Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 21 May 2024, 06:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2009, 19:55 

Ironkeep Studios has brought as a community patch v1.0a for Gothic II Gold (G2+NoTR) that fixes the widescreen stretching

You must start a dialog with somebody to set VERT-. After that it will stay VERT- as long as you don't load or restart. Ironkeep Studios is working on the issue.

Err... isn't that the normal behavior of the game?

Just take a look at the screen shots in the start post: The game is stretched after loading but has a correct AR in the dialogue and it will stay that way. :D

If you want a correct AR all the time you should try my Widescreenfix :) : http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=16664

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 05:59 
Insiders
Insiders

Could you post this on the "confirmed solutions" board AND provide comparison screenshots? We need at least a 4:3 default behavior shot and a matching 16:10 fixed widescreen shot, and if possible, a 16:9 fixed shot and a TH (or faux-TH) fixed shot too.

Post subject: Gothic II NoTR [MOD]
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 18:59 

This modification avoids the AR stretching in Gothic II. :)

Without the stretch, the game is Vert- but with the optional Cam-Patch the game is somewhat Hor+ (Sry, but there is no FOV option). The Cam-Patch is currently optimized for 16:10 but even 16:9 and 15:9 look much better with it.

Installation:
1. Download the Fix (english, 53 MB): http://www.file-upload.net/download-1840980/Gothic_II_Widescreenfix-0.5.0.exe.html (german version: http://www.worldofgothic.de/dl/download_396.htm)
2. Make sure your Desktop resolution and Ingame resolution match.
3a. Try to install it.
3b. If the Installation fails, read this: http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showthread.php?p=3064197&#post3064197
4. Play the game. :)

Screens:

--------------------------

Original (after loading the game and without starting a dialog:)

Original 4:3 (correct AR and FOV)

Original 5:4 (squeezed AR, FOV unchanged)

Original 16:10 (stretched AR, FOV unchanged)

Original 16:9 (stretched AR, FOV unchanged)

Original TH: Not tested.

Patched (after loading:)

Patched 4:3 without Cam-Patch: same as original

Patched 5:4 without Cam-Patch (correct AR, FOV is VERT+)

Patched 16:10 with Cam-Patch (correct AR, FOV is HOR+ but also VERT- on the top)

Patched 16:9 with Cam-Patch (correct AR, FOV is HOR+/VERT-)

Patched TH: heavy graphic errors at 1680*350 (both windowed/Fullscreen) and crash at 5040*1050 (windowed). Maybe someone with a real TH can test the Mod but I guess it's unplayable because of VERT-. :|

As already said there is no FOV option that I can tweak, so I have to change the cameraposition which is pretty difficult. Maybe I will further tweak the Cam-Patch in the next version.

Known Bugs and Problems:

- When entering a world for the first time you have the save the game and load it again to recover the AR.
- Tracking shots remain Vert- but there are just ~5 of them at the end of the game so that shouldn't bother. :?
- I have only access to the english and german scripts but I needed to make some changes in the scripts. So if your game is e.g. Portuguese you may get english subs but the speech should be untouched.
- You can only play one modification at a time so this fix doesn't affect other mods. They remain stretched. :(
- Savegames of the original Game are not compatible.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 19:08 
Insiders
Insiders

What is the widescreenfix doing? It looks *barely* hor + and a lot vert -, plus the perspective is skewed. For instance, in the original 4:3, your guy's head is aligned with someone's feet.

But in the fixed 16:10, his head is beneath the same feet.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 20:13 

plus the perspective is skewed

Sounds like our old friend the camera position mod.

Post subject: Ummm, just looking for
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2012, 12:13 

Ummm, just looking for confirmation (thinking of buying this game from GOG), to get the desired result for 16:9, I would need to apply the "solution" (editing the .ini), "Mod 1", and THEN "Mod 2", one after another?

Just how I was reading it, I could skip straight to Mod as it looks to be the best option. Do I edit the ini, apply the community patch, and then apply mod 2, in that order?

Post subject: Re: Gothic II
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2015, 04:48 
Insiders
Insiders

I have updated the entry to cover Gothic ½ — SystemPack (ENG/DEU). This is a new, easier mod with fixes for some other remaining issues. Unfortunately it doesn't do anything for multi-monitor interface positioning (inventory/trading are at the far edges).