Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:01

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2008, 19:28 
Editors
Editors

------Mod Progress------ COMPLETE
BFME2 Widescreen -
[Admin Edit: Google flagged this link as malware, so we've had to remove it for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.]

BFME2 Triplehead -
[Admin Edit: Google flagged this link as malware, so we've had to remove it for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.]

RotWK Widescreen -

RotWK Triplehead -

**Users of non-English language versions of Windows, please see THIS POST for some details on how to get the mod working if you have problems. Thanks to MarQs for the information.

**For those using Windows Vista/7, see ika's post HERE about relocating the mod files if the default installation process doesn't work.

----------NEWS-----------
2008-11-01
-Finally! After much blood and sweat, the mods are finally complete. Download links are above. Please report any problems or other feedback.

2008-10-16
-Title graphic on main menu fixed, Tripehead versions looking very nice:

2008-10-13
-BFME2 Collector's Edition maps have been added to the BFME2 mod.
-Mod appears to be compatible with the engine's -mod switch, which means you won't need to change or delete any original files.

2008-09-21
-Next release is back on track. Per request I will be working to add BFME2 Collector's Edition maps to the mod.

2008-08-27
-Mod is still alive for those who might be concerned. The Triplehead tweaks just take more time.

2008-08-10
-The problem with sound FX being very quiet or inaudible due to the increased camera height has been fixed. Before/after samples on page 6 of this thread.

2008-08-08
-Thanks to Mergatroid for playtesting the entire BFME2 Good and Evil campaigns and the RotWK campaign and Epilogue! He has confirmed that the new camera setting works on all maps.
-Blue Mountain map from the BFME2 Good Campaign has been fixed and now features the modded camera. It will be included in the next release of the mod.
-BFME2 Argonath shellmap has been fixed for Triplehead. Here is a preview:

2008-08-06
-Many thanks to scavvenjahh for beta-testing the Triplehead tweaks on his surround setup. The changes will now be implemented and refined for all game maps.

2008-08-05
-Preliminary screenshot added indicating that the Triplehead camera mod will also work for 16:10 screens, allowing super-FOV.

2008-08-01
-Test versions are released! Download links are above. Install instructions are in the readme file. Please try the mods and report any feedback in this thread. I will do map testing as I have time, but it would be nice to have help. :) Triplehead versions are next!

2008-07-29
-Widescreen versions are nearly complete. Test releases should be available within the next couple of days. :) Triplehead versions are next, though they will require more time.

2008-07-25
-Progress monitors added.

2008-07-24
-Added screenshots and test info for Triplehead/surround resolutions. See this post.
-Updated Surround resolution with new FOV tweaks. See here.

2008-07-23
-Edited thread subject to reflect that mod will be for BFME2 and RotWK.
-Added poll question. Refer to new screenshot in this post. Remember that for the primary release I want the mod to be accessible/useful to as wide an audience as possible. I might consider subsequent versions with different settings should the demand be convincing. :wink: I am currently favoring a setting of 600, see here.

-------Original Post---------
Picking up on Mergatroid's tips, I've been working on fixing the camera for RotWK and I want some input.

Here are some various camera height settings:

The default setting of 300 is horribly constrained. I'm favoring somewhere in the 400-500 range. Getting up to the 600 range makes very tiny units which are harder to manage. Of course, the camera can always be zoomed in, so a setting of 600 doesn't force you to play at 600.

Also take note of how 'foggy' the map gets with an elevated camera

So what are your thoughts? Which camera setting should I use?

My intention is to tweak all the RotWK and original BFMEII maps with an elevated camera, then figure out the best way to release the files for others to use. I will be needing testers, for those interested.

Sidenote: In my testing I discovered that the CNC: Generals camera is easily tweaked by a simple .ini change because there is no 'default camera' setting for individual maps available in Worldbuilder for that game. This feature was added later as they enhanced the engine for the BFME games, the downside being that the .ini change no longer works (at least not reliably).

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2008, 20:07 
Insiders
Insiders

The only RTS I play is Darwinia. But if I played others I would go for the highest camera possible. I like to see whats going on. I couldn't play Warhammer 40K for this reason. (Also was on a widescreen at the time with horrible Vert-).

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2008, 20:16 

500 Imo.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 02:11 
Editors
Editors

Well, DaFox may take it in a landslide if there are no more votes. :wink: :P

I couldn't play Warhammer 40K for this reason. (Also was on a widescreen at the time with horrible Vert-).

Yeah, that game just about holds the worst record for WS implementation. It was bad to start with, then they made it worse with subsequent patches. I've heard that Dark Crusade finally got it right, but I don't have that game.

(...runs off....checks the MGL)

Okay, so it looks like DC is still Vert -. When will they learn...?

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 02:38 
Insiders
Insiders

They did learn. I forget the exact name but it was a Warhammer game and it took place in prehistoric times or something. It even supported surround gaming.

I agree with DaFox. 500 is a great balance between being able to see a lot, and still being able to see whats on the ground.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 02:46 

Alternatively you could provide all of them could you not?

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 05:25 
Editors
Editors

Alternatively you could provide all of them could you not?

:shock:

Yes, I could. However, for each camera setting I would need to load/change/save every map, then re-pack them all into separate maps.big files. This could quickly add up to hundreds of map tweaks, which I'd like to avoid. (...and this is where I shake my fist at EA for invalidating the simple .ini method that works so well with Generals. :x )

This is why I'd like to settle on a single camera setting that will be useful for most people. 500 is looking good.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 09:52 
Editors
Editors

One more vote for 500. I like to be allowed to zoom out as far as possible but I reckon 600 would probably be overkill for most players.

Thanks for bothering with that :)

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 16:54 
Founder
Founder

Once you get it done, are you going to have us host it for you?

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 17:17 
Editors
Editors

Once you get it done, are you going to have us host it for you?

That would be fine with me. Do you have any problem with hosting a modified game file? I haven't read the EULA for the game or map tool, but I doubt it will be a problem.

Most likely I will need to offer the mod as a repackaged maps.big file (~83MB). I will also try to create a smaller 'patch' executable that just does byte patching of the original file, but patchers can get tricky with large files.

How many of you guys can beta test this?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next