Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 11:02

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2009, 11:59 

Hello Everyone,
I'm belgian and french speaker, but I try to explain my problem without making too much mistakes. I'll be glad if you correct me.

So, actually, my problem is that the game Rise of Nations (its expansion Thrones an Patriots) doesn't want to run. It tells me, just after the introducing videos:
Rise of Nations cannot run with the monitor display mode set to 256 colors.
But my display ISN'T 256 colors but 32bits.

I HAVE READ THE SOLUTION POSTED HERE (http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=145&hilit=rise+of+nations) And I had already done this before, I've found it alone.
But it still doesn't work.

My notebook:

Screen resolution: 1024*600
Screen size: 10.2"
Colors: 32bits
Graphic Card : nVidia GeForce 9300M GS
OC: Vista

Can you help me? I'm looking forward to play for ages!
Thank you

Joyeuses fêtes :)

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2009, 20:56 
Editors
Editors

Ami Wallon, bonsoir :)

I don't suppose 16-bit colors helped ? Or Win98/XP compatibility modes ?
It seems a lot of Eeepc users are having the same issue. The game is probably not a fan of your native res. Did you try setting your desktop to 800x600 or 1024x768 before launching RoN ? Then you may be able to pick your native res from the in-game options.
If that doesn't work though, your mobile graphics chip may very well be hopelessly incompatible with the game... :/

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2009, 19:35 

Ami Wallon, bonsoir :)

Bonsoir à vous aussi! Merci :)

I don't suppose 16-bit colors helped ? Or Win98/XP compatibility modes ?

I tried both but nothing ever worked. It didn't event change a thing.

It seems a lot of Eeepc users are having the same issue. The game is probably not a fan of your native res. Did you try setting your desktop to 800x600

I tried this one, and it didn't work. I thought that the game would work on 640*480, I tried this resolution too and it had the same effect.

or 1024x768 before launching RoN ?

I can't try because when I try to chose the resolution (in the parameters of my screen) the resolution stops at 1024*600, and the button "Hide mods that my screen couldn't show" (it's in french so I don't really know how it is written in English Windows) is grey.

Then you may be able to pick your native res from the in-game options.

I checked two things in the in-game options:
I verified if it was possible to be in window-mode. -> No.
I watched the available resolutions: 1024*768, nothing else.

If that doesn't work though, your mobile graphics chip may very well be hopelessly incompatible with the game... :/

The problem is the screen. I've already played with this computer with a external monitor, and this works.

Thank you for help.

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2009, 23:14 
Editors
Editors

:doh Obviously, you can't put 1024x768 pixels on a 1024x600 screen... Sorry for the drunken suggestion.
I think that's just the problem, the game requires a 768-pixel height. :/
Good news though: the demo can be run in a window thanks to this value in rise2.ini:

FullScreen=0

In the demo rise2.ini is in the main install folder, but according to the Wiki yours must be in C:Documents and SettingsUSER NAMEApplication DataMicrosoft GamesRise of Nations.
(There's also some 'AllowAllResolutions' value in there, but it has no effect that I could find.)

I could run the demo windowed at 1024x768, 1280x768, 1280x800 but not at 800x600 or 1280x720.
Can you run the game in a 1024x768 window ? Is it playable ?

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2009, 23:28 

So
I tryed with the window mode in two resolutions:
1024*768: The problem is still there.
640*48 : The introduction videos are shown in a little window but the game is trying to launch in a full windows... and crashes as usually.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2009, 17:47 
Editors
Editors

Then I'd go for the old 'often disregarded, usually true' theory: weird graphical issue + laptop = the game is hopelessly incompatible with your GPU. :(

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2009, 18:36 

No problem, I have plenty of external monitors.
But, an hour ago, I was playing and I had to go for few minutes. Then I switched off the monitor... and when I came back, The game was on my laptop's computer, but the cursor was unsynchronised with the point of the screen!
I tried much things but I couldn't change the allowed resolutions.

Actually, it's good for me because I have to work :D