Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 13:01

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2015, 13:08 

Well, how to introduce,
i searched a long time something to adjust my "Battlestation". Starting with a normal desk and a triple monitor stand i realized Sims where not so easy, a typical desk is too high for joysticks. So i searched the web and found a manufacturer called

http://obutto.eu

Their first version looked nice, but not exactly what i wanted, after waiting 2 more years they released their R3volution

Its not cheap, but compared with other products it comes with many extras included in their regular cockpit, and some extras which you need to buy optional.

So i decided after talking to my wife, grand master general in charge, what she would think about spending so much money. Well my wife is really cool, so i got her ok, and decided to buy.

It was about 1000 EUR, but seemed to fit every need. Im having that cockpit now over a year, and some thoughts about it.

First of all, read carefully if you decide to buy too, sometimes they include extras in the basic package, i did not read what was included that time, so that i now got 2 cup holders, and 2 adjustable desks.

My cockpit contains the

R3volution
Triple Monitor Mount
Warthog Mounts

Delivery:
I live in germany and the product came from portugal. On the one side it was fun checking UPS where the truck is at the moment, on the other side it took 4 days until it got to my home. Well, got some valium and managed to survive those 4 days ;)

Packages:
Holy gosh, 13 Packages, and only 4 side mounting description.....

Thats me, trying not got get insane...

Quality:
Lots of screws, lots of pieces, but they are all nicely crafted, everything fitted where it should, if there werent videos on the obutto side where you get the parts explained, we would screw it toghether even today.

Well in most parts of the videos he is talking uninteresting things, after minutes of watching he explains in 5 seconds what to do, what? hey, stop, rewind, and again, rewind, again, and then you realize what he did.
It took about 3 hours to get it all together.

Monitor Stand and the rest of the cockpit are two pieces, so you can adjust the width. A little mess whas the monitor stand and the vesa mounts on it. You can adjust monitors poor 5cm in height, so if the outer monitors where too high or too low, but screwing the arms 180° upside down made them in a better angle.

The seat is of acceptable quality, you fastly start to sweat in that nylon/plastic seat cover.

You got a bunch of mounting holes left and right of the seat, so you are free to put everything where you like it.

The Revolution is capable of 6 monitos, but its a little bit tricky, even with my 8kg 22" monitors. The normal triple mount works nice, getting the middle down monitor i needed so build my own adapter, and using the down left and right vesa instead of the acrylic desks will lead into a mess. Even 8kg is too much so that these mounts will go down, you cant fix monitors in a parallel position.

After all i think its a price worth cockpit.

It was a good investment, but next time i would choose to build up a wooden selfmade cockpit. On the other side beneath flight sims a play a lot other games, and its easy to unstick joysticks and stick a desk into the right place. The complete parts are about 30kg. so even transporting monitor stand and seat stand can be done by 2 people, without dismounting everything.

You can check out more on my blog, link in my signature.

1st: [email protected], MSI X58 Pro-e, 24 GB Tripplechannel 1333, TUL R9 280X and Powercolor 7970 @ Crossfire with 2x Samsung 226CW 1x Dell P2210 @ 5040x1050 and Iiyama 2250MTS @ 1920x1080, Bequit Darkpower P8 1200W, G13, G15, G35, Hotas Warthog, Saitek Rudder, Saitek Yoke, Obutto R3volution Cockpit
http://ralfesser.de

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2015, 19:50 
Founder
Founder

That is awesome. I saw that Linus from Linus Tech Tips was going to do a review on one. What game is that where you can get the 3x1 + the instrument panel?

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2015, 02:51 

skipclarke wrote:
That is awesome. I saw that Linus from Linus Tech Tips was going to do a review on one. What game is that where you can get the 3x1 + the instrument panel?

Thats DCS A-10 with gadrocs "Helios" and LOZSM
http://www.gadrocsworkshop.com/node/9

But as everything, its all kinda bugged. Helios is not updated in months, dcs is only DX9 with also poor performance.

Im actually waiting for new MS Flight Sim 2015, and sometimes im playing x-plane 10 with panel builder on that touchscreen in the middle.

oh and for better handling i bought a warthog joystick extension from here
http://www.simpit.co.nz/index.php/produ ... -extension

1st: [email protected], MSI X58 Pro-e, 24 GB Tripplechannel 1333, TUL R9 280X and Powercolor 7970 @ Crossfire with 2x Samsung 226CW 1x Dell P2210 @ 5040x1050 and Iiyama 2250MTS @ 1920x1080, Bequit Darkpower P8 1200W, G13, G15, G35, Hotas Warthog, Saitek Rudder, Saitek Yoke, Obutto R3volution Cockpit
http://ralfesser.de

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2015, 19:29 

Hi Falke,

I'm considering a R3volution and I saw you mention that you would just build a wooden one next time. Can I ask you why? Also, what are you using to mount the touch screen to? The wheel mount?

Thanks,
Simon