed onto the scene with the highly addictive co-op heist game Monaco. The game performs to the gold standard for all tested formats and shows how even the smallest of studios can still support all widescreen and multi-monitor formats without any fuss.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2014, 15:44 
Insiders
Insiders

I was torn between flying Wild hog and Ninja Theory - I like both devs, but I have to FWH have been a bit more consistent with there MM support.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2014, 17:07 
Editors
Editors

I voted for Minority.
if you want to try out Papa&Yo its on HumbleBundle right now!

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2014, 17:12 
Administrators
Administrators

I vote Minority, simply because I have little experience with the other titles, also big kudos go to Julian for approaching us and utilizing the resources we have to get great implementation, certainly a step in the right direction for a games dev :)

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2014, 18:04 
Editors
Editors

Flying Wild Hog because lovely DRM-free Shadow Warrior will probably not be GOTY. The Hard Reset guys have proven they were not a one-hit wonder, it's safe to say their next game will be gooood and Hor+.

My other choice would have been Klei. Never played Don't Starve, but 2012's Mark of the Ninja was gooood and... 16:9 anamorphic (yes, I'll add it to the MGL eventually). Here's hoping Don't Starve's level of support was no "accident" and Invisible, Inc. will be black bar-free as well !

Picking Minority makes sense, maybe just too much sense for this senseless guy :P