Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2013, 01:45 
Insiders
Insiders

I got a request from a user over the 3D Vision Geforce (nvidia) forums to see if I can fix Bioshock 2 for Surround. And since I never played the game somehow.... I grabbed it from Steam and took a look...

And since today I was lazy of working on my Master's Project, I thought hey, let's see it...

MAN THE GAME IS A MESSSSSSS For surround! (PERIOD)
- Hud is stretched,
- FOV is weird,
- INSANE Horizontal mouse acceleration,
- Hands+gun are waaay to close,
- etc

I spent like 20 minutes to understand what arrow he was asking about:)) only to see later that it wasn't displayed at all:)))))
So, after a couple of hours+, I managed to fix all the above aspects (except mouse acceleration that can be tweaked from the ini file):

So here it is, Bioshock 2 in glorious Surround:)

(As you can see this is the FULL looking HUD - Nothing to do about the helmet thing, but I think there is an option in game to disable it??? so then I can adjust the HANDS fov even further;)) )

At the moment this is WORK in PROGRESS (so no actual plugin exists- just a bunch of hacks and random code so I can't "release" anything yet:) )

A couple of things are still not working:
- In Menus the "logical Buttons" still exist on their previous location (spanned HUD)
- Since this a "Games for Windows Live" title, GWFL has some crappy "checks" and currently crashes my game if I alter it (fix the above). Fear not, this also needs to be patched like I did for Dark Souls;)) but I haven't done it yet.
- Since I didn't had time to play the game and test it "in-depth" all other undiscovered problems remains;))

If you know about other problems in game (since you obviously played the game in Surround more than I did) let me know;))

-I expect it will work properly with 3D Vision HelixMod patch in DX9 mode.
- I will probably, finish the plugin and release it after 16-20 august;)) but I wanted to show you that, like I said, it can be fixed and now, well it is :)))))

Best Regards,
HelifaxEDIT:
As per nVidia recommendations "to disable the Helmet HUD" I managed to achieve this perfect Surround look;))

Only website to show TRUE 3D Vision Surround Gaming Videos(viewable by anyone) only at
3D Vision Surround Gallery

E-mail and Paypal (for people who wants it): [email protected]

Last edited by helifax on 14 Aug 2013, 00:41, edited 1 time in total.
Edit

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2013, 04:11 
Insiders
Insiders

WOOHOOO!

This fix will work for Eyefinity too right?

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2013, 04:11 
Insiders
Insiders

This is massive Helifax, thanks for looking into it for us, I love the game but have been putting off finishing it for it is jacked up in surround.

Am looking forward to your fix :rockout: , thanks.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2013, 07:37 
Insiders
Insiders

Probably the reason why it wasn't fixed in the past was because it is so broken, so I commend you for taking on the project! I never actually played 1 or 2 on PC, so it would be good to see this work.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2013, 13:00 
Insiders
Insiders

MobsterOO7 wrote:
WOOHOOO!

This fix will work for Eyefinity too right?

I see no reason why it wouldn't work, unless the engine behaves a bit different on AMD drivers...but I doubt this is the case. One way to find out I guess;))

Yes, I haven't played bio1 or bio2 at all..somehow I missed it when they released and I kept saying I will :)))) I was "amazed" to see the Eyefinity/Surround support they "officially" introduced in patch 1.2 (that is highly mediated on the web). Besides kinda fixing the main FOV everything else was kinda broken:))))

Once my project is over, I plan to release it (along other 2 games including Dragon Age 2 and SW Academy - have the fix from thelolotov for almost half a year now:)) )

Only website to show TRUE 3D Vision Surround Gaming Videos(viewable by anyone) only at

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2013, 14:43 

Great news, I suffered through the quirks (having no quest arrow was the worst) and completed the game in triplewide, but after recently finishing Bioshock Infinite, I have restarted Bioshock 1, and plan to then redo Bioshock 2.

I think Bioshock 1 is still my favorite as I have a sense of wonder and amazement (and some fear!) still from when I first played it, one of the great games that manages to make me turn tail and run when I am out of ammo and health and something is crawling on the ceiling after me! Infinite was very good, but never really challenged me or had the sense of dread when going up against a Big Daddy.

Core i7-8086K @ 5.0 Ghz | H60 | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti 6GB | Soundblaster Z | Asus Z370-A

16GB DDR4 | Win10 x64 | 3x27" Asus IPS @ 5760x1080 | Samsung 970 1TB NVMe

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2013, 23:55 
Insiders
Insiders

I managed to finish the plugin.
And everything works as expected and as described above;))

Remember to use it with the latest version of WideScreen Fixer. As for the game, I have it from Steam but I patched to the latest version via GFWL (Games for Windows Live) so I expect the fix to work on any ORIGINAL version patched to 1.5.0.019

If you have any problems let me know:)

Use the plugin attached in this post.

Best Regards,
Helifax

Attachments:
File comment: BioShock 2 Plugin
Plugin.BioShock 2.rar [14.7 KiB]
Downloaded 403 times

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2013, 19:07 
Insiders
Insiders

Thank you so much for fixing this game!

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2013, 19:37 
Insiders
Insiders

MobsterOO7 wrote:
Thank you so much for fixing this game!

Glad that it works;) I agree is awesome in Surround/Eyefinity to play it;))

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2013, 20:33 
Insiders
Insiders

Thanks very much, helifax! I've always meant to get around to Bioshock 2 and now I've got a good reason to give it a go.